Roster changes coming?

wildcard

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

What is Araujo 60 days?

Sorry, early morning confusion about Rule 5. Maybe Hess comes back after Melville makes a start in Tillman's spot.

If they are forced to choose between Araujo and Wright, it will be interesting to see which one goes. Araujo is a DD guy, Wright is a Brady guy. If I am Araujo, I am not signing a long term lease on an apartment in Baltimore.

49 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If they are forced to choose between Araujo and Wright, it will be interesting to see which one goes. Araujo is a DD guy, Wright is a Brady guy. If I am Araujo, I am not signing a long term lease on an apartment in Baltimore.

For at least three reasons, I’d rather keep Araujo:

1.    He’s 3.5 years younger.

2.    If he makes it through this year, he has three options, whereas Wright has none.

3.   If we DFA Wright, I believe nobody will claim him and he can be outrighted to Norfolk.     If we DFA Araujo, I believe the Cubs will buy him back and put him back in their minor league system.    

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

2.    If he makes it through this year, he has three options, whereas Wright has none.

3.   If we DFA Wright, I believe nobody will claim him and he can be outrighted to Norfolk.     If we DFA Araujo, I believe the Cubs will buy him back and put him back in their minor league system.    

I agree.   Araujo has upside.  Wright has used up all his chances.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I would be thrilled to see Wright go.

26 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Why not let Hess start again?

Wednesday would be short rest for Hess and they definitely won't do that to him again.  He is supposedly in consideration to start in Boston over the weekend.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Castro start on Wednesday.  He performed well backing up Tillman.

7 minutes ago, OrioleRedenbacher said:

Wednesday would be short rest for Hess and they definitely won't do that to him again.  He is supposedly in consideration to start in Boston over the weekend.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Castro start on Wednesday.  He performed well backing up Tillman.

The way this weather is looking this week, going to be a wet one, going on short rest, might not be an issue.

8 minutes ago, OrioleRedenbacher said:

The question would be: how deep could he go?

The game on Thursday was a bit of a ramp up and if he's not used before Wednesday it would be more than sufficient rest, but could we reasonably expect THAT much more than the 65 pitches he threw against Kansas City? Maybe he goes 80? Is that enough for the O's to go to him? With an off day today, maybe, as long the pen isn't overtaxed tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

The question would be: how deep could he go?

The game on Thursday was a bit of a ramp up and if he's not used before Wednesday it would be more than sufficient rest, but could we reasonably expect THAT much more than the 65 pitches he threw against Kansas City? Maybe he goes 80? Is that enough for the O's to go to him? With an off day today, maybe, as long the pen isn't overtaxed tomorrow.

Yea, I thought about that.  As much as the pen has been taxed I'm sure they want to avoid a staff day mid-week.  But avoiding Melville means avoiding a roster decision...

Also, as RedskinsRick points out, even one rain out (Tuesday or Wednesday, nevermind both) makes this a moot point and you probably see Hess in Boston - another reason I think they'll hesitate to plan on Melville and any corresponding roster move needed.

3 minutes ago, OrioleRedenbacher said:

Yea, I thought about that.  As much as the pen has been taxed I'm sure they want to avoid a staff day mid-week.  But avoiding Melville means avoiding a roster decision...

Also, as RedskinsRick points out, even one rain out (Tuesday or Wednesday, nevermind both) makes this a moot point and you probably see Hess in Boston - another reason I think they'll hesitate to plan on Melville and any corresponding roster move needed.

With all the ifs and buts, I think Buck and DD, play this out, one day at a time.

15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think you better go looks up their numbers the last two weeks.

He is hitting .269 this month with a .269 OBP.  Yeah better but still nothing special and he is 32 year old catcher that should not be a part of this teams future with Sisco and Wynns. He does lead the league in errors at catcher though and has thrown out 21% of runners.  Austin Wynns has played pretty well down in Norfolk hitting .269 with OBP of .346.  He has not thrown out runners that well but has in past and is noted for his defense.  We know what Joseph is at this point and he won't be apart of this team next year so i would rather see what we have in the two younger guys that an aging catcher on a team going nowhere. 

6 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

He is hitting .269 this month with a .269 OBP.  Yeah better but still nothing special and he is 32 year old catcher that should not be a part of this teams future with Sisco and Wynns. He does lead the league in errors at catcher though and has thrown out 21% of runners.  Austin Wynns has played pretty well down in Norfolk hitting .269 with OBP of .346.  He has not thrown out runners that well but has in past and is noted for his defense.  We know what Joseph is at this point and he won't be apart of this team next year so i would rather see what we have in the two younger guys that an aging catcher on a team going nowhere. 

Caleb is slashing .275/.293/.500/.793 over his last 13 games. 
Sisco is slashing .200/.282/.429/.711 over his last 13 games.

Now I'm not against Sisco getting more time behind the plate and it appears Buck has been doing so. I just think there seems to be some illusion by some that Joseph is some awful hindrance to this team winning or that he's not a major league catcher.

I do think Caleb is off to a slow start overall and his defense has been down this year, but I don't think he's going to be DFA'd anytime soon. Sisco has been pleasantly pretty solid behind the plate overall. He's thrown the ball much better than he ever has in the minor leagues and although he's still behind Caleb for game calling, he hasn't been awful and seems to do a pretty good job honestly.

I don't think there's any surprise that Sisco has gotten better while under Caleb's tutelage and by watching him go about his business. Now, anyone on this team should be available for trade so if Joseph could bring some kind of prospect back in return then I think you consider trading him, but he's not just going be DFA'd to bring up a younger guy who's ceiling is a backup catcher. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Now I'm not against Sisco getting more time behind the plate and it appears Buck has been doing so. I just think there seems to be some illusion by some that Joseph is some awful hindrance to this team winning or that he's not a major league catcher.

I do think Caleb is off to a slow start overall and his defense has been down this year, but I don't think he's going to be DFA'd anytime soon. Sisco has been pleasantly pretty solid behind the plate overall. He's thrown the ball much better than he ever has in the minor leagues and although he's still behind Caleb for game calling, he hasn't been awful and seems to do a pretty good job honestly.

I don't think there's any surprise that Sisco has gotten better while under Caleb's tutelage and by watching him go about his business. Now, anyone on this team should be available for trade so if Joseph could bring some kind of prospect back in return then I think you consider trading him, but he's not just going be DFA'd to bring up a younger guy who's ceiling is a backup catcher. 

Considering how hard it is for a catcher to stay healthy, I think it makes me cautious to deal one of these two.

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

All four of the O's catchers on the 40 man roster have options including Caleb.   They don't need to DFA any catcher.   Caleb in the veteran and mentor.   He probably stays on the roster this  season.   ST will be interesting because Susac will be out of options at that point.

Archived