Roster changes coming?

wildcard

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

For all those who criticize DD, let me say this.I know the man well. He has many ideas that have been vetoed.He's had what I thought were great deals nixed at the last minute by Peter. So many of the criticisms are not well informed...hes a scapegoat in many situations...not all, but many.I don't think Dan will be back next year, and in some peoples minds its because he "failed". I don't think he has at all. But without the complete story, peoples opinion of him are skewed...and thats the reality.

DD doesn't get enough credit. GM seems like a thankless job in general.

On 5/13/2018 at 8:27 AM, Tx Oriole said:

Melville and Hess yes but Rickard not so much. 

I don't understand the dislike of Rickard.  He plays defense, has speed, and has hit pretty well this year (and on and off in the past).  He may not be a ML regular for the long term, but he's one of the best OF options we have right now, and he deserves the shot he seems to be getting now that Santander is in AA.  He just turned 27, and could still have a few peak years ahead of him.

15 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

For all those who criticize DD, let me say this.I know the man well. He has many ideas that have been vetoed.He's had what I thought were great deals nixed at the last minute by Peter. So many of the criticisms are not well informed...hes a scapegoat in many situations...not all, but many.I don't think Dan will be back next year, and in some peoples minds its because he "failed". I don't think he has at all. But without the complete story, peoples opinion of him are skewed...and thats the reality.

People fail to give DD enough credit for what he has done here building on what Andy M started.

14 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I am sorry. I didn't mean you were bothered. I couldn't think of the correct word to use. 

Mark Reynolds has a brick for a glove at third, and while Mark is decent at 1st, and has a good bat, he has no business at third. IMO.

17 hours ago, wildcard said:

Dan signed Gentry for 900k,  Valencia for 1.25m,  Pedro Alvarez for 1M.  I doubt Peter weighed in on any of those.   Flaherty would have been in the ball park.  He got 1.9m plus 300K in performance bonus.     You know Buck wanted him back.  Not signing Flaherty has Dan's fingerprints all over it.`

It doesn't, Ryan has been around for how many seasons before?

He filled an important role, and Buck/DD must have been in agreement for some time on that.

Its not like they had anybody better in the system or on the FA market.

4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

It doesn't, Ryan has been around for how many seasons before?

He filled an important role, and Buck/DD must have been in agreement for some time on that.

Its not like they had anybody better in the system or on the FA market.

Why do you think that Buck and Dan were in agreement on not re-signing Flaherty?

55 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Why do you think that Buck and Dan were in agreement on not re-signing Flaherty?

Pretty sure the Troika wanted him back but did not get "clubwide approval" 9_9 

"

The Orioles had their opportunity to match the Phillies’ offer, and Flaherty was even willing to return for less money, but their counteroffer didn’t get club-wide approval in time to meet the Phillies’ deadline, so he had to take the offer that was on the table.

A similar situation happened earlier in the offseason with Goins, according to a source, that the Orioles had a major league deal worked out to fill the team’s utility spot, but it didn’t get ownership approval in time, and Goins signed a minor league deal with the Royals."http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-bs-orioles-flaherty-20180225-story.html

17 hours ago, wildcard said:

I dont think it was DD that held that up. IMO

Its a moot point now. DD is gone and they either bring Buck back as manager or they clean the board and start anew. Again, IMO of what will happen, not that I am in favor of this.

Keep Scott or Wright?

O'Day's return projected for this weekend and the need for a 5th starter on Sunday or Monday (Boston weather permitting) in the person on Hess will cause the O's to make a decision on whether to keep Tanner Scott on the team or keep Mike Wright.    

The O's will probably option Hart to make room for one of the additions but the other is the Scott/Wright decision. Scott as been productive.  Wright has been living on the edge for a while.  If they DFA Wright he may or may not make it through waivers. If he does make it through he will have to accept being assigned to Norfolk because this is the first time he has been outrighted.    He will keep his major league salary while in the minors this season.

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Why do you think they weren't? 

There are 3 scenarios here:

1. King Peter wouldnt sign off

2. DD didnt want Ryan back

3. Buck didnt want Ryan here and his words to the media about wanting him back, was just being nice.

20 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

What would it cost for us to straight release Davis, money-wise? I guess how much is guaranteed that he would get a year?

Here's what Chris is owed via Cots Contracts:

7 years/$161M (2016-22)

• re-signed by Baltimore as a free agent 1/21/16
  • 16-22: salaries of $23M annually, with $17M paid as earned and $6M deferred without interest
  • the $42M in deferred money is to be paid in 10 installments of $3.5M annually each July 1, 2023-32, and five installments of $1.4M each July 1, 2033-37
  • MLB calculates present-day value to $147,831,478 with deferrals, while the MLBPA’s present-day value calculation is $147,737,635
  • limited no-trade protection

http://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/baltimore-orioles/

So...if you figure all this out, at the end of this season, he'll have been paid $51M.   Subtract that from $161M, and you've got roughly $110M.   

Archived