Tell me how this happens and don't tell me good organization

weams

Tillman will sign with Houston and instantly throw 96 and be in the top 5 in CY Young voting. Book it haha.

I doubt Morton or Altuve are all natural players. Just like Nelson Cruz. I've accepted it. I wish Bundy could help his velocity. He'd be unhittable.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

Maybe I missed it in the article but I didn't see them list his different arm slot for his success.

I've watched two of Morton's starts this year and the Stros announcers have mentioned how the coaching staff recommended he change his shoulder slot or something along those lines during spring.

It was similar with the Cubs and Arrieta.

Dr. Trevor Bauer has his theories:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/01/sports/trevor-bauer-astros-pitching.html

Glad I picked him for my fantasy team :) 

I've always had a theory that there are a lot of ballplayers out there that are on the fringe that need to make a slight adjustment here or there to make them an every day player or a superstar.  Anyone who can stick at the ML level for a bit probably has all the tools necessary, ridiculous hand eye/coordination and strength.  They just need to make an adjustment, find that coach who can help them turn it around.  

Look at Joey Bats.  Dude was a AAAA type, then went to Toronto, picked up his leg and all of a sudden he's a power hitter.  That's all it took.  

Charlie Morton, same deal.  Looks like he streamlined some things, now he's throwing gas and a Cy Young frontrunner.  

14 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Good pitching coaches make a world of difference.

Strom is very involved at the Texas Baseball Ranch and they are a very forward thinking group. I know that Verlander and many, many others have benefited from their programs. I am a big believer in the TBR and the Florida Baseball Ranch. My son went to FBR two years ago to rehab after labrum surgery and they not only got him back healthy, they worked on his movement patterns so he remains pain free for the first time in his life. He went to TBR last summer and again had a jump in velocity and remains healthy. I know that the Rays are a big believer in the FBR and have the FBR staff at their spring training. I think this is a big reason for both organizations success with pitchers.

1 hour ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Verlander, Gerritt Cole and Charlie Morton are #1, 2 and 3 in ERA right now in the American League.

Something is going on in Houston...

Justin Verlander just needed to break up with Kate Upton. She was obviously taking alot out of him haha.

23 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Justin Verlander just needed to break up with Kate Upton. She was obviously taking alot out of him haha.

Just remembered they got married. Same difference as breaking up. His resurgence coincides with getting married lol.

Morton is an interesting case; his big velocity bump started in Philly in 2016.  It had been as high as 94mph in PIT so it's not like he never threw hard but its certainly bizarre to see the late career increase in velocity.

Year	4Seam	Team
2008	92.47	ATL
2009	93.47	PIT
2010	94.17	PIT
2011	93.02	PIT
2012	91.97	PIT
2013	94.26	PIT
2014	92.67	PIT
2015	92.78	PIT
2016	95.22	PHI
2017	96.10	HOU
2018	96.97	HOU

The Astros had everything fall incorrectly for a few years, bit the bullet to rebuild, switched leagues and

They were dead last in payroll in 2013 (22 million!!!) and 2014 (44 million) and were close to the bottom after cutting back after 2011. Second to last in 2015 and last in 2016.  They seemed to either make every personnel decision correctly or get insanely lucky...its just bizare.  They did everything right but have made very few mistakes on top of that while seeing Verlander and Morton are having career years.  I seriously thought Verlander was on his way out when he got traded to Houston and he looks like hes in his prime.  

On 5/13/2018 at 12:53 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, Altuve....

Good comp...

Maybe Didi as well...

I was thinking Didi also, after I made this post...partly because you had referenced his increased power over the past couple of years in another thread.

1 minute ago, Flash- bd said:

So to be clear, what's the accusation here? That they're using pine tar or whatever or that they're using PEDs, or both? 

If so, can MLB really be that bad at policing this stuff, still?  

MLB doesn't much care about pine tar or bullfrog.  Most of the time the Umps let it slide.

Archived