Renato Nunez Claimed from Texas

Legend_Of_Joey

On 4/27/2019 at 10:18 AM, Moose Milligan said:

I want to see how he adjusts after he experiences a slump before thinking about if it's sustainable or not.

o

Nunez had a 3-week slump between April 28th and May 19th, in which he batted .083 with an .098 OBP, and a .248 OPS in 60 Plate Appearances.

He hit 1 Home Run in that span.

Since then he has batted .379  with a .454 OBP, and a 1.487 OPS  in 33 Plate Appearances.

He hit 5 Home Runs in that span.

o

• Upvote 3

https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-clearly-we-need-to-talk-about-renato-nunez/

His HR/FB rate is sitting at a career-best 19.1% and is accompanied by a career-best 43% hard-hit rate (according to Baseball Info), as well as a Statcast hard-hit rate of 46.1%, another career-best, and a 14.8% barrel rate—again, another career-best.

Oh, and that barrel rate? It’s good for 28th-best in all of baseball, ahead of guys such as Ronald Acuna, Cody Bellinger, and Bryce Harper. In fact, the power numbers on his Statcast page are beautiful.

So what changed? His batting stance and his swing are the same; what’s changed is where he’s hitting the ball. Specifically, he’s pulling the ball more than he ever has before, and it’s been working beautifully.

Right now, his pull rate sits at a career-high 52.8%, and his opposite field rate is sitting at a career-low 19%. For reference, that pull rate is good for the seventh-highest in baseball (Wil Myers leads the league with a 60% pull rate).

That’s a good thing for Nunez because when he pulls the ball, he hits really well, and when he hits to the opposite field, he hits like hot garbage.

2 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

Decent writeup.

I think what we might be seeing here is a late bloomer.  I'm not saying he's going to become the next JD Martinez but I wouldn't be surprised to see him improve a little bit when it comes to walk rate.  He does seem to have a bit of a plan at the plate unlike a guy like Hanser who's going to swing away at anything thrown in his general direction.  

Not a bad pickup at all.  Nice to get a guy who's putting it together for us instead of one of our castoffs finding success somewhere else.

52 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. GIANTS, 6/02)

With a Double and a Walk in 4 Plate appearances this afternoon, Nunez got back to the .300 OBP mark for the first time since May 1.

o

If he could get his OBP to .330 on the year that'd be something.  Probably means he's gotta hit .280 as his separation is usually .050 points or thereabouts...I dunno if he's a .280 hitter.

Good time to make comparisons with last season because of roughly similar ABs:

2018: 200 ABs, 7 bombs, 20 RBIs; .275/.336/.445/.781

2019: 208 ABs, 15 bombs, 35 RBIs; .250/.300/.514/.815

As an Oriole: .262, 22 HRs, 23 Doubles, 55 RBIs in only 117 games played. If one multiplies that by 1.28 (to get a 150-game projection), that comes to 28 HRs, 29 doubles, 70 RBIs.

Since he has a good-enough arm, I hope there's some way to improve his defensive skills to an acceptable level.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2019 at 6:21 PM, Moose Milligan said:

If he could get his OBP to .330 on the year that'd be something.  Probably means he's gotta hit .280 as his separation is usually .050 points or thereabouts...I dunno if he's a .280 hitter.

Better chance of him eventually walking more to get his OBP up rather than becoming a .280 hitter IMO.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Time to package Santander, Sisco & Nunez for someone sick at baseball. Perfect sell high moment, hopefully Elias doesn’t miss this window.

Agreed.  But this sick swat is just what the doctor ordered.  I just wish that Joe Angel was still around to give it the best Spanish interpretation.  Jonron!  Quadrangular!  Encendido!  

8 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

We were blessed on the radio & television when I grew up, the sounds of those voices are more comforting than just about anything - phenomenal company each summer evening.

I grew up in NY and NYY had Mel Allen and Red Barber, NYG had Russ Hodges and (before they came to Baltimore) Ernie Harwell and Bill O'Donnell, (I believe) and Dodgers had Red Barber (after he left NYY and Vin Scully.  Mel used to pop the sponsor's Ballantine Ale after the game on tv and drink it down - awesome!  Baltimore had one of the greatest in Chuck, then Jon Miller and Joe Angel.  Jim Hunter is still working on his "chops, IMHO.

32 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I grew up in NY, and the New York Yankees had Mel Allen and Red Barber, the New York Giants had Russ Hodgesand (before they came to Baltimore) Ernie Harwell and Bill O'Donnell, (I believe) and the Brooklyn Dodgers had Red Barber (after he left the Yankees and Vin Scully. Mel used to pop the sponsor's Ballantine Ale after the game on TV, and drink it down - it was awesome !!! Baltimore had one of the greatest in Chuck Thompason, then Jon Miller and Joe Angel. Jim Hunter is still working on his "chops," IMHO.

o

Do you remember in the early 70's, when the Yankees' car brand from the WPIX-11 commercials was Datsun, and they used it as their bullpen car ???

And the song for the commercial went ........ Drive a Datsun ........ then decide ........

Here is the bullpen car from those days ........

Image result for Yankees bullpen car datsun

o

• Upvote 1