Renato Nunez Claimed from Texas

Legend_Of_Joey

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

This is where I am on Nunez. I like him well enough to play the next year or two and show whether he can be something or not. He'll have a chance until Mountcastle can push his way up (if he can stay at 3B). From there, we will have an idea of whether Nunez can be a useable piece for the future.

I'm with you on that.

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Put it this way; there's no harm in seeing how he does for the rest of the season, but hopefully we don't build a team by shopping often at the scrap heap.  

Yes I agree. DD was adept at the beginning of our run of mining from the scrap heap. It's no way to build a core, but it's not unimportant in finding a nugget or two. 

• Upvote 1

His defense has really improved since coming up to the Orioles. It was still bad in Norfolk, but he seems like a different player now.

Hopefully it stays this way. If it does, I will gladly say that I was wrong about his potential before.

Also on a side note, I do wonder if this leads the Orioles to believe Dickerson, should he stay past this season, could improve Mountcastle at 3rd? Also, I do wonder what kept them from testing out Drew Dosch with Coach Dickerson earlier?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is Nunez really this entrenched at 3rd?  I’d like to see at least one or Wilkerson, Dosch, or Corban Joseph get some ABs there. 

Entrenched ?  Probably not.  But Nunez is a younger prospect (24) than any of the three you mention.  He has been a good hitter in the minors with the knock on him being his defense.   Working with Dickerson he has improved his defense.      I don't think Dosch or Corban have any chance of beating out Nunez at 3rd.   Wilkerson is not back from his injury yet but is supposed to play in the AFL this fall. Wilkerson appears to being groomed to be a utility player but could give Nunez some competition at 3rd  next year.

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is Nunez really this entrenched at 3rd?  I’d like to see at least one or Wilkerson, Dosch, or Corban Joseph get some ABs there. 

I have no desire to see Dosch or Joseph get any ABs over Nunez. I'd be okay with a call up for either as a thanks for being good org players, but don't see either as anything more than that, org players. As for Wilkerson, he's a potential utility guy so I wouldn't mind him getting some ABs at 3B along with other spots around the infield.

17 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I have no desire to see Dosch or Joseph get any ABs over Nunez. I'd be okay with a call up for either as a thanks for being good org players, but don't see either as anything more than that, org players. As for Wilkerson, he's a potential utility guy so I wouldn't mind him getting some ABs at 3B along with other spots around the infield.

Didn't see Nunez being anything more than an org player, but look what happened. I want to see what Dosch can do when working with Dickerson.

Even after Nunez has exceeded a lot of peoples' expectations, he's still hit for just a .681 OPS, and he's certainly no more than adequate defensively, so... I'm not at all enthused by the thought of him starting next season.  I'd rather see Wilkerson batting against righties, and find someone else to bat against lefties - since Nunez and Wilkerson both bat best against righties.  Maybe later in the year, bring Bannon into the mix - though I think his future is at 2nd base.  Dosch is another guy who can't hit lefties, so I wouldn't even consider him.          

1 hour ago, Thato'sfan said:

well Nunez was once a highly touted prospect...he has better tools than Joseph or Dosch

So was Susac, he had better tools than Joseph, Wynns, and Sisco. That went well.

Beckham was a highly touted prospect...That...Went well 

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Even after Nunez has exceeded a lot of peoples' expectations, he's still hit for just a .681 OPS, and he's certainly no more than adequate defensively, so... I'm not at all enthused by the thought of him starting next season.  I'd rather see Wilkerson batting against righties, and find someone else to bat against lefties - since Nunez and Wilkerson both bat best against righties.  Maybe later in the year, bring Bannon into the mix - though I think his future is at 2nd base.  Dosch is another guy who can't hit lefties, so I wouldn't even consider him.          

The thing that concerns me, his fielding has gotten a lot better but his offense has gone downhill quickly. Then he started having his "throwing quirk" at 3rd again where he shuffles his feet a few times before throwing. It was gone for a but, now it pops up.

Bannon needs work. His offense and defense weren't that great when he came over. I agree about 2nd though.

Dosch is a lefty, so that does screw him. But later in the game, pinch hit.

22 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

So was Susac, he had better tools than Joseph, Wynns, and Sisco. That went well.

The thing that concerns me, his fielding has gotten a lot better but his offense has gone downhill quickly. Then he started having his "throwing quirk" at 3rd again where he shuffles his feet a few times before throwing. It was gone for a but, now it pops up.

Bannon needs work. His offense and defense weren't that great when he came over. I agree about 2nd though.

Bannon does need to prove himself offensively, but at least has real potential.  And from what I've read, he can be a plus defensively.  He and Wilkerson are much quicker than the others.  The O's defensive range has to improve dramatically, imo - though impatient people like me will have to be patient with our expecations and not expect everything to be good from day 1 next season.      

31 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Was Susac really given a chance?  Wynns has had success and still barely plays. 

I want to see multiple players given chances in Sept. I don’t see why we should just trot out Nunez everyday at 3rd. Give Wilkerson or Valera ABs. 

As for the working with Dickerson. You guys are just getting sold some rebuilding vignettes lol. We’re 60 games under .500. We’re going to get a lot of propaganda. There is nothing left to talk about. 

If Wilkerson is hurt, then play Valera.