Renato Nunez Claimed from Texas

Legend_Of_Joey

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Mountcastle is not able to play an effective major league thirdbase. He doesn't have the arm. I mean you can put him out there like the Blue Jays did with the catcher, but major leaguers will take advantage of that all day long. 

What I can't figure out with Nunez is whether he's Craig Worthington or Leo Gomez without the walks. Barring an injury, he should get the bulk of playing time next year at 3B for the Orioles. I'm fine with that as this gives the Orioles a chance to see if he's a nugget or not.

My infield next year would be:
1B: Mancini
2B: Wilkerson
SS: Villar
3B: Nunez

UTL: Valera

Having Mountcastle as the DH of the future, barring significant defensive improvement, is fine by me. Fielding a solid defense while keeping his impact bat would be great. That being said, this wouldn't be possible until late 2019 or if Davis or Trumbo on the DL.

17 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mountcastle is not able to play an effective major league thirdbase. He doesn't have the arm. I mean you can put him out there like the Blue Jays did with the catcher, but major leaguers will take advantage of that all day long. 

There have been some outside observers who say that Mountcastle’s arm has improved considerably this year.   

Arm was a weakness but has gotten it to playable.   Learning to shorten throws with his legs and finish plays from lower arm slots.  Projects to be an average thrower w/ continued reps.

https://2080baseball.com/reports/ryan-mountcastle/

• Upvote 1

I think that Mancini is likely to start the season in RF with a Trumbo/Davis timeshare at 1B/DH.  Hopefully, Trumbo plays well enough to be moved and at the halfway point of his 7 year contract, the Orioles decided to cut bait with Davis - assuming he still sucks (a good bet).  If any of Hays, Diaz, or McKenna prove worthy of a ML promotion during the year, Mancini moves to 1B then.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

There have been some outside observers who say that Mountcastle’s arm has improved considerably this year.   

Wow that's very promising regarding Mountcastle's defense at third base.  

They don't seem to like his offense that much.  .255-.265 hitter with 18-22 HR power?  He better be able to stick at third with that line. 

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

In the interests of equal time, BA takes the opposite view: 

Mountcastle’s scouting report has long been the same: He’s going to hit, but there’s almost no chance he sticks in the infield. After his first full test in Double-A, the reputation stayed the same. He impressed evaluators with the bat as a 21-year-old in the EL, but still did not show an arm strong enough to stick at third base, where he’d moved after spending the first part of his pro career at shortstop. One opposing manager said his team bunted toward Mountcastle all the time to try to exploit the holes in his game. A move to left field or first base seems likely. His offense, however, is a different story. Scouts believe he’s capable of being a middle of the order bat who can hit for both average and power.”

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/09/the-road-schedule-ends-league-top-20s-and-a-victor-victor-note.html

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Well, he's in Baltimore now...

He moved to the OF later in the game tonight I believe and let a ball over his head with CD on the mound.

Disregard.  I thought you were responding to some discussion on Mountcastle that preceded your post. 

Nunez needs to stick to DH and maybe 1B.