Bundy velocity and farm system decline

DocJJ

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

In regards to your first paragraph...yep, but that's their fault.  They choose to fight with one hand tied behind their backs at all times.  They choose to be stupid.  You're right, they should probably be dead last but they're not leaps and bounds better.  The constraints are self imposed.  If they weren't self imposed, I'd happily agree with you.  They choose not to play in international (really, south american) markets, they give up high draft picks.  Those are choices.  And so when the cupboard is bare, they have no one to blame but themselves.  I can't get excited and give this team a pass from my POV for being perpetually stupid.

I certainly don't disagree with any of this and have never said otherwise.  

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think his velocity is the issue, its trending where it was last year and down from 2016 season, which was after his TJ surgery.

https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/addition-by-subtraction-fixing-dylan-bundy-long-term/

I found this fansgraph article, very insight.

To be clear, Bundy is not actually broken. Everyone has bad days at the office — it’s just that his was extraordinarily bad especially in light of how effective he had been for five weeks prior. In fact, I wrote about Bundy’s success just a couple of weeks ago, but it was prior to the Royals taking him behind the woodshed in one of Major League Baseball’s worst starts ever. The timing is serendipitous: three of the four home runs Bundy allowed came off his four-seamer. We’ve reached a breaking point.

9 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Back to Bundy, pretty amazing how his starts mirrored each other:  

7 runs in 0 IP in the awful start

0 runs in 7 IP in the subsequent start

Even the HOF world class SP get shellacked once in a while.

I think the Orioles knocked the great Nolan Ryan out really early one time, back many many moons ago.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think the Orioles knocked the great Nolan Ryan out really early one time, back many many moons ago.

Orioles destroyed Clemens one opening day. 

I remember Mussina giving up 9 in less than 2 innings one time as well

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

I remember Mussina giving up 9 in less than 2 innings one time as well

Nope, never happened.    He allowed 8 in 2 IP once.   He allowed 9 or 10 runs three times, but not in outings that short.    

On 5/14/2018 at 8:32 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Hays might of been a flash in the pan, but he gets a small break at the start due to his injuries. However, he did not look like the same player this year that i saw last year.

Mountcastle...Well, you know the stance on him. I think we could hit a ball to him and beat the throw.

I dont think many of us felt Mancini would be more than a one trick pony, guy with good bat and no position to play.

Sometimes the public opinion is just wrong. :)

Just now, POR said:

Mancini is very much a liability in the outfield.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/catch_probability_leaderboard

Yeah, I was going to say - Mancini certainly shouldn't be playing in LF.  Haven't seen enough of him to know if he can play 1B adequately.

I will say that I think his bat has been better at the MLB level than I had expected.

23 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

For real. People forget baseball is played by humans.

2 minutes ago, POR said:

Mancini is very much a liability in the outfield.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/catch_probability_leaderboard

Just now, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, I was going to say - Mancini certainly shouldn't be playing in LF.  Haven't seen enough of him to know if he can play 1B adequately.

I will say that I think his bat has been better at the MLB level than I had expected.

Worse than some others we have had out there?

This guy had not 1 inning at the minor league level.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Worse than some others we have had out there?

This guy had not 1 inning at the minor league level.

I was responding to your post that people who thought Mancini has no position were wrong.  204 out of 204 speaks for itself.

Archived