Jim Duquette article about Mariners trading for Jones or Manny

tntoriole

Article from Jim Duquette...Cano replacements for Mariners...last two in the article are Jones for their number 3 rated prospect,Sam Carlson, rhp, currently injured and getting elbow rehab injections... and then he suggests Manny for Kyle Lewis, their number one prospect and a 7th rated pitching prospect. 

I would not do either of these.   Not a good match with their system. Thoughts? 

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20180517&content_id=277168238&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Jones has 5/10 protect.  Can't be traded without his permission.    I doubt he would go to the Mariners.  Terrible place to hit.  Will not help his free agency numbers.

Wow it’s crazy to think he’s been in the league 10 years. Jeez I’m old

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Jones has 5/10 protect.  Can't be traded without his permission.    I doubt he would go to the Mariners.  Terrible place to hit.  Will not help his free agency numbers.

Neither is being on pace for a -2 WAR season on a last place team. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Neither is being on pace for a -2 WAR season on a last place team. 

Jones has a chance in the next two months to turn that around and be traded to a better team.  If he accepts a trade to the Mariners his FA chance of a good deal are diminished.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Jones has a chance in the next two months to turn that around and be traded to a better team.  If he accepts a trade to the Mariners his FA chance of a good deal are diminished.

I think that you think decision makers in MLB are overly concerned with small samples of performance.

They have a decade of film on Jones, he if goes to Seattle or continues in Baltimore it won't make an appreciable difference in his next contract.

For the record I don't think he goes back to Seattle for a number of reasons.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Article from Jim Duquette...Cano replacements for Mariners...last two in the article are Jones for their number 3 rated prospect,Sam Carlson, rhp, currently injured and getting elbow rehab injections... and then he suggests Manny for Kyle Lewis, their number one prospect and a 7th rated pitching prospect. 

I would not do either of these.   Not a good match with their system. Thoughts? 

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20180517&content_id=277168238&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I might do that deal. I don't see Manny signing long term with the Mariners. Their number one prospect and a number seven pitching prospect. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that you think decision makers in MLB are overly concerned with small samples of performance.

They have a decade of film on Jones, he if goes to Seattle or continues in Baltimore it won't make an appreciable difference in his next contract.

For the record I don't think he goes back to Seattle for a number of reasons.

I think you are right but you are also wrong.

You are right that all the GMs have Adam's long history. But you are wrong that that helps him to get the contract he wants.   Jones will be 33 before the season is over.   Once a player reaches that age he has be show every year that he is not in major decline.

Jones is hitting for a 707 OPS right now.  He has to improve that if he wants a long term contract.  I think he has said he wants to play until he is 40.   He would probably want a 5 year contract with a contender.  Fat chance of that if he does improve that.  And also he can forget about maintaining his 17m salary if he does not do better.  Going to Seattle does not help him improve his hitting numbers.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think you are right but you are also wrong.

You are right that all the GMs have Adam's long history. But you are wrong that that helps him to get the contract he wants.   Jones will be 33 before the season is over.   Once a player reaches that age he has be show every year that he is not in major decline.

Jones is hitting for a 707 OPS right now.  He has to improve that if he wants a long term contract.  I think he has said he wants to play until he is 40.   He would probably want a 5 year contract with a contender.  Fat chance of that if he does improve that.  And also he can forget about maintaining his 17m salary if he does not do better.  Going to Seattle does not help him improve his hitting numbers.

I think the teams are aware of what park factors are and how they impact a player's statistics.

Do you think any current MLB front office is going dur dur RBI's?

Archived