When do you think Manny will be traded?

El Gordo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

No one has discussed the worst case scenario

The Orioles fail to trade him, then he has a severe injury in September, requiring a 1 year rehab, so the O's have to give him a QO, paying him 15 million to re-hab for all of 2019, like they did with Britton this year, or they don't make the QO he signs with another team and the O's manage to not even get a comp pick for him.

It would be fun if this were the way it would work. But it isn't. And you know it. 

Should they stupidly not trade Manny, and he has a devastating September injury, a QO would be out of the question. Good try though!

In a rush and havne’t read every reply, but I thought of an interesting scenario. Let’s say Manny is elected to the All-Star team as an Oriole, either as the starting SS or just to the team in general,  but he’s traded the week of or the break before the All-Star Game to an NL team, let’s say The Braves (just making one up). Is he ineligible to go to the game or he does, but he dresses in his new NL team’s uniform? I’m guessing the latter. Just not sure I can recall a scenario like that. 

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I don't believe there is a chance at all that Manny gets traded before the All Star Break.  There is no way Angelos will accept Manny not being the Orioles lone rep in the ASG.

But think how much fun it will be for the Amercian League manager to figure out who else on the O's is worthy.

Right now Gausman is second in rWAR and Bleier is third.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But think how much fun it will be for the Amercian League manager to figure out who else on the O's is worthy.

Right now Gausman is second in rWAR and Bleier is third.

Would be hilarious (won't happen) if they chose Davis because he's a "name."

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I’d like it much better if they do trade him for something, anything and then sign him. It’s not an extension if he’s no longer under contract.

But I agree with MM, the Orioles expect too much in return for a rental. And that’s what he is, regardless of how great he’s playing right now.

They get no return and get a pick. Signing him isn’t out of the question. How Angelos could be convinced by whom ever sold him on Davis and not be convinced that Machado is more valuable to the franchise is beyond me.

But there you have it.

Of course, that's the play. But, I have no illusion or indication that Manny has a strong attachment to the O's. Even if offered identical packages by the O's and team X (let's say big market city, more glamour, more additional exposure, opportunities). I think he would chose team X.

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

No one has discussed the worst-case scenario ........

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I would be a rich man if I could bet on how many times YOU would be the poster that would bring this particular concept to the table in regard to each and every subject that ever comes up on the OH.

o

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Sorry, with this FO the absolute worst case scenario is always at lest a 50/50 chance.

o

You're not sorry. You're loving every minute of it of this team's demise, and are dancing gleefully on their proverbial graves. It's why you conveniently disappeared when the Orioles won 5 out of 6 games last week, and then came trotting back when they went back to losing. And you always do it, year after year. Your act/agenda is as transparent as Scotch tape.

o

2 hours ago, weams said:

It would be fun if this were the way it would work. But it isn't. And you know it. 

Should they stupidly not trade Manny, and he has a devastating September injury, a QO would be out of the question. Good try though!

Yeah, $17 mm is worth more than a supplemental draft pick if the player won’t be performing at all.

Archived