Hess needs a roster spot: Is it Mike Wright that goes?

wildcard

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

You sure it's Buck? I think Brady has a lot of power. 

I would like for people to take responsibility.  Someone should take responsibility for giving Tillman a major league contract.  I think any of us would be able to tell watching him pitch that he had no reason to be on a major league team.  Who on the Orioles staff believed he had anything left?

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Buck and Brady play favorites.  Not a good way to build a winning environment when on-field results mean nothing.  At least Davis is not playing today.  

I prefer the Bill Belichick method.  Cold blooded, but at least you get to see a winning team every year.  

25 minutes ago, atomic said:

I would like for people to take responsibility.  Someone should take responsibility for giving Tillman a major league contract.  I think any of us would be able to tell watching him pitch that he had no reason to be on a major league team.  Who on the Orioles staff believed he had anything left?

Who took the responsibility for giving Jaime Garcia one?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The one thing about Wright is he can soak up 3-4 innings in a game we’re losing already.    Hart can barely get through 3 batters.   Two bad alternatives there.  

Or as Buck puts it:

“Donnie’s kind of back to being the guy he was before it kind of got away from him a little bit last year. He’s attacking, he’s throwing strikes, his tempo’s good, his changeup’s more of a pitch for him. This guy goes down and closes in Triple-A because of the changeup and command of his fastball and that’s something. You’re always looking for that guy that you’ve got left, right, left, you can leave him in there and keep the right-hander in the ballpark. He’s capable of doing that.

“That’s where he first caught my attention. He was in Double-A closing games, throwing 89 mph. There’s a reason why he’s (closing) in Triple-A, too, because of the changeup and the command."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/05/showalter-on-davis-exclusion-from-lineup.html

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

In all seriousness, why would another team claim Wright if he were DFA?   The guy is 28 years old, has a career 6.23 ERA, has never had a season better than 5.76, and is at 8.72 this season.    If DFA, he will go unclaimed and be outrighted to Norfolk or wherever.    That should be the move.    

It does go back to what CoC said about getting fixed elsewhere.  Arrieta is the biggest example, with an ERA of 5.46 before he was traded at age 27.  His ERA the year before was 6.20 and it was 7.23 in 2013 when he was dealt.  No, Wright's not going to have anywhere near the post-Orioles success,  but seeing other pitchers develop after leaving (Hader and Davies on Milwaukee) , the Orioles could be gun-shy.  It goes without saying that pitching evaluation has not been a strong suit of the Orioles (Chris Tillman, I'm looking at you).

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

It does go back to what CoC said about getting fixed elsewhere.  Arrieta is the biggest example, with an ERA of 5.46 before he was traded at age 27.  His ERA the year before was 6.20 and it was 7.23 in 2013 when he was dealt.  No, Wright's not going to have anywhere near the post-Orioles success,  but seeing other pitchers develop after leaving (Hader and Davies on Milwaukee) , the Orioles could be gun-shy.  It goes without saying that pitching evaluation has not been a strong suit of the Orioles (Chris Tillman, I'm looking at you).

Yes. Yes.

6 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Arrieta’s pedigree was far better than Wright’s.    I know you’re not putting them on the same level, but to me they’re not even on the same planet.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Arrieta’s pedigree was far better than Wright’s.    I know you’re not putting them on the same level, but to me they’re not even on the same planet.    

Maybe so, but it's also a fact that Arrieta had 63 starts to establish himself here, compared to 23 for Wright.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because they have someone in the origination that can convince someone in a position of power that they can "fix" him.  Of course that team would in all probability claim him and then try and slip him through waivers themselves.

We have a Jeff Spicoli in the Warehouse somewhere. Has a locker in the clubhouse, I hear. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

o

As I stated in the game thread, Wright's 2.33 shutout innings so far at least saves the rest of the bullpen for (perhaps) a closer game or two over the next few days.

o

Archived