Oriole Draft Primer: #11, #37, and my top 50 draft prospects

Luke-OH

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, markpolis said:

(posted elsewhere first but this thread seems to have more traction)

If Liberatore or Winn aren't available at 1-11 I'd love to see the O's take Kelenic or perhaps Parker Meadows (Austin Meadows younger brother). Maybe they could save some money taking Kelenic or Meadows to make a run at the best athlete and potentially top talent in the draft at #37 in Kyler Murray. Murray will be a tough sign and overslot but I think that's exactly what the Orioles need to do here. Hopefully our draft team has talked to his people to see what it would take to sign him. Yes, he will be the Oklahoma Sooners starting QB this season, but his future definitely is in baseball.

That’s definitely a bold strategy, but I think there is no way they’d take the risk of reaching for Parker Meadows (the 5th-6th prep OF on my board, and it seems similar on other outlets) with multiple teams with multiple picks and bigger pools between 11 and 37. Kelenic I think wouldn’t save you the money you’d need to grab Murray at 37, but he’s a good pick regardless.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why mention need at the ML level?

If they won't adjust their board to account for need why bring it up?

Adjusting the board by a spot or two is one thing; the kind of jumps suggested in your post (17 to 11; 50 to 37) are something else. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/the-workloads-of-the-top-college-pitchers-in-the-2018-draft/

Here is an article on college pitcher workloads. Gilbert (one of the top guys on my board) has seen the heaviest usage of the top names. 

Does this make him a big injury risk or does it signal possible improvements in stuff under a more controlled workload. I don’t know, worth a read though.

11 minutes ago, weams said:

Tealeaves. Needs. Infielders. Quick Movers. India is on his list. 

Those of us who aren’t as high on India can hope he gets popped before 11. I’d argue there will definitely be a good middle infielder available at 37. Whether it’s Edwards, Hoerner, Jackson, McClain, Eierman, etc. Hoerner and Jackson are the ones I like best but opinions vary and there are likely to be a couple good ones available there.

Okay, we're getting close to the start of the draft and my Final Top 15 is as follows:

1    RHP Casey Mize 
  2    OF Jarred Kelenic
  3    RHP Carter Stewart
  4    LHP Matt Liberatore
  5    SS/2B Nick Madrigal
  6    1B/3B Alec Bohm
  7    RHP Cole Winn
  8    3B Jordan Groshans
  9    CA Joey Bart
10     RHP Brady Singer
11    3B/2B Jonathan India
12    LHP Ryan Weathers
13    RHP Logan Gilbert
14    OF Connor Scott
15    OF Travis Swaggerty

Guys that are bolded are ones I'd be the most excited to get. Groshans is not projected this early, but I'm higher on him than most.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Adjusting the board by a spot or two is one thing; the kind of jumps suggested in your post (17 to 11; 50 to 37) are something else. 

The Orioles used the 37th overall pick on Oregon State junior shortstop Cadyn Grenier, giving them the middle infielder that they needed.

Grenier has been described as a “slick fielder” who was ranked as the No. 63 prospect by Baseball America and No. 68 by MLB.com. Baseball America wrote that he has “fantastic instincts and sure hands.” But his bat is questionable. It’s the glove that could advance him quickly through the system.

--masn, Roch

Yeah, it's late and I'm stirring the pot but for some reason I'm increasingly cynical.

7 hours ago, stef said:

--masn, Roch

Yeah, it's late and I'm stirring the pot but for some reason I'm increasingly cynical.

I had a feeling when I saw that comment yesterday that they would do something like this.  Guy would have been a good choice to pop with our second round pick, if they hadn't forfeited it.

52 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

How would you grade the Orioles' draft through two rounds?

We’ll have to see how the rest of the draft plays out. If the two picks thus far sign for slot, I’d be in the C- range. But like I said in the discussion thread, just because the guys picked aren’t my favorites doesn’t mean the team doesn’t have more/better info than I do.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

We’ll have to see how the rest of the draft plays out. If the two picks thus far sign for slot, I’d be in the C- range. But like I said in the discussion thread, just because the guys picked aren’t my favorites doesn’t mean the team doesn’t have more/better info than I do.

Agreed. I'm VERY unhappy with us picking Grenier in the 2nd round and am willing to bet he'll never be a quality starting ML'er, but I've been wrong before.

Archived