Random Thought Thread

Moose Milligan

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sutcliffe during the 163 broadcast talking about how he can't believe the Orioles allowed Verdugo to remain a Dodger when they traded Manny.

Umm, I think it takes 2 teams to make a trade.  If the O's had traded him at the 2017 deadline they could have gotten a lot more, as there was no deadline.  If the O's didn't trade him at the 2018 deadline, they only would get a draft pick. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Umm, I think it takes 2 teams to make a trade.  If the O's had traded him at the 2017 deadline they could have gotten a lot more, as there was no deadline.  If the O's didn't trade him at the 2018 deadline, they only would get a draft pick. 

I don't think we can cry about what the O's got for Manny, Zach or Brach considering they were up against the deadline of getting a draft chioce or nothing.   But Gausman.  That is another story.

• Upvote 1

o

I remember when I visited my older brother in July of 1982, and he said to me, "You know, Lenn Sakata hit his 2nd home run of the season yesterday."

We both looked at each other for a few seconds, and then we both burst out laughing.

o

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Talking to a buddy of mine who's got a bit of an interest in baseball.  He was asking me about the Astros, I was explaining to him how good their starting rotation is and he asked, "So...do the Orioles have anyone in their rotation that could be in the Astros rotation?"

:skeletor:

I dont know that any one player on the Orioles would be an improvement for the Astros.  Givens, maybe?

Just shows how big the talent gap is.

Ooh, I got it.  Chris Davis as Altuve's body guard.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I dont know that any one player on the Orioles would be an improvement for the Astros.  Givens, maybe?

Just shows how big the talent gap is.

Ooh, I got it.  Chris Davis as Altuve's body guard.

Davis would be staring off into space as Altuve gets abducted.  He might notice something was wrong in a couple hours.  

• 3 months later...
26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Just learned that 3 out of the top 4 players in ML history from a defensive WAR perspective are Orioles.

#2 Belanger

#3 Brooks

#4 Cal

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_def_career.shtml

I had often heard Rabbit Maranville cited as a poster boy for being an undeserving HOFer.   Maybe that isn't the case now that there are some objective defensive numbers out there and he rates so highly.

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I had often heard Rabbit Maranville cited as a poster boy for being an undeserving HOFer.   Maybe that isn't the case now that there are some objective defensive numbers out there and he rates so highly.

Good point.  I am not sure how they compile advanced defensive metrics for guys that played 100+ years ago and no tape exists.  Maybe @DrungoHazewood can shine some light on the subject.