Random Thought Thread

Moose Milligan

I'm starting this thread because...random thoughts can be fun.  And I feel that we're posting a lot of the same stuff all day, every day.  Buck sucks, DD sucks, we're afraid of Brady and his power, Davis and his contract are terrible, the defense is bad, the pitching is bad, we need to trade Manny,  Manny is better at 3rd, the Orioles are dumb for not scouting in South America, we need to rebuild, we need to call up prospects...I mean, that's like every post for the past 2 months.

So this thread is designed for you guys to just say what comes to mind that might not be worth starting a thread for.  But since it's in the Orioles Talk section, it's gotta be Orioles related.  So if your daily thoughts about the Orioles include wondering what Nate Snell is up to or how Anthony Telford blew you off for an autograph in '91, post it here.  

Screw you, Telford.

Anyway, my random thought for this evening came in the form of Jack Cust.  Yes, Jack Cust who was going to be someone who we were supposed to build around.  He had Ruthian power, he was going to be amazing, he was going to hit flyballs off the Warehouse with the flick of his wrist and ease our pain.  Jack.  Cust.

I thought about Jack Cust today because I work with a buddy of mine that has a passing interest in baseball and who likes to give me a good natured ribbing about how bad the Orioles are.  I get riled up, drop a lot of f-bombs, rant about how bad they are, he laughs, it's a good time.  He was asking me about what happened last night and I was telling him and then he goes, "Oh! I was watching this video on YouTube today about the 10 worst sports efforts ever! And there was an Oriole on it!"

No, it wasn't Cust.  It was actually Adam Jones.  But it wasn't Adam Jones' effort that was in question.  It was when Jones hit a ball deep against the Nats and Nyjer Morgan went back and tried to make a leaping catch at the wall.  The ball hit off his glove, fell down in play and Morgan slammed his glove on the ground and was pitching a hissy fit when the Nats left fielder came over to get the ball and throw it in.  Meanwhile, Adam Jones hustled around the bases for an inside the park home run.  I'd actually forgotten all about it.   

It's the first play in this video:  

But why Jack Cust?  Because when my friend said there was an Oriole in that video compilation, I immediately thought of this.  It's something in the bowels of my memory that I try to forget and beat it back down when it comes to the surface.  And like a bad fart, if I smell it...well, you have to smell it, too.

It also occurred to me that there is now a generation of younger Orioles fans who do not know who Jack Cust was.  I am not sure if any post on here, but this was 15 years ago.  Anyway, Jack Cust should have been included in the video above.  

Anyway, your random Orioles thoughts.  Let's have some fun.  

• Upvote 2

Theo wouldn’t come here in a million years. He is a first ballot HOFer.

my random thought: Jim Hunter is the worst god damn announcer I have ever heard in my life. His homerism is disgusting and makes the game unlistenable. Listening on drive back home from the Baysox game tonight and he was blabbering about how Cobb is so professional and such a great signing blah blah. Thank god we have Joe Angel but I honestly am repulsed by Jim Hunter. He is a homer with zero credibility. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

Theo wouldn’t come here in a million years. He is a first ballot HOFer.

my random thought: Jim Hunter is the worst god damn announcer I have ever heard in my life. His homerism is disgusting and makes the game unlistenable. Listening on drive back home from the Baysox game tonight and he was blabbering about how Cobb is so professional and such a great signing blah blah. Thank god we have Joe Angel but I honestly am repulsed by Jim Hunter. He is a homer with zero credibility. 

Jim Hunter, bless his heart, really strikes me as a game show host or telethon emcee at heart. He brings nothing very interesting to the equation.

And agreed about Theo. He'd never come here. Nor Girardi. Just daydreaming or lost in random thoughts as the OP says.

Re the Jack Cust play, it would certainly rank in my top 10 most ridiculous Orioles plays of all time. I’m not sure if I can conjure up the other 9 right now, but here’s a few:

1.   Melvin Mora is thrown out at home to end the game, when he tagged up on a short fly ball and tried to score what wouldn’t have been the tying run.   

2.   Eddie Rogers has a ball go inside his uniform shirt while charging a one-hop line drive.    

3.   Jose Morban fails to realize there are less than two outs, and trots home without tagging up on a long fly out with one out in the 9th, failing to score what should have been the tying run.    Miraculously, he makes it back to 3B after some botched defense, but is stranded there and the O’s lose.    

Due to my age, I've never really gotten to experience a truly great Oriole. By the time I was old enough to watch intelligently, Ripken was a veteran with a bad back who missed games and often struggled. I only got to see a few seasons of Mussina before he was off to pinstripes. 

The best Orioles baseball that I've really gotten to experience is a Brian Roberts, Erik Bedard, Melvin Mora type of player.

So, my random thought is about how I am that guy who didn't see a movie, but nods and smiles when you all talk about players like Brooks.