Steve Wilkerson

Legend_Of_Joey

27 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

So, Is Wilkerson the third best infielder in the system?  Mountcastle, Nunez, then Wilkerson?

Do you mean "overall," or defense only?

Wilkerson is a much better defender than Mountcastle. Not sure about Nunez, as I don't know much on him. From what I've read though, Wilkerson would be ranked better at defense.

Overall? Mountcastle has the best bat, Nunez might have the best power, Wilkerson is the best "total package."

29 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

So, Is Wilkerson the third best infielder in the system?  Mountcastle, Nunez, then Wilkerson?

I'd rank Palmeiro and Reyes ahead of him as far as prospects go.  I'm not even sure if Wilkerson can be considered a prospect.  He's 26 and profiles as a utility infielder.  

He may be the second or third closest to the majors if that's what you are asking.  

9 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I'd rank Palmeiro and Reyes ahead of him as far as prospects go.  I'm not even sure if Wilkerson can be considered a prospect.  He's 26 and profiles as a utility infielder.  

He may be the second or third closest to the majors if that's what you are asking.  

The two you named are a bit tough.

Reyes could have the better future, but needs to get his act together. Nothing about him makes me think of him as a prospect anymore.

Palmeiro will need another season to crack the prospect list.

41 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The two you named are a bit tough.

Reyes could have the better future, but needs to get his act together. Nothing about him makes me think of him as a prospect anymore.

Palmeiro will need another season to crack the prospect list.

I don't think any universal prospect lists are going to have Wilkerson in the top 20.  I think Reyes is still solidly in there and you could see Palmeiro in there at the end of the season. 

Wilkerson is obviously closer to the majors, but he's not  really a prospect. He's a 26 year-old utility infielder who just came off a PED suspension and has never played above Double A. 

15 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I don't think any universal prospect lists are going to have Wilkerson in the top 20.  I think Reyes is still solidly in there and you could see Palmeiro in there at the end of the season. 

Wilkerson is obviously closer to the majors, but he's not  really a prospect. He's a 26 year-old utility infielder who just came off a PED suspension and has never played above Double A. 

Right now, he might be the most well rounded minor league player in the system that can play the middle infield and hit.

Does that cover it better for you?

Reyes is one of those guys who I don't get the hype and prospect status for. 

6 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Right now, he might be the most well rounded minor league player in the system that can play the middle infield and hit.

Does that cover it better for you?

Reyes is one of those guys who I don't get the hype and prospect status for. 

I think you are getting a little carried away over an organizational player.  I"m not defending Reyes or Palmiero as top prospects.  Just making the point that they at least can be considered prospects, where as Wilkerson is more of an organizational player with utility player (at best) upside if he ever reaches the majors.  

His profile screams future minor league free agent to me.   Maybe I'm wrong and he's the next Justin Turner.  

11 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I think you are getting a little carried away over an organizational player.  I"m not defending Reyes or Palmiero as top prospects.  Just making the point that they at least can be considered prospects, where as Wilkerson is more of an organizational player with utility player (at best) upside if he ever reaches the majors.  

His profile screams future minor league free agent to me.   Maybe I'm wrong and he's the next Justin Turner.  

Haha, I don't think Wilkerson will be a Justin Turner player. I just think he is being undersold.

When I see him, Vielma, Tejada, and Sardinas, I believe Wilkerson is the best of those 4, for the Orioles.

I also think he would of been taken in the Rule 5 pick and stayed with a team all season (or been on the 40 and in Baltimore) if not for his PED suspension.

Maybe I am a little carried away, but only because I think he has better tools than the current crap the Orioles had been dragging out.

40 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Right now I’d handicap him as our 4th option at 3rd base in the minors. Behind Nunez, Dosch, and Corban Joseph. 

Dosch is falling back to earth pretty hard. He has been ice cold and a strikeout machine lately.

14 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Right now I’d handicap him as our 4th option at 3rd base in the minors. Behind Nunez, Dosch, and Corban Joseph. 

Nunez is the guy who we just picked up after being DFA'd right?  Sad state of affairs if he is our top infield prospect!

1 hour ago, connja said:

Nunez is the guy who we just picked up after being DFA'd right?  Sad state of affairs if he is our top infield prospect!

Nunez is a power hitter and has a lot of it.

His defense though....

He is like a more powerful version of Mountcastle.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived