Buck's Winning Record As O's Manager Could Be In Jeopardy

mdbdotcom

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The game has passed him by in the span of a year and a half?  Or he's just got a terribly constructed roster?

Exactly.   Look at today's lineup.   We have three or four guys who would start for most major league teams, and two of them are not playing their best position.

Gentry and Rickard MIGHT be backups on a decent team (but certainly not both of them).   The combined stats of our 3 catchers this year has to be rock bottom in the majors.   Valencia is a role player who would not be starting multiple games a week at 3rd for any other major league team.   Mancini, Jones, and Machado have played most of their season at a defensive position that is not their best, out of necessity.

I think just about any manager would be way under .500 with this team.   More than half of our at bats have been taken by guys who are simply not major league starting players:   Susac, Joseph, Sisco, Gentry, RIckard, Santander, Valencia , Alvarez, Vielma, Sardinas, Rasmus, and Davis.   That's more than half our team's at bats.   

This is a bad baseball team.   Buck might deserve some of the blame for it, but I doubt any manager would have this bunch with a much better record.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The game has passed him by in the span of a year and a half?  Or he's just got a terribly constructed roster?

I think Buck is a good bench coach manager but if he's had a big part in  constructing this roster and bringing back Tillman ect. like Tony has said, then GOOOD By Buck...

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

Why not try and see.  Truthfully on any other team Buck would have been fired after Jiminez playoff fiasco.  There is also putting him out of his misery.  

I don't think Buck will be or should be here after his year.

Dude, I get it, you've made it plenty clear that you're blood thirsty and want heads to roll.  I just don't see what getting rid of him tomorrow does.  I'm thinking about the long term, who the next manager could be and hoping that this franchise doesn't completely botch a rebuilding process which they most likely will because they can't do anything without pissing all over themselves.  So when I say nothing really matters, that's what I mean.

That said, Buck represents to me someone who played a big part in turning this franchise around from 14 years of complete crap.  IMO, as I said, he shouldn't be here next year but I think he can go out however he wants.  

4 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

The game has passed him by and that's why he constructed such a terrible roster, with Davis, Trumbo, O'Day, etc. 

The game has passed him by?  This is the most hot take-y thing I've read on here.  Really, Buck can't grasp managerial strategy anymore?  

I'll agree that he's got a hand to play in the roster construction but I don't think that means the "game passed him by."  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think Buck will be or should be here after his year.

Dude, I get it, you've made it plenty clear that you're blood thirsty and want heads to roll.  I just don't see what getting rid of him tomorrow does.  I'm thinking about the long term, who the next manager could be and hoping that this franchise doesn't completely botch a rebuilding process which they most likely will because they can't do anything without pissing all over themselves.  So when I say nothing really matters, that's what I mean.

That said, Buck represents to me someone who played a big part in turning this franchise around from 14 years of complete crap.  IMO, as I said, he shouldn't be here next year but I think he can go out however he wants.  

The game has passed him by?  This is the most hot take-y thing I've read on here.  Really, Buck can't grasp managerial strategy anymore?  

I'll agree that he's got a hand to play in the roster construction but I don't think that means the "game passed him by."  

I can't think of anyone that they can hire tomorrow that I would want managing next year.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I can't think of anyone that they can hire tomorrow that I would want managing next year.

Exactly.  

BUT OH MY GOD WE NEED TO FIRE BUCK!!!! 

Know what?  I'd like to see Buck get fired tomorrow so people can get what they want and then realize that it didn't move the needle at all.  Just to make a point.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Exactly.  

BUT OH MY GOD WE NEED TO FIRE BUCK!!!! 

Know what?  I'd like to see Buck get fired tomorrow so people can get what they want and then realize that it didn't move the needle at all.  Just to make a point.

It really too late now as the season is lost.  They should have fired Buck back in April when a manager change could have helped.  Still would like to see what a manager change would do.  But if it doesn't move the needle you lose nothing.

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

It really too late now as the season is lost.  They should have fired Buck back in April when a manager change could have helped.  Still would like to see what a manager change would do.  But if it doesn't move the needle you lose nothing.

I think we've gone down this path here before, but I'll ask again:

Suppose they fire Buck back in April.  What manager do you pick to replace him and how do you think that manager could possibly have gotten this hunk of junk roster to a respectable record? 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Suppose they fire Buck back in April.  What manager do you pick to replace him and how do you think that manager could possibly have gotten this hunk of junk roster to a respectable record? 

Mike Trout as player manager.

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If you don't think the manager makes a difference why do you care that Buck is fired?  Under the last pitching coach we had good pitching and with the current one we are worst in the league.  Our pitchers have had past success. I think Buck has let the players run the team.  I don't know if anyone could make it a winner but we are on pace to be worst Oriole team of all time.  I would hope someone could get this team to be at least .400 winning percentage.  If not than at least  you know what you are dealing with.

Buck is probably in top 20 percent of managers in seniority with team and he has back to back last place teams and has never taken a team to World Series and his claim to fame is worst managerial decision ever.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

The game has passed him by the same way it did Girardi, Farrell and others. If you're looking at players' faces instead of their stats, the game has passed you by.

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

If you don't think the manager makes a difference why do you care that Buck is fired?  

Buck is probably in top 20 percent of managers in seniority with team and he has back to back last place teams and has never taken a team to World Series and his claim to fame is worst managerial decision ever.

Because the manager doesn't make a difference.  So knowing that, why do you care if Buck IS fired?  It's been studied up and down, when it comes to day to day pulling strings and making decisions, the manager makes a negligible difference.  

Again, I asked a question that you dodged.  What manager would you have picked up a month ago and how much better would they have steered this roster?

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

The game has passed him by the same way it did Girardi, Farrell and others. If you're looking at players' faces instead of their stats, the game has passed you by.

What does this even mean?

11 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'm pretty stat happy but I don't even agree with that.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Because the manager doesn't make a difference.  So knowing that, why do you care if Buck IS fired?  It's been studied up and down, when it comes to day to day pulling strings and making decisions, the manager makes a negligible difference.  

Again, I asked a question that you dodged.  What manager would you have picked up a month ago and how much better would they have steered this roster?

What does this even mean?

Archived