Luis Montanez

orioole28

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're looking for another player to pull for in the Orioles system, look no further than Lou Montanez.

As has been mentioned before, Montanez is a former 3rd overall pick by the Cubs and is turning out to be a late bloomer of sorts. While I don't think his power numbers will translate to the big leagues as he's piled up monster numbers in hitters parks such as Erie and Harrisburg, Montanez is a pure hitter. He started his career as a shortstop and since moving to the outfield not long after being drafted, Montanez has mentioned how he's tried to put on more muscle to get more of a home run arc on certain swings. He's going to get a good swing on anything over the plate but, as Tony mentioned, I too believe he may struggle a bit with off-speed pitches.

Montanez is full of energy with an affable personality to match. If you follow Roch's blog then surely you have come across his name a few times. Once you get to talking with Luis - or Lou as he goes by this year - you instantly become a fan. He knows the game well and exhibits his love for baseball through his knowledge. I asked him on the first day of the season why he chose to go by Lou this season and he simply replied, "I thought I'd switch it up. I just hope the fans like it!"

When it all comes down to it, numbers will dictate how far Montanez goes in this organization and in his career. But you can't help but pull for a guy like sweet swingin' Lou Montanez.

While I don't think his power numbers will translate to the big leagues as he's piled up monster numbers in hitters parks such as Erie and Harrisburg, Montanez is a pure hitter.

In about 20 more ab's than at home, "Lou" is killing it on the road.

176 ab's .392-14-40 .437/.727/1.164

Wowwwwww

Thanks to Jenius for pointing me to this thread. I might have posted on that newer one otherwise. :o

Anyway, here's the second of Lou's two homeruns during the July 1st game, an "Earl Weaver Special" to bump the score up by three:

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i9.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/dmhmt/LouMontanezJuly4thHarrisburgSeries.flv">

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for people who have seen the Baysox a lot. I have only seen one game and Montanez got out in front on a couple of curve balls and did not make solid contact. Has he had some problems with off-speed pitches or did I just see a bad game? His numbers would suggest I just saw a bad game, but I thought I would check.

I hope Jay Payton and/or Aubrey Huff are traded soon so that Montanez and/or Reimold can get get promoted to the majors and get decent PT. And hopefully it also allows them to get acclimated to the majors so that they can get off to a better start next year.

(I am basing this on the post where Tony stated that he talked to Stockstill who had the opinion that the pitching prospects in the Eastern League are better than those in the International League. Otherwise, I would assume that Reimold/Montanez would first be promoted to AAA.)

Jacked his 20th today. What does this cat have to do to get talked about around here?! :P Find a time machine and lose 4 years?? 26 isn't HORRIBLE.

He will likely finish with 30-35 HR and 100+ RBI. I'm not sure what else he would have to do to get a September callup.

I have a question for people who have seen the Baysox a lot. I have only seen one game and Montanez got out in front on a couple of curve balls and did not make solid contact. Has he had some problems with off-speed pitches or did I just see a bad game? His numbers would suggest I just saw a bad game, but I thought I would check.

It does seem like Montanez' weakness is a good off-speed pitch. He's going to crush fastballs and mistake pitches but it does seem like he struggles adjusting to good breaking balls and good changeups.

It does seem like Montanez' weakness is a good off-speed pitch. He's going to crush fastballs and mistake pitches but it does seem like he struggles adjusting to good breaking balls and good changeups.

Seems like this is the same problem at least half the guys in the majors have. I'm really surprised we haven't heard more about him.

Also, is he a free agent after the season or do we have first rights to keep him. I'm sure some team will probably be impressed by his numbers. Who cares if he's 26.

I hope Jay Payton and/or Aubrey Huff are traded soon so that Montanez and/or Reimold can get get promoted to the majors and get decent PT. And hopefully it also allows them to get acclimated to the majors so that they can get off to a better start next year.

(I am basing this on the post where Tony stated that he talked to Stockstill who had the opinion that the pitching prospects in the Eastern League are better than those in the International League. Otherwise, I would assume that Reimold/Montanez would first be promoted to AAA.)

I'm guessing that we trade/cut Payton sometime in very late July or more likely August (after the first deadline). That'll be when you see one of Nolan or Monty. We may see the other in September after we expand rosters.

I have seen Lou play in 6 games against the Harrisburg Senators this year and man can this kid play ball. I know Nolan is a stud but Lou has been the player to watch in all of those games. Not only is he hitting the ball extremely well but his play in the field has been exciting to watch. I don't see much on OH about his throwing arm but I have seen him make some very strong and accurate throws.

This has to be the issue. He's been to the AAA level twice for extended periods - once with Iowa (Cubs AAA) for 80-some games, and then last year with the Tides for half the season.

It seems to me a lot of guys end up as "career minor leaguers" because once they start facing pitching that doesn't offer up mistakes as often, pitching that includes more polished off-speed pitches, they aren't as successful.

In 2006 in AA, he had an OPS of .924 after 145 AB. So they promote him to Triple-A Iowa, and his OPS drops to .651 over the remaining 245 AB of the season.

In 2007, he started out in AAA and was "up" to .742 OPS over 212 AB. I don't recall now if he was back and forth or simply sent down to Double-A Bowie once and stayed, but that's where he ended up at the end of the year and obviously the beginning of 2008, with an OPS of .828 in '07 and .919 in the first half of '08.

So to me, while he seems to tear up AA, he doesn't seem to be able to handle AAA pitching. And he's been given extended periods to try to do so, by two different organizations in two different leagues.

Could this be why he doesn't get as much attention? Or does the "better pitching prospects at AA" rationale for keeping Montanez in AA negate this entire line of thinking?

I think his lack of success hitting AAA pitching is very telling. They should move him up soon though, and if he can hit there, maybe he can be a guy who can settle in as a good 4th OF.

But, I see get a real Luis Terrero vibe from Montanez. I'd be surprised if he's ever something particularly valuable.

Archived