Luis Montanez

orioole28

I think it's time to move him up. He just demolishes AA pitching. He hit a double and now has hit a 3-run HR in tonights game against Harrisburg. He's hitting .311 so far, leads the league in HR's with 16 tied with teammate Nettles, 2nd with 2B's with 24, 2nd with RBI's with 57, 6th in SLG with a .528(before todays game). He's 27 and it's probably time to see if he has it. He was in the 1st round by the Cubs, so he definitly has talent.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This corner outfielder had a poor first month of the season (.697 OPS) but has really turned it on after that. He leads the team in OBP, SLG, XBH, AVG, TB, and RBI and is tied for the team lead in hr.

Most people would probably assume that I was talking about Nolan Reimold, but I'm actually talking about Luis Montanez.

While Reimold has played pretty well after his slow start to the season, just like Montanez, his stats mostly trail Montanez.

Montanez, who was the #3 overall pick in the 2000 overall draft, posted a .697 OPS in April, but has posted 1.066 and .943 OPSes in May and June.

Reimold has 18 doubles. Montanez has 24.

Reimold has 11 hr. Montanez has 16.

Reimold has 32 XBH. Montanez has 41.

Reimold's AVG is .275. Montanez's is .316.

Reimold has an OPS of .819. Montanez is at .910.

Both Reimold and Montanez strike out once every 7.2 AB.

Granted, Montanez is almost two years older (26) than Reimold and doesn't walk nearly enough (23 BB in 326 AB).

But Montanez has never experienced this much sustained success at AA before. His best year at AA was in 2006 when he put up a .927 OPS in 38 games, 141 AB. He hasn't faired that well at AAA before (.652 OPS in 245 AB in the PCL in 2006 and .742 OPS in 212 AB at Norfolk last year).

But I think he may deserve another shot at AAA. Considering that he was the #3 overall pick in 2000, he must have some skills.

Opinions?

Tony (or anyone else), any scouting report type info on this guy?

Is promoted the right word?

Norfolk is in last place, 15 games out with a 31-54 record.

Bowie is in 2nd, 3.5 games back with a 47-36 record.

Now that Wieters has joined Bowie I think the O's might keep Montanez and Reimold at Bowie and make a run at the Eastern League pennant. The have the pitching to do it.

Now that Wieters has joined Bowie I think the O's might keep Montanez and Reimold at Bowie and make a run at the Eastern League pennant. The have the pitching to do it.

This has a great ring to it! :thumbsup1:

I like it alot! :clap3: I really think they can win the title this year. :scratchchinhmm:

They HAVE the talent! :D

Is promoted the right word?

Norfolk is in last place, 15 games out with a 31-54 record.

Bowie is in 2nd, 3.5 games back with a 47-36 record.

I never got this. The goal of the MiL teams is to help the Baltimore Orioles.

If a guy is beyond ready to be moved up, then it's go to happen regardless of a MiL team's record. And maybe if this was August I'd agree with you, but it's July 1st.

There's a half a season left for Montanez to get adjusted to AAA and beyond.

I never got this. The goal of the MiL teams is to help the Baltimore Orioles.

If a guy is beyond ready to be moved up, then it's go to happen regardless of a MiL team's record. And maybe if this was August I'd agree with you, but it's July 1st.

There's a half a season left for Montanez to get adjusted to AAA and beyond.

I talked to David Stockstill about this and he feels the pitching is stronger in the Eastern League than the International League where he feels there are more AAAA junk ball pitchers.

He believes it's actually better for Montanez and Reimold to be at Bowie than Norfolk because they will face more prospects than if they were at Norfolk.

I for one have been impressed with Montanez all year. I keep trying to find something he doesn't do pretty good. He hits the both the other way well, he has left to left-center power, and although I've seen him be fooled by good off speed offerings, I've also seen him adjust and hit those pitches hard.

I asked a scout from an AL club about him and he felt he was nothing more than an organizational guy because of his age. Perhaps he's right, but also may just be a late bloomer.

He plays a decent left field, has a better arm than Jay Payton, and looks very, very comfortable at the plate right now. The more I see him, the more he grows on me.

I talked to David Stockstill about this and he feels the pitching is stronger in the Eastern League than the International League where he feels there are more AAAA junk ball pitchers.

He believes it's actually better for Montanez and Reimold to be at Bowie than Norfolk because they will face more prospects than if they were at Norfolk.

I for one have been impressed with Montanez all year. I keep trying to find something he doesn't do pretty good. He hits the both the other way well, he has left to left-center power, and although I've seen him be fooled by good off speed offerings, I've also seen him adjust and hit those pitches hard.

I asked a scout from an AL club about him and he felt he was nothing more than an organizational guy because of his age. Perhaps he's right, but also may just be a late bloomer.

He plays a decent left field, has a better arm than Jay Payton, and looks very, very comfortable at the plate right now. The more I see him, the more he grows on me.

If this is the case then Wieters, Reimold and Montanez don't need to go to AAA before they come to Baltimore this September. ;)

I wonder if this logic applies to pitchers, too. Will the O's feel comfortable bringing someone like Tillman, Hernandez or Bergesen up straight from Bowie, or will they need to get their feet wet at Norfolk first?

If the latter, then the O's need to move someone up from Bowie now, because the O's currently don't have anyone at Norfolk who could step into the major league rotation should the need for another starter arise.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that absolutely everyone who posts on OH will agree that he should go to Norfolk.

This is why people don't go out on a limb. :D

Then can the arguement be made that AA ball is better then AAA, at least for this year? Also does he feel the same way with the pitchers?

Then can the arguement be made that AA ball is better then AAA, at least for this year? Also does he feel the same way with the pitchers?

He specifically said the pitching is better, not the entire league, so I would guess that it doesn't include the hitters.

I haven't seen a pitch of AAA baseball in the last five years so I'll defer to David's opinion on this.

Montanez just hit his 17th HR. We might have something here!! Here's what Luis has done in the last 10 days:

Date    OPP   AVG AB R  H  2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS Jun 22 @ALT  .000 3  0  0  0  0  0   0  0  0  0  0 Jun 23 @AKR  .600 5  2  3  2  0  0   1  1  0  0  1 Jun 24 @AKR  .500 4  2  2  0  0  0   0  0  0  0  0 Jun 24 @AKR  .750 4  1  3  0  0  0   0  0  1  0  0 Jun 25 @AKR  .200 5  1  1  0  0  0   0  0  0  0  0 Jun 26 @AKR  .250 4  1  1  1  0  0   0  0  0  0  0 Jun 28 ALT  1.000 2  1  2  0  0  0   0  1  0  0  0 Jun 28 ALT   .250 4  0  1  0  0  0   1  0  0  0  0 Jun 29 ALT   .200 5  1  1  0  0  1   1  0  1  0  0 Jun 30 @HAR  .750 4  1  3  1  0  1   4  1  0  0  0 Totals       .425 40 10 17 4  0  2   7  3  2  0  1

Edit: Riemold hit a HR and they almost hit back to back to back HR's as Wieters hit the top of the wall for a double!!

Archived