Duquette: 'We've got to put a little bit sharper focus on the future'

Bonecrusher52

6 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

We're talking about next year right? Because this season isn't salvageable. And if we're being honest, Jones isn't coming back. I follow him on twitter and he's made that abundantly clear in a very passive aggressive way. So what your saying is that by adding Stewart / Mullins / Hays and subtracting Machado / Jones / Britton / Brach they'll somehow be a better team? I appreciate your optimism, but the odds of all of our prospects being great are not good. Stewart and Mullins in particular aren't even top 100 prospects. 

I also respectively disagree with us needing to focus on adding infielders and bullpen arms via trades. If they have that kind of mentality they'll end up settling for a Makiel Franco / Jake Lamb return which is not what this team needs. If they trade their pending free agents they should simply be looking for a the best talent available, regardless of position. 

Also, in terms of the infield, we have two immediate holes to fill in the offseason (3B and SS) and then we'll have to deal with 2B the season after because I don't think Schoop will resign.  How do you propose we fill those holes? There are no quality SS free agents available this off season and I don't think it's worth the risk to sign an injury prone Donaldson or Beltre to play 3B (or an overachieving Moustakas for that matter). In what scenario can this team possibly contract a roster to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox without whole scale changes? 

Not even for the most money?  I think Jones is going to be really disappointed in the kind of contracts he is offered.  I wouldn't be surprised is a 2 year deal with an option is the best he can do.  

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm sure "our guys" are great, they're just not that good at baseball with the notable exception of Manny.

A lot of them were pretty good a short time ago. 

There are people in the Orioles' organization who apparently didn't appreciate (a) how quickly some guys' skills deteriorate, and (b) just because a guy had a good season or two for you doesn't mean you can count on him to repeat it as he gets older.. Unless you've got an extraordinary cadre of young talent (and can afford to keep that talent as it nears or hits free agency), you've got to keep bringing in new talent -- and replace some of your guys as they pass their baseball prime, no matter how much you love them  -- just to stay in place on the competitive treadmill. If you don't do that, you're likely to get worse.  

Part of me feels bad for DD. How different might his circumstances look from a suite in Toronto?

Part of me also realizes that when you accept an offer from a desperate position, this is how things can be expected to unfold.

There's no one currently associated with the management of the Orioles who should continue to be associated with the management of the Orioles after this season. But most will, thanks to a scapegoat or two (plus the privileges of ownership), and DD will probably be one of the goats.

33 minutes ago, MrOrange82 said:

Part of me feels bad for DD. How different might his circumstances look from a suite in Toronto?

Part of me also realizes that when you accept an offer from a desperate position, this is how things can be expected to unfold.

There's no one currently associated with the management of the Orioles who should continue to be associated with the management of the Orioles after this season. But most will, thanks to a scapegoat or two (plus the privileges of ownership), and DD will probably be one of the goats.

Agree 110% great post!

11 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I certainly don't disagree with this for the most part.  I'm fine with a teardown of the current team, I just happen to think that a rebuild can happen a lot faster than others seem to think it can.  

I'm honestly looking forward to a rebuild because it likely means an even drunker Gary Thorne and an even sassier Jim Palmer. 

10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Not even for the most money?  I think Jones is going to be really disappointed in the kind of contracts he is offered.  I wouldn't be surprised is a 2 year deal with an option is the best he can do.  

He's made it clear that he wants to win. That's not happening here. And would it really make sense for this team to offer him the most money? Jones would be a nice short term veteran piece for a good team. Is he going to break the bank with his contract? Of course not, but I could see him going out west just for the chance to be closer to home and win. The Angels would probably be the perfect fit for him. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He's made it clear that he wants to win. That's not happening here. And would it really make sense for this team to offer him the most money? Jones would be a nice short term veteran piece for a good team. Is he going to break the bank with his contract? Of course not, but I could see him going out west just for the chance to be closer to home and win. The Angels would probably be the perfect fit for him. 

Lots of guys make it clear they want to win and then go for the largest contract when push comes to shove.

Pretty sure ARod wanted to win before he signed with Texas.

It seems to me  that this is Dan's way of taking a jab at guys like Brady and Buck. If all that we have heard about the dysfunction in the front office is true and there are factions at play that have gimped Dan's ability to do his job, then maybe he is saying this because there are other forces at work who are fighting against a tear down/rebuild. I don't know, I am just speculating.

One thing is for certain, as a fan I am sick of the lip service, it's borderline insulting at this point. Why even bother trying to cater to the casual fans anymore? They aren't supporting the team at this point. Seems to me it is only the diehards left, and those are the fans who you really don;t want to alienate with B.S.

Just my opinion

8 hours ago, theocean said:

I'm honestly looking forward to a rebuild because it likely means an even drunker Gary Thorne and an even sassier Jim Palmer. 

I certainly don't have any insights into what Jim Palmer might be thinking, but I can't imagine Palmer is going to come back to broadcast this mess of a team. Seems like he has been doing fewer games over the past few years, and that was with a  good team. At his age does he want to sit through all the losing that is coming?

Sign me up for drunk Gary Thorne! Does anyone know what his drink of choice is in the booth?

I said this would come after the amateur draft and it came early but I think you are seeing Dan back in a little control.  In the last week the Orioles have made 4-5 minors league moves more typical of early Duquette.

I kind of wonder if there was a bit of collective stunned silence at how the first third of the season has gone.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Lots of guys make it clear they want to win and then go for the largest contract when push comes to shove.

Pretty sure ARod wanted to win before he signed with Texas.

So answer my second question then. Why would it make sense for the Orioles to be the highest bidder for his services? Whether or not Jones wants to win or wants the money is irrelevant, because the Orioles won't offer either option. The ship is clearly sinking and everyone who can (Machado, Jones, Britton, Brach, etc.) will be getting in life boats after the season ends (if they aren't traded before hand). 

53 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

I certainly don't have any insights into what Jim Palmer might be thinking, but I can't imagine Palmer is going to come back to broadcast this mess of a team. Seems like he has been doing fewer games over the past few years, and that was with a  good team. At his age does he want to sit through all the losing that is coming?

Sign me up for drunk Gary Thorne! Does anyone know what his drink of choice is in the booth?

If you all think Palmer is candidate on the broadcasts you should follow him on Twitter. He calls the team out almost daily. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So answer my second question then. Why would it make sense for the Orioles to be the highest bidder for his services? Whether or not Jones wants to win or wants the money is irrelevant, because the Orioles won't offer either option. The ship is clearly sinking and everyone who can (Machado, Jones, Britton, Brach, etc.) will be getting in life boats after the season ends (if they aren't traded before hand). 

I don't think it makes any sense at all.

Ownership still might do it.

14 hours ago, MrOrange82 said:

I don't feel bad for Duquette one bit.

He signed a 6 year extension and tried to jump ship 2 years into it. In the division, nonetheless. 

Archived