2018 Trade Deadline

Yardball85

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Mods, feel free to move this thread, but I feel it affects the Orioles in many ways.

And so it begins, with Jon Jay to the Diamondbacks

Darn, if only Dan had signed Jon Jay he could have traded him to the Diamondbacks.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Darn, if only Dan had signed Jon Jay he could have traded him to the Diamondbacks.

And gotten decent production out of him.  The two guys AZ traded are not top 30 according to MLB.com 

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The other Dan (Connolly) will be saying he told us so and Burlington can now say with authority, "Elvis is in da house!".  I know I'm all shook up!

43 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But we had those two glorious weeks of Colby Rasmus up here. 

Yeah seriously ?  Rasmus also appears to be 0-14 with 6 K’s on his rehab assignment. He is finished.

Obviously wouldn’t have made the difference in our season this year because we’re so far from being competitive, but Rasmus over Jay was a dreadful idea.

2 hours ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Yeah seriously ?  Rasmus also appears to be 0-14 with 6 K’s on his rehab assignment. He is finished.

Obviously wouldn’t have made the difference in our season this year because we’re so far from being competitive, but Rasmus over Jay was a dreadful idea.

No we NEED to get Rasmus back to Baltimore so we can reclaim the ML strike out lead. I really want to see Rasmus, Trumbo, and Davis back to back to back

10 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Thought Jones might be a good fit for Arizona. Good move by them though 

Agreed, though Jones may be a good fit on a few other west coast teams like Anaheim or Seattle.  If Anaheim had a better system, I'd recommend packaging Machado (since Simmons is hurt) and Jones to them.

8 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Agreed, though Jones may be a good fit on a few other west coast teams like Anaheim or Seattle.  If Anaheim had a better system, I'd recommend packaging Machado (since Simmons is hurt) and Jones to them.

Edit - on second thought, I don't know if a grade two sprain to Simmons will mandate him missing so much time as to make Anaheim want to gut their system for Manny.

23 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I'd take any of these guys straight up for Jones (from the Angels). I think the Angels shifted J. Jones to 2B this season too so he could be the possible heir apparent to Schoop. 

2) Jo Adell, OF, Grade B+: Age 18, first round pick in 2017 from high school in Kentucky; hit .325/.376/.532 in Arizona and Pioneer Leagues, with five homers, eight steals, 14 walks, 49 strikeouts in 203 at-bats; a bit raw with the strike zone but bat speed and power potential are excellent and compensated for any approach issues, at least in rookie ball; 65-70 runner, 60-65 arm, complete package as power-hitting outfielder with speed and good defense; my guess is that he’ll face few challenges in A-ball but may have some issues when he reaches Double-A; ETA 2021.

3) Jahmai Jones, OF, Grade B/B+: Age 20, second round pick in 2016 from high school in Georgia; hit .282/.348/.446 between Low-A and High-A with 14 homers, 27 steals, 45 walks, 106 strikeouts in 518 at-bats; like Adell, Jones has a promising power/speed package and a full set of defensive tools; also like Adell, he’ll have to show he can manage higher-level pitching but so far, so good; ETA late 2020.

4) Brandon Marsh, OF, Grade B/B-: Age 20, second round pick in 2016 from Georgia high school; hit .350/.396/.548 in Pioneer League with 10 steals, nine walks, 35 strikeouts in 177 at-bats; another toolsy high-ceiling outfielder with speed, power, and defense; crushed Pioneer League pitching despite aggressive approach and low walk rate; that will probably work in A-ball due to his bat speed and athleticism, but as with Adell and Jones we’ll see what happens at higher levels; physical tools are probably a bit less impressive than his counterparts but still better-than-average; ETA late 2020.

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'd take any of these guys straight up for Jones (from the Angels). I think the Angels shifted J. Jones to 2B this season too so he could be the possible heir apparent to Schoop. 

2) Jo Adell, OF, Grade B+: Age 18, first round pick in 2017 from high school in Kentucky; hit .325/.376/.532 in Arizona and Pioneer Leagues, with five homers, eight steals, 14 walks, 49 strikeouts in 203 at-bats; a bit raw with the strike zone but bat speed and power potential are excellent and compensated for any approach issues, at least in rookie ball; 65-70 runner, 60-65 arm, complete package as power-hitting outfielder with speed and good defense; my guess is that he’ll face few challenges in A-ball but may have some issues when he reaches Double-A; ETA 2021.

3) Jahmai Jones, OF, Grade B/B+: Age 20, second round pick in 2016 from high school in Georgia; hit .282/.348/.446 between Low-A and High-A with 14 homers, 27 steals, 45 walks, 106 strikeouts in 518 at-bats; like Adell, Jones has a promising power/speed package and a full set of defensive tools; also like Adell, he’ll have to show he can manage higher-level pitching but so far, so good; ETA late 2020.

4) Brandon Marsh, OF, Grade B/B-: Age 20, second round pick in 2016 from Georgia high school; hit .350/.396/.548 in Pioneer League with 10 steals, nine walks, 35 strikeouts in 177 at-bats; another toolsy high-ceiling outfielder with speed, power, and defense; crushed Pioneer League pitching despite aggressive approach and low walk rate; that will probably work in A-ball due to his bat speed and athleticism, but as with Adell and Jones we’ll see what happens at higher levels; physical tools are probably a bit less impressive than his counterparts but still better-than-average; ETA late 2020.

Same.  I'd especially like Adell.

1 hour ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Is there any evidence (source) that says that the O's chose Rasmus over Jay? That is a sincere question, I am not trying to be snarky. Perhaps Jay didn't want to come here. It takes both sides to do a deal.

2 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

Is there any evidence (source) that says that the O's chose Rasmus over Jay? That is a sincere question, I am not trying to be snarky. Perhaps Jay didn't want to come here. It takes both sides to do a deal.

Fair question, and to my knowledge there isn't.  All we know is that we signed Rasmus (2/22) before Jay signed in KC (3/6) for a very reasonable contract (1/$3 mill plus some incentives).  Given that A) spring training was getting underway when we signed Rasmus, B) it's not like the Royals are a particularly appealing destination, and C) we had playing time to offer Jay, it's an assumption, but probably a fairly good one, that Jay could have been had for a similar contract (1/$3ish) at that juncture.  Coupling that with our past pursuit of Rasmus, and the organization's apparent affinity for him, I don't think it's a stretch that we preferred Rasmus over Jay.

So yes, a fair question, but as I'm sure you know, that isn't the type of thing that is often publicly discussed.  That said, I think these are reasonable dots to connect.

Archived