The Oriole Killer Hall of Fame

JR Oriole

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

In no particular order....and because I don't believe any of these are named.

Derek Jeter

Jeffrey Maier

Peter Angelos

Jeter wasn’t particularly tough on the O’s — .793 OPS compared to his career .817 OPS vs. everyone.   

Maier was very tough on us.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Played around with B-R play index, and here's what I came up with:

• Andy Marte: 223 split OPS+ (that is his ops+ relative to his OPS vs. everyone.)   in 55 PA
    .354 .377 .667 1.044
  • Javy Lopez: 203 split OPS+ in 55 PA
    .442 .455 .827 1.281
  • Andrew McCutcheon: 202 split OPS+ in 64 PA
    .500 .571 .731 1.302

I honestly didn't know Javy played that many games against us.  But still, he crushed us all the same.

Ian Kinsler was a nightmare against us for the first half of his career.  I remember looking in the late 2000s and at one point his career average was something like .390 against us. 

He has tapered off since then but his career batting average against us is 75 bps higher than it is against the rest of the majors (.343 vs. .268).

6 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

lf of his career.  I remember looking in the late 2000s and at one point his career average was something like .390 against us. 

He has tapered off since then but his career batting average against us is 75 bps higher than it is against the rest of

6 minutes ago, weams said:

3c7d4253ede50da602eacc31813b8cfd--pro-ba

Hats don't get much better than that.

8 minutes ago, The Goob said:

Tony Fernandez

I will never forget when he did it out against Benitez in Game 6 of 1997.  Broke my heart and cost the Orioles their best chance to win a title over the last 35 years.

As a member of the break our heart 1989 Blue Jays, I was not surprised when Tony Fernandez hit that homer against us.  It was devastating, as was the Grissom homerun in Game 2 that changed the entire series.  And the Sandy Alomar walkoff in Game 4.  All of which came against Armando Benitez, who just crushed us in that series with his unclutch awfulness. 

The only consolation was that Tony Fernandez committed a horrible error in extra innings of Game 7 of the World Series, which ultimately led to Florida winning the series.  He drove in the only Cleveland runs much earlier in that game, but his error is how he was/is remembered. 

Don Buford

I Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+

Baltimore Orioles 72 62 285 248 41 77 10 5 0 15 19 9 32 29 .310 .389 .391 .780 97 1 1 2 2 2 2 .348 111

7 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

As a member of the break our heart 1989 Blue Jays, I was not surprised when Tony Fernandez hit that homer against us.  It was devastating, as was the Grissom homerun in Game 2 that changed the entire series.  And the Sandy Alomar walkoff in Game 4.  All of which came against Armando Benitez, who just crushed us in that series with his unclutch awfulness. 

The only consolation was that Tony Fernandez committed a horrible error in extra innings of Game 7 of the World Series, which ultimately led to Florida winning the series.  He drove in the only Cleveland runs much earlier in that game, but his error is how he was/is remembered. 

Grissom also scored the winning run in Game 3 on a steal of home on the non-called foul bunt attempt.  Just an awful series of events in 1997 when the Orioles were the best team in baseball the entire season

How has Robinson Canó not been mentioned? In 180 career games, he has demolished us to the tune of .328/.378/.527/.904 with 29 HR and 111 RBI. We’re a big part of why he’s going to be in the Hall someday.

4 minutes ago, Babkins said:

How has Robinson Canó not been mentioned? In 180 career games, he has demolished us to the tune of .328/.378/.527/.904 with 29 HR and 111 RBI. We’re a big part of why he’s going to be in the Hall someday.

Oh, wait, scratch that. Totally forgot about the suspension.

Archived