What do we think of Dylan Bundy?

Barnaby Graves

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Why would you NOW trade Bundy after he's showing us the only quality pitching the franchise has at this level? What am I missing?

I don’t like it either. But without we don’t win before 2022 without trading him. The farm system is barren. We have no depth and our “top” prospects have big flaws. 

Hopefullu this won’t be 14, but it may be 7 years of losing. Our best best is to just burn it down and get three straight #1 picks and only trade for guys in AA or lower. We’re screwed. 

9 hours ago, Malike said:

I'm down to trade them all. Whatever gives you the best return. Bundy won't be a part of the next winning O's team.

Eh you never know. No one expected the Os to compete in 2012. Things can happen quickly and unexpectedly. That said, I wouldn't especially care if they did trade him. Either way is similarly defensible IMO.

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Eh you never know. No one expected the Os to compete in 2012. Things can happen quickly and unexpectedly. That said, I wouldn't especially care if they did trade him. Either way is similarly defensible IMO.

I don't think it is wise to plan around things like the O's 2012 season.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

9 quality starts out of 14, and two others that were half decent.   

So wait, 9 quality starts out of 14? Don't be that guy that moves the goal posts :) 

It's not that he's got 9 quality starts out of 14, I guess that's a decent ratio.  It's the ones that aren't quality starts that are particularly ugly.  4.2 innings, 7 earned runs against Tampa, 4.1 and 5 earned against Anaheim, the infamous 0.0 game against Kansas City where he gave up 7 earned.  Those starts were all in a row.

Now, he's bounced back pretty nicely.  I really like his k rate this year, he's bumped it up by about 2, IIRC.  IMO, he's a really solid #2 pitcher that can look like a #1 on some days.  But I don't think a true #1 has a string of games like that.

Good news is that I don't think he's hit his ceiling and he can get better.  Maybe he can get to that true ace status.  But I can't shake those terrible outings.  I'll stand firm on that, he can look like an ace on some nights and look terrible the next.  

9 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Bundy is as close to an ace that we have had since Mussina.  

That may be proven in a few years, but for now that’s an awfully bold statement.    I’m going with Erik Bedard until then.   

I think Bundy is a solid pitcher. His strikeouts are up this year and if you take away that one terrible start his numbers are great. Even with it they're good for an AL East pitcher. I don't think the team should consider trading him unless they go into full rebuild mode. They'd be better off trying to trade Cashner and Cobb. The return wouldn't be great, but someone would take them and it might be worth it get out from under those contracts. I'd also be fine with them trading Gausman. Then put whatever pitching prospects you get in return for Machado, Britton, Brach, etc. in the starting rotation next year. 

Bundy seems to be the best pitcher we've drafted and developed since Bedard, and I think we all see he has potential to be even greater.

I'd like to think he's a valuable future piece that we can lock up and build around.........but we haven't shown much interest in locking up our extremely talented young guys in awhile.    It'd be nice if that changed.

5 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Why would you NOW trade Bundy after he's showing us the only quality pitching the franchise has at this level? What am I missing?

You wouldn't unless you think he is overachieving, which I don't think he is. Or unless you're willing to commit to a full rebuild. I personally wouldn't shop Bundy. I'd entertain offers for Gausman, Cobb, and Cashner though. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

You wouldn't unless you think he is overachieving, which I don't think he is. Or unless you're willing to commit to a full rebuild. I personally wouldn't shop Bundy. I'd entertain offers for Gausman, Cobb, and Cashner though. 

I wouldn't shop him either, but if I could get two starting pitchers that are good prospects for him and could maybe squeeze in a low level infielder with a high upside I'd be tempted.  It'd have to be a lot.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

So wait, 9 quality starts out of 14? Don't be that guy that moves the goal posts :) 

It's not that he's got 9 quality starts out of 14, I guess that's a decent ratio.  It's the ones that aren't quality starts that are particularly ugly.  4.2 innings, 7 earned runs against Tampa, 4.1 and 5 earned against Anaheim, the infamous 0.0 game against Kansas City where he gave up 7 earned.  Those starts were all in a row.

Now, he's bounced back pretty nicely.  I really like his k rate this year, he's bumped it up by about 2, IIRC.  IMO, he's a really solid #2 pitcher that can look like a #1 on some days.  But I don't think a true #1 has a string of games like that.

Good news is that I don't think he's hit his ceiling and he can get better.  Maybe he can get to that true ace status.  But I can't shake those terrible outings.  I'll stand firm on that, he can look like an ace on some nights and look terrible the next.  

I’m just saying that the good nights outnumber the bad ones by a pretty good margin.    It’s not like it’s a 1-1 tradeoff.

But otherwise, I agree with you.    Bundy needs to learn to limit the damage on the days when he doesn’t have it.    The same was true last year when he had 19 quality starts in 28 outings, and yet  allowed 6+ earned runs five times.

By the way, without that one ridiculous outing where Bundy allowed 7 ER without recording an out, his ERA would be 2.90 right now.   That one outing cost him 0.77 on his ERA.    The bright side, I suppose, is he’ll probably never have an outing quite that bad again.    

I'd shop him along with pretty much everyone else. I still have trouble assuming a guy with his injury history coming up is all of a sudden going to remain healthy long term. I still see his arm as a potential ticking bomb, and I don't have much faith in this team being good over the next 3 years or so anyway.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m just saying that the good nights outnumber the bad ones by a pretty good margin.    It’s not like it’s a 1-1 tradeoff.

But otherwise, I agree with you.    Bundy needs to learn to limit the damage on the days when he doesn’t have it.    The same was true last year when he had 19 quality starts in 28 outings, and yet  allowed 6+ earned runs five times.

By the way, without that one ridiculous outing where Bundy allowed 7 ER without recording an out, his ERA would be 2.90 right now.   That one outing cost him 0.77 on his ERA.    The bright side, I suppose, is he’ll probably never have an outing quite that bad again.    

Yeah, its def not a 1-1 tradeoff.

That one outing really hurt, for sure.  The thing I really do like about him is that he made an adjustment after that stretch of starts, I forget what it was and I don't think he went into too much detail about it, but he was able to identify it and fix it.  I think he's a smart guy and willing to work to make adjustments when things aren't going his way.  However, that appears to be after the start and not in-game when he's having a bad day.  

But that's ok, he's clearly our best starter and the games he starts are the ones worth watching.  

Archived