Grayson Rodriguez interview

Frobby

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm curious as far as what you see that is particularly complicated or inconsistent about his delivery?

I misspoke a bit. I was going by memory and when I went back and re-watched his delivery I remembered my concern was more with the amount of strain he seems to be placing on his arm. He doesn't seem to be using his body and legs to help generate speed. It's all arm. 

11 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I misspoke a bit. I was going by memory and when I went back and re-watched his delivery I remembered my concern was more with the amount of strain he seems to be placing on his arm. He doesn't seem to be using his body and legs to help generate speed. It's all arm. 

He uses his torso and front leg along with his lever length to create the velocity. Watch a video in slow motion and pause exactly as the front foot touches the ground, look at the separation between his lower and upper half. His torso is facing 3B, his arm is cocked and visable well behind his back (good shoulder flexibility). Then watch a side view video and see how effectively he stiffens his front leg on landing which transfers all that potential energy he has coiled up, thus accelerating his arm into release. It's a good delivery for a guy with his frame. 

My questions about him are more whether the velocity increase will last under a pro workload, what does the changeup look like, can he command his offspeed stuff, is there enough deception?

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Rooting hard for him, too.  Seems like a good kid.

Glad he said he felt that there's always room to work on command and command of off-speed pitches.

But I'd gladly trade up niceness and politeness for someone who can win games and make a difference.  I'd take a team full of Ty Cobbs if it meant 95 wins a year.

I would never let anyone on that team talk to the media.  So many suspensions in this PC world of ours.

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Do we even need to sarcasm emoji anymore? I just assume sarcasm and am pleasantly surprised when it isn't these days. ;) 

Yeah we need one to indicate when sarcasm is not present at this point.

Archived