Time to give up on Mike Wright Jr.

connja

11 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Could he develop another pitch? Developing another pitch can turn a career around. You hate to give up too soon on a power arm.

Waiting until you have no options midway through a major league season is very poor timing to consider trying a new pitch.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never liked his demeanor/body language on the mound, but honestly I always thought the raw stuff was OK.  The breaking ball isn't great, but that sinking fastball he throws can be pretty good when it's on.

With that said, I haven't had any interest in seeing him pitch here for over a year now, but it wouldn't surprise me if he found success elsewhere.

Just now, birdwatcher55 said:

He's got three plus months to work on it. Why not here? As you probably noticed, we're not going anywhere for a few years.

I’d prefer the Orioles to play real baseball and not be a weird think tank for baseball experiments. These games still count and they still matter, and I wouldn’t be able to complain about how terrible this season is if I thought otherwise.

If Mike Wright sucks then the organization needs to figure out why— not on a major league diamond and not two years too late. It’s a professional courtesy that we deserve extended to us, since we’re the ones paying for it.

11 hours ago, Oriol3s said:

This crazy fear that every pitcher we let go will turn into Arrieta...EdRod is really good, but Miller helped us into the playoffs that year.  Hader is amazing now, but it's not even with the team that traded for him, so he's had a lot of time and coaches to find his thing.  Mike Wright will never be better than an okay bullpen arm.

Arrieta was AMAZING many times in his early MiL and ML career. Just couldn't do it consistently here.

He looked un-hittable many a game for the Orioles and then the 4th or 5th inning would come along and he would totally lose it. I don't think Buck liked him.  I don't think he thought he was a nugget. 

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

He looked un-hittable many a game for the Orioles and then the 4th or 5th inning would come along and he would totally lose it. I don't think Buck liked him.  I don't think he thought he was a nugget. 

Buck not thinking he was a nugget is exactly what keeps that guy from being able to locate pitches and keep the ball in the yard.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Buck not thinking he was a nugget is exactly what keeps that guy from being able to locate pitches and keep the ball in the yard.

I think he didn't do well under pressure because of Buck.  But whatever I think the reason he was traded because of Buck.  I wanted Arrieta traded as well.  As were trying to win games back then and Arrieta wasn't helping. 

Just now, atomic said:

I think he didn't do well under pressure because of Buck.  But whatever I think the reason he was traded because of Buck.  I wanted Arrieta traded as well.  As were trying to win games back then and Arrieta wasn't helping. 

My bad, I thought you were talking about Wright, you were talking about Arrieta.

What went south with Arrieta was that they tinkered with his motion.  Arrieta, IIRC, throws across his body, naturally.  Not ideal, puts more stress on the arm.  But the Orioles tried to get him to straighten it out, deviating from what always had worked well for him.  When he got to Chicago, they freed him up to do what came naturally and felt good for him.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

My bad, I thought you were talking about Wright, you were talking about Arrieta.

What went south with Arrieta was that they tinkered with his motion.  Arrieta, IIRC, throws across his body, naturally.  Not ideal, puts more stress on the arm.  But the Orioles tried to get him to straighten it out, deviating from what always had worked well for him.  When he got to Chicago, they freed him up to do what came naturally and felt good for him.

Wright's problem is he just isn't very good.  

13 hours ago, atomic said:

Doesn't have Arrieta stuff. 

Not even close to the same level of stuff that Arrieta had. Wright never had an outpitch in the minors and his command has always been shaky. He just can't make quality pitches consistently and at this point and doubtful he ever will. 

Saying that, unless he's keeping the Orioles from giving someone a look, he can eat up some innings in mop up situations. Saying that, if they DFA'd him and started to give guys like Melville and or Ramirez his role I'd be fine with that.

• 6 months later...

Wright reminds me of Arrietta whereas I think so much of their issues were and are pyschological.   I think maybe some guys you can give to much information to and it’s overload and they try to do to much instead of just going out there pitching their game the way they know how without thinking to much and their just not having fun out there.

Archived