Crazy Trade proposal

Hallas

If you are rebuilding right then Davis' money doesn't mean anything.  You are getting your production out of low cost players and the only players you are paying significant money for are free agents on 1-2 year "prove it deals".  By the time the team needs to hone it's roster and utilize that Davis money it will be the last year of the deal.  But this all requires getting something for Manny.  So no, this deal is nuts.

31 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

If you are rebuilding right then Davis' money doesn't mean anything.  You are getting your production out of low cost players and the only players you are paying significant money for are free agents on 1-2 year "prove it deals".  By the time the team needs to hone it's roster and utilize that Davis money it will be the last year of the deal.  But this all requires getting something for Manny.  So no, this deal is nuts.

Agreed, and those 1-2 year prove it deals are great for rebuilding teams. Best case is a hot start and a trade.

38 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I'm half expecting the Orioles to increase the monthly MASN fee to cover the cost of eating the remaining years of Davis' contract.  

11 hours ago, oriole said:

105 million for a few months of Manny? I just want you to think about that for a little bit and you might realize how ridiculous it is.

I think a bad contract swap could be possible. I'm thinking something like Machado, Davis, and Givens for Jordan Zimmermann. That's the only way it works.

You're right,  I did a back-of-napkin when coming up with this and I overestimated Machado's value by a fair bit.  The marginal cost of a win at the deadline is something like 18 million.  Depending on how good you think Machado is, he's worth between 55 and 75 million in return value.  So in order to be an even trade, and assuming that Mountcastle is worth about 10 million, you'd have to kick in an additional $20-35 million for it to be a fair deal.

But it sounds like most people don't believe the money is meaningful during a rebuild, so dropping Davis' contract doesn't have a ton of value for us.

Chris Davis contract is just an excuse. His yearly avg salary shouldn't hamper this team and it sure as hell isn't worth just giving Manny away just to get rid of it. Makes zero sense. The young players the Orioles desperately need for Machado will cost virtually nothing anyhow.

Archived