Watch out for the Royals

JR Oriole

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

Oh yes the NFL. The No Fun League. Owners like Jones have ruined that league for me. If I had to watch football I'd much rather watch the college games. 

I can't say that owners have ruined anything for me in terms of the NFL.  I have been a Dolphins fan for over 30 years, so their complete irrelevance since Marino retired has done more damage than any owner.  When the Patriots beat the Seahawks and then came back and beat the Falcons, I had reached the tipping point.  That team is like the devil and they never go away.  I am not sure how or why Tom Brady does not age or get injured like everyone else on this Earth, but I will watch football again when he finally goes away for good. I was glad the Eagles won, but I didn't see a minute of the Super Bowl because I cannot bear to watch the Patriots play.  I hate them too much.  College football is great, but I am getting sick of Alabama.  These dynasties in sports are just not fun....they take too long to go away. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JR Oriole said:

These dynasties in sports are just not fun....they take too long to go away. 

True but 3 of the last 4 major sports championships were first timers: MLB - Houston, NFL (Super Bowl era)  - Philadelphia, NHL - Washington, NBA - Golden State.

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

True but 3 of the last 4 major sports championships were first timers: MLB - Houston, NFL (Super Bowl era)  - Philadelphia, NHL - Washington, NBA - Golden State.

Yes and that has been great.  Especially with baseball.  The Giants have won 3 titles recently, but the last 3 seasons have been new teams.  The Eagles stopped the Patriots, so that was good.  And the Caps.....goes without saying.  Thank goodness the Penguins didn't win again....sick of them.  But Golden State is a real problem.....too much better than everybody else.  And they are all young.  This could go on for awhile.  The NBA is boring now. 

3 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

I can't say that owners have ruined anything for me in terms of the NFL.  I have been a Dolphins fan for over 30 years, so their complete irrelevance since Marino retired has done more damage than any owner.  When the Patriots beat the Seahawks and then came back and beat the Falcons, I had reached the tipping point.  That team is like the devil and they never go away.  I am not sure how or why Tom Brady does not age or get injured like everyone else on this Earth, but I will watch football again when he finally goes away for good. I was glad the Eagles won, but I didn't see a minute of the Super Bowl because I cannot bear to watch the Patriots play.  I hate them too much.  College football is great, but I am getting sick of Alabama.  These dynasties in sports are just not fun....they take too long to go away. 

Embrace the greatness that is Tom Brady.

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Embrace the greatness that is Tom Brady.

Usually about twice during every summer, I get ants in my kitchen.  I use this stuff called Terro and it gets rid of them in less than a day.  But I am absolutely fascinated with their mass organization and relentless pursuit of food.  I respect them for their greatness and how they move in perfect lines across my kitchen counter, undeterred by my angst at them being there or the sight of their dead colleagues when I kill a few because they got to close to my coffee.  This is how I feel about Brady.  He is the clutchest athlete I have ever seen, and I remember thinking back in 2005 that he was the greatest QB ever.  I have a ton of respect for anyone who comes through big in the postseason because that is where the true pressure is....and that dude delivers time and time again despite his age and mileage.

But just like the ants in my kitchen, I want Brady to go away for good and never come back.  I have had enough of him, and I have had enough of that region of the country winning championships.   

3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

It certainly didn't hurt that Markakis is Greek.  Angelos funded the 2004 Greek Olympic baseball team.

https://commmedia.psu.edu/special-coverage/story/greece/baseball-clings-to-existence-in-greece-after-2004-olympics

Adam Jones was the 37th (supplemental) pick in the same 2003 1st round.

I don't know if he insisted on Nick or just set a limit on spending.

9 hours ago, weams said:

I don;t think number one pick means anything. Anything for next year.  Top five is fine. 

How often does the no. 1 pick turn out to be the best guy?    Not that often, really.   I’d rather have the highest possible pick, but it’s not something to obsess about.    

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How often does the no. 1 pick turn out to be the best guy?    Not that often, really.   I’d rather have the highest possible pick, but it’s not something to obsess about.    

Are you really going to say that Buster Posey is better than Tim Beckham, or Mike Trout is better than Strasburg? Kershaw and Scherzer over Hochevar? C'mon ??If you go by career WAR, Chris Sale beats both Harper and ManNY.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I've said this jokingly in the past, but I mean every word of the sentiment behind it.  Whenever I need to sober up in a hurry, I go to Baseball Reference, find the draft section and spend about ten minutes working my way backward focusing on the top ten picks from each year.  Yes, higher is better than lower in the aggregate but even a cursory glance shows it is always such a crapshoot that obsessing over the first pick is simply not worth all the angst.  It is certainly not worth wishing for team you claim to root for to lose.

1 minute ago, Lucky_13 said:

Really? Wonder if they could have done anything with Longoria and Posey in their primes with that pitching core 

Yep, it was pre-slotting and they thought he would be too expensive.

I've never understood that, if a kid hits the team is so far ahead.

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Quick peek at the Royals schedule, they close out against Cleveland who could be setting up their rotation, too.

We have two games against them to kick off September.  I don't want Mike Wright on this team anymore but I'd give him and Tillman the starts for those games. :) 

I say pitch Chris Davis in long relief (on both nights).

23 hours ago, Aglets said:

The 2005 team continues their surge after starting out 42-30, and we win the World Series, bringing back a new age of Prosperity and Joy for all.

Pretty sure all the science here checks out.

Didn't Roberts have his arm practically torn off i n there somewhere??

Archived