The Athletic: Buck Showalter's Job No Longer Secure

Rene88

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see the point in changing who is at the helm when his contract is up after this season anyway.

Unless of course they think they can get whomever it is they want to marshal the team through the rebuild.

I'd rather they just hire a GM in the offseason and have them hire the next manager.

They should hire a new GM today so he is handling the fire sale and not disastrous Dan Duchette.  

DD is responsible

For trading starting pitching prospects for quixotic playoff runs.

For building a team with no on-base guys to hit 1st or 2nd.

For wasting a roster spot every year on dubious Rule 5 players.

For not giving Cruz an extra year to keep him (one of his few good signings, IMHO).

For wrecking the OF defense by letting Markakis go.

For not extending Machado (and probably Schoop), the first great position player developed internally since Ripken (maybe Roberts).

For the string of losers starting games, Feldman, Jimenez, Cobb...

For not overhauling scouting.

DD probably wasn’t responsible for Davis’ ridiculous contract, I think Angelos did that himself.

His track record shows that he is the wrong guy to be rebuilding this disaster.  Bring on the new guy ASAP.

Just now, JazzyJake said:

They should hire a new GM today so he is handling the fire sale and not disastrous Dan Duchette.  

DD is responsible

For not giving Cruz an extra year to keep him (one of his few good signings, IMHO).

For not extending Machado (and probably Schoop), the first great position player developed internally since Ripken (maybe Roberts).

DD probably wasn’t responsible for Davis’ ridiculous contract, I think Angelos did that himself.

His track record shows that he is the wrong guy to be rebuilding this disaster.  Bring on the new guy ASAP.

So you are advocating for Brady?

As I've said before: who ever is playing for this team , they will decide to win and become contenders in spite of rather than because of the idiots in the FO. They will completely ignore those idiots in the FO . That's most likely what happened In 2012.

20 minutes ago, JazzyJake said:

DD is responsible

I think you need to shine the black light on Brady Anderson before you completely throw Duquette under the bus. 

34 minutes ago, JazzyJake said:

DD is responsible

Amen! I agree with all of this. Duquette needs to go ASAP. But Brady needs to go, too.

Let's can Duquette tomorrow.  Hell, yesterday!  Let's throw the FO rank-and-file into utter chaos, because this dumpster fire just isn't big enough to satisfy everybody who doesn't have a dog in the fight.

Repeat after me, actions don't have consequences,  actions don't have consequences...

Let's face it none of us knows who is responsible for every decision.  I thought it was Angelo's who was against Markakis signing due to physical.  

I know DD could not fire any of any of Macphails cronies so he eliminated pro scouting  and made them amateur area scouts so they would quit. 

Lot of stuff we will never know but Angelo's never likes just one guy in charge. 

16 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

While Brady lacks the credentials and experience that most other teams would insist on before granting someone an important role in player personnel decisions, Brady is an intelligent, personable, attractive and (it appears) very diligent and responsible guy. I suspect that the Angeloses think they know everything they need to know about the business side of baseball, and  that Brady checks one of the two boxes they can't: he played the game for a long time, successfully, and knows a lot more than they do about it. (The other box is the boring, in-the-weeds mechanics of making trades, options, the waiver wire, that sort of thing. You can just hire someone to do that stuff.)

To Peter Angelos, success is not about credentials or qualifications. He prides himself on having become successful without the credentials that, in his view, other MLB owners have because they were born to wealth and privilege. Peter Angelos made his fortune not from his credentials or his legal expertise or his professional experience, but from building and capitalizing on relationships -- with the labor unions whose members were exposed to asbestos, with Baltimore judges, and with Maryland legislators and politicians. As others have pointed out, the number one priority for Angelos in assessing his underlings is their loyalty to him -- which I would define as the ability of Oriole employees to recognize, and display their recognition, the fact that Angelos is right about everything, their doing things that demonstrate support for Angelos's judgments and opinions, and their never doing or saying anything that calls those judgments and beliefs into question. I surmise that Brady has shown that kind of loyalty -- and, probably, has been obvious about it. -- more than others in the organization . 

This post could not be more on point. I believe this is how the organization has been run since Angelos took over. Sure, there have been times where he's stepped back a bit, but at the end of the day, those loyal to the Angelos' will always have the power and influence within the organization regardless of their baseball resumes.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

This post could not be more on point. I believe this is how the organization has been run since Angelos took over. Sure, there have been times where he's stepped back a bit, but at the end of the day, those loyal to the Angelos' will always have the power and influence within the organization regardless of their baseball resumes.

Yeah, that was a hell of a post @spiritof66

17 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Getting swept at home by Miami should be the end of the road for Buck. 

Day game and off day on Monday should give him time to clean out his office.

I bet nothing happens if the Marlins complete the sweep. Just more sitting on their hands and another day where Manny doesn't get traded.  

Archived