The Marlins are the Reality Check

Camden_yardbird

Facing this Marlins team is sobering, a true reality check, for the Orioles organization.  At least it should be.  Take the Marlins this year.  They had no questions about what they were and where they were going.  Not much and nowhere.  So they began a rebuild.  They traded their three best offensive players.  Thats like taking Manny, Jones and Mancini/ off the Orioles roster.  They have gotten next to nothing from one of those trades as the player they got back, Lewis Brinson, has done his best Chris Davis impression.  And yet they are 10 games better than the Orioles.

And the Orioles tried to compete, stated they thought they could contend for a wildcard spot.  That has happened.  And this weekend we will see the two teams compete.  The one that knew they were at the bottom, and the one who hadn't quite realized it yet.

10 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Facing this Marlins team is sobering, a true reality check, for the Orioles organization.  At least it should be.  Take the Marlins this year.  They had no questions about what they were and where they were going.  Not much and nowhere.  So they began a rebuild.  They traded their three best offensive players.  Thats like taking Manny, Jones and Mancini/ off the Orioles roster.  They have gotten next to nothing from one of those trades as the player they got back, Lewis Brinson, has done his best Chris Davis impression.  And yet they are 10 games better than the Orioles.

And the Orioles tried to compete, stated they thought they could contend for a wildcard spot.  That has happened.  And this weekend we will see the two teams compete.  The one that knew they were at the bottom, and the one who hadn't quite realized it yet.

I disagree with this take.

I think the owners took on a lot of debt with the purchase and slashed payroll to increase profitability.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I disagree with this take.

I think the owners took on a lot of debt with the purchase and slashed payroll to increase profitability.

I agree with this.  I also think they knew they couldn't compete with Stantons salary.  They didn't trade the biggest three contracts they had, they clearly traded for a rebuild as well.

4 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Brinson shouldn't be in the majors right now, but I think he'll still be decent.

But yup, pretty sobering.  Or embarrassing.   Both terms suffice.

Archived