Fangraphs: Missing Fans

weams

We can argue about a salary cap working or not working but in reality whats needed is a level playing field for all teams.   And w/o a salary cap the field is not level.   If a cap wont work then come up with something that will.  Another problem is young people just arent as passionate about pro sports as earlier generations.  When I was a kid pro sports meant everything.  In football season we would talk about the upcoming games all week.  Baseball season listening to or watching every game.  All of us kids would watch all the games even if our teams werent playing.   I dont know any kids like that now.  My kid has played little league and he's an Orioles fan but he wont sit and watch a  game with me.  He knows all the players.  But he'd rather be on XBox or some other video stuff chatting with his friends.   

Maybe a decline in viewership and attendance is inevitable in both baseball and football.  Football set itself up for somewhat of a fall.  The anthem stuff has hurt for sure and having a stooge commish doesnt help.  Is baseball really better when the Yankees are good?   Does baseball really need the Yankees to be good?  I dont think so and I get sick of hearing that.  If the Yanks had 20 consecutive losing seasons that would be GREAT for baseball!!  Res Sox too!!.  So level the playing field and see how baseball does.   Do things to make it accessible and desirable for more people to get interested.  

NASCAR peaked and then has been in steady decline.  Its a shell of its former self.   Its so bad they've torn out grandstands at tracks and still have numerous empty seats.  They've tried gimmick after gimmick and its just gotten worse.  Football and baseball are trending in that same direction w/o all the gimmicks.   IMO a level playing field in baseball gives MLB the best chance to slow the trend or reverse it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there are a few reasons attendance is down.  A primary reason is the technology of televisions has improved so dramatically in the last 10 years.  I also think pace of play (not the amount of time it takes to play) has drastically fallen off.  I blame instant replay as the primary reason for this.  Every close play has a player stepping off waiting to see if a coach wants to challenge.  Then you have the time it takes to review the play.  It’s brutal. Lastly, the style of play is turning fans off.  The all or nothing approach removes a number of productive outs that puts players in scoring position, escalating the drama.  Lastly, today’s athletes’ salaries have risen so astronomically that the average individual has no compressible ability to relate to these players. The problem is compounded when the amount of accessibility fans have often provided glimpses into what type of ego these players have (and the contempt/disdain ownership sometimes has for fans).  The game is extremely flawed and I question whether the powers to be have the stomach to make the hard choices that need to be made to improve the appeal of the sport.  On the plus side for baseball, every other major sport is experiencing the same phenomenon.   

6 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

Municipalities? Broke? Where I live they are paving 2 streets. Problem is, they were paved just 2 years ago. We are just a small place. They have a work force of about 30 guys. What do we need 30 guys for? Their 'Supervisor' is constantly on the phone running his landscape business. We have 2 fulltime women that work in the village office. What do they do? Count the property tax checks and water bill checks that come in once a year. The Code Enforcement officer get full time pay for being there 3-4 days a week. All he does is drive around looking for things to bother people about. Broke? Of course their broke. They spend money they don't need to.

$ doesn't have to go to jobs: parks, small business loans, little leagues, boys and girls clubs,etc. I agree, govt. work can be redundant, but surplus budgets can lead to some quality community projects.  Baltimore could use it.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just think that people would rather watch games from the comfort of their own homes these days.  I know I actually would.  180 bucks out the window today for tickets today.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to spend time with Dad and this is what he wanted to do.  

But honestly, I have no desire to go to Camden Yards anymore.  I must have been to easily over 100 games.  It's a beautiful park, I've soaked it all in.  Seen awesome things happen there.  But I just don't feel like putting forth the effort to go anymore.  Same with a closer team, the Nats.  No desire to go down there.  Same with the Redskins.

I've got a 65 inch tv with a great picture.  I can make my own food or get something delivered.  I don't have to dedicate a giant chunk of a day to commuting to a stadium.  

Why would I want to go OPACY again?

If they are winning the games are a lot more fun at Camden Yards.  Being outside .  Exciting atmosphere.  Everyone high-fiving each other.  People having a good time.   When they are getting shut-out yeah it isn't much fun at the games. 

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And how is that an inner city problem and not an overall problem for the lower economic class?

You think folks in the rural deep south have 100 bucks a month for cable?

If you haven't noticed the percent of American players on teams that don't come from a travel team background is going down.

Yeah it is a problem for rural America too. Just not as many people in rural America.  Oh well. I think in 25 years or so baseball will be way down the list of most popular American sports.   White men over 40 still like it and they and that group currently has a large disposable income.  In 25 years all those folks will be retired and not spending as much money. 

A lot of people I work with don't know Manny Machado from Mike Trout but they cant talk about Messi and Ronaldo.   Name everyone on Real Madrid on Barcelona teams along with the Premier League. 

Really outside of these boards I have never heard a single person mention Mike Trout.   They know Ovechkin and Crosby.  They know Lebron James.  They know Tom Brady, Tiger Woods and Rodger Federer.  Probably no stars is hurting baseball as well.  They need guys who are setting records.  Someone who transcends the sport.   

Look at Trout's first MVP season: .289 average 36 home runs. 111 RBIS, 16 SB 184 strike outs.  Nothing about that season is exciting.  He is no Barry Bonds.  

1 minute ago, ThomasTomasz said:

You hit the nail on the head.  MLB has to market their talents better and make us want to see them.  It's a crime that we never get to see Mike Trout on the East Coast unless he is playing our team.  

I just don't think they have talents that are marketable.   People are caught up on this WAR stat and no casual fan cares about that.  Trout is just not marketable to the casual fan.     

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

I just don't think they have talents that are marketable.   People are caught up on this WAR stat and no casual fan cares about that.  Trout is just not marketable to the casual fan.     

Yea and he's an Eagles fan too so he has that going against him.

21 minutes ago, atomic said:

Right, plus center fielder who hits dongs.

No one cares about that.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No one cares about that.

Maybe its the team he's on.   Or maybe its because he has no charisma.  Or maybe its becuz the media doesnt push him all the time and swing from his jock like they did with Jeter.  

2 hours ago, Punchandjudy said:

I think there are a few reasons attendance is down.  A primary reason is the technology of televisions has improved so dramatically in the last 10 years.  I also think pace of play (not the amount of time it takes to play) has drastically fallen off.  I blame instant replay as the primary reason for this.  Every close play has a player stepping off waiting to see if a coach wants to challenge.  Then you have the time it takes to review the play.  It’s brutal. Lastly, the style of play is turning fans off.  The all or nothing approach removes a number of productive outs that puts players in scoring position, escalating the drama.  Lastly, today’s athletes’ salaries have risen so astronomically that the average individual has no compressible ability to relate to these players. The problem is compounded when the amount of accessibility fans have often provided glimpses into what type of ego these players have (and the contempt/disdain ownership sometimes has for fans).  The game is extremely flawed and I question whether the powers to be have the stomach to make the hard choices that need to be made to improve the appeal of the sport.  On the plus side for baseball, every other major sport is experiencing the same phenomenon.   

This is an underrated point.  Baseball (especially the Orioles) is a lot less fun to watch than 20+ years ago.  Watching players strikeout constantly makes the games hard to watch.  

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No one cares about that.

He's the best in his sport.   And he's far less recognizable to the average fan or even non-fan than the best player in any other major sport.

10 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

... Broke? Of course their broke. They spend money they don't need to.

I wish to apologize for my grammatical error.  It is supposed to be 'they're' broke, not 'their' broke.   I, unlike KKKK Davis, know when I am in the wrong and wish to correct my mistake.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No one cares about that.

He hasnt lead the league in home runs.   He hasnt lead it in average and he has 1 hit in 15 post season at bats.  Plus he has a forgettable face.  

3 hours ago, MagicBird said:

Maybe its the team he's on.   Or maybe its because he has no charisma.  Or maybe its becuz the media doesnt push him all the time and swing from his jock like they did with Jeter.  

Jeter played in 7 World Series and 10 league championships. Trouts team has never won a playoff game. 

Archived