Os veteran players job security correlates to performance

wildcard

Job Security - Offense

Its appears that for the most part the O's veteran players that are are free agency or are working on one year contract are playing better that O's player that have some job security.

Playing to their potential - Manny, Jones, Valencia, Gentry (Gentry had a bad April but has a high OBP in May and June.  He has never been a power threat)

Players not playing to their  potential - Davis, Schoop, Mancini,  Trumbo

I am not counting rookies.

Injury players -  Beckham and Rasmus  just aren't capable of doing the job physical

Alvarez is not playing to his potential and does not have job security

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Job Security - Offense

Its appears that for the most part the O's veteran players that are are free agency or are working on one year contract are playing better that O's player that have some job security.

Playing to their potential - Manny, Jones, Valencia, Gentry (Gentry had a bad April but has a high OBP in May and June.  He has never been a power threat)

Injury players -  Beckham and Rasmus  just aren't capable of doing the job physical

Schoop and Mancini are working on one year contracts.

Joseph is working on a one year contract.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

But they are not likely to be DFA'd.  And they can't be free agents.  

Mancini and Schoop could be sent down.  But in Schoop's case that is  not likely because there is no replacement.   Mancini could be sent down and if he does not improve he might be as Stewart, Yaz  and Mullins are ready.  So I think you are right about Mancini. His job security is getting thinner and thinner.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

The post was about job security, not salary security, and you know that.

Hah.  You don't think Joseph is a non-tender candidate at the end of the season?  You don't think next June he might not be coaching in the minors?

In any sensible organization Mancini would have been demoted by now.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Joseph is working on a one year contract.

I agree with you on Joseph.  His performance does not correlate to job security.  Non performance is probably more  due to a lack of ability.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hah.  You don't think Joseph is a non-tender candidate at the end of the season?  You don't think next June he might not be coaching in the minors?

In any sensible organization Mancini would have been demoted by now.

He didn’t even mention Joseph in his post.

It’s obvious that you are just arguing technicalities for the point of arguing.

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Job Security - Offense

Interesting observation.  Although I would dispute that Jones is "playing to his potential."  His offensive numbers are very consistent with his career numbers, but his defense has been bad the past few years and is absolutely atrocious this year.

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He didn’t even mention Joseph in his post.

It’s obvious that you are just arguing technicalities for the point of arguing.

Since he neglected to mention Joseph I can't bring him up as a data point?

I was disagreeing with his reasoning and hey, how about that, the OP agreed with me on Joseph.  ?

And he agreed with me on Mancini. ?

Not sure why you decided to play the white knight here but the OP agreed with two of my three points so I'm not sure why you decided to get involved Mr Helper.

2 minutes ago, Otter said:

Interesting observation.  Although I would dispute that Jones is "playing to his potential."  His offensive numbers are very consistent with his career numbers, but his defense has been bad the past few years and is absolutely atrocious this year.

His performance is probably to his potential at his age.   Father time is catching up with him defensively.  He should probably be a corner outfielder at this point.

2 minutes ago, Otter said:

I think he had the potential to beat out that ground ball in the ninth.

Yes, I'm still annoyed at that.

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There was a fly ball earlier in the game that I was as surprised he didn't catch as he was when it ended up in his glove on the bounce.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe he would have if he had run harder and not been watching at what Castro was doing.

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

The post was about job security, not salary security, and you know that.

I don’t think job security has anything to do with it. We just happen to have all of our “bad” players on terrible contracts. Just a coincidence. They players we decided to pay and wrap up are the worst. It’s kinda sad. 

Archived