Speculation piece lists Bundy as a player that could be traded

Greg Pappas

4 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Because Archer is injured and teams aren't going to pay top dollar for an injured player. I think Archer would be dealt this year if healthy...and still might if he gets back in time to get a couple starts (provided he looks good in those starts).

Then they'll wait until the offseason and deal him. There's no chance they trade Snell. He's a top 10 SP in the making. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

If we can get as much as you say for Machado and Britton (as well as Brach and perhaps others), why not keep Bundy and trade Gausman and keep Bundy? 

I like keeping Bundy over Gausman in terms of pure talent. If I had to choose which one to keep right now, it'd be Bundy.

But two thoughts: 1) I still think KG can develop into a TOR starter and might have a higher ceiling than Bundy... so there could be hidden (or at least less obvious) value there. If true, Gaus could be a low-perceived-value trade chip, and bring back much less than he's ultimately worth. 

Bundy's more of a known quantity, and what's known about him is probably better than what we know about Gausman right now. 

If you traded Bundy, you might get more value back on a relative basis, if that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Bradysburns said:

I like keeping Bundy over Gausman in terms of pure talent. If I had to choose which one to keep right now, it'd be Bundy.

But two thoughts: 1) I still think KG can develop into a TOR starter and might have a higher ceiling than Bundy... so there could be hidden (or at least less obvious) value there. If true, Gaus could be a low-perceived-value trade chip, and bring back much less than he's ultimately worth. 

Bundy's more of a known quantity, and what's known about him is probably better than what we know about Gausman right now. 

If you traded Bundy, you might get more value back on a relative basis, if that makes sense. 

Bundy has the injury concern. Gausman throws 97. 

1 hour ago, Bradysburns said:

People have been saying this for years. He can't and it's not going to happen. Trade him to a team that still thinks he can if you can get that kind of value for him.

5 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

People have been saying this for years. He can't and it's not going to happen. Trade him to a team that still thinks he can if you can get that kind of value for him.

I think that's the big question. If other people are assessing KG the way you are... think about that. In that case, we get squat back for him. If he winds up sucking, like you seem to believe, then we'll get squat for squat. If he winds up being a TOR guy, then you get squat for a TOR guy. It's kind of a lose-lose, unless you can find someone who sees that potential as well. 

But you're right and it's a fair point. People like me have been preaching patience with KG for years. Even I don't have much left in the "give KG a chance" tank. 

Bundy, Gausman, Machado, Britton, Schoop etc. etc. etc....

IMO no one should be off the table at this point. Matter of fact I have novel idea. Let's trade Davis and tell our trade partner we'll pick up 66% of his remaining salary. ?

10 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

I think that's the big question. If other people are assessing KG the way you are... think about that. In that case, we get squat back for him. If he winds up sucking, like you seem to believe, then we'll get squat for squat. If he winds up being a TOR guy, then you get squat for a TOR guy. It's kind of a lose-lose, unless you can find someone who sees that potential as well. 

But you're right and it's a fair point. People like me have been preaching patience with KG for years. Even I don't have much left in the "give KG a chance" tank. 

I think certain teams (the Rockies come to mind) would still be willing to pay for Gausman's upside. And I really don't think this is a Jake Arrieta 2.0 situation. I think Gausman is what he is. 

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think certain teams (the Rockies come to mind) would still be willing to pay for Gausman's upside. And I really don't think this is a Jake Arrieta 2.0 situation. I think Gausman is what he is. 

I really, really had the same feeling about Jake. I thought: this is what he is. He throws hard, four-seam fastballs that fly stick straight... and often wind up flying in the opposite direction, and into the flag court. 

That's the thing. There's no way of knowing for sure. And the risk is very high. I guess you could say: If he goes somewhere else and dominates, good for him. He wasn't going to do that here for whatever reason. 

21 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I really, really had the same feeling about Jake. I thought: this is what he is. He throws hard, four-seam fastballs that fly stick straight... and often wind up flying in the opposite direction, and into the flag court. 

That's the thing. There's no way of knowing for sure. And the risk is very high. I guess you could say: If he goes somewhere else and dominates, good for him. He wasn't going to do that here for whatever reason. 

For anyone interested, here was the OH reaction at the time:  

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

For anyone interested, here was the OH reaction at the time:  

WOW. 

I forgot how the vast majority of us were for the Arrieta trade.

I'd be curious to hear how people think KG's situation is different from Arrieta's before we traded him. In other words, how can you be confident that KG has peaked?

45 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

WOW. 

I forgot how the vast majority of us were for the Arrieta trade.

I'd be curious to hear how people think KG's situation is different from Arrieta's before we traded him. In other words, how can you be confident that KG has peaked?

Honestly, I thought Arrieta could be great, just not with us. That ship had sailed unfortunately. 

I'm not 100% convinced that Gausman is the same way, but I definitely see the argument. 

Archived