You have to admit, we picked a pretty good year to be horrible

Frobby

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Aglets said:

How does he compare to like Bryce Harper coming out of high school?

I don't remember many other consensus #1 picks that were seen as uber prospects.

Harper turned pro out of college.  ?

It really is too early to project someone at #1.  Witt certainly doesn't have Harper level hype.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It really is too early to project someone at #1.  Witt certainly doesn't have Harper level hype.

Harper earned his GED in 2009 and played one season in college before being drafted by Washington.

Looks like this will be a very similar path to what Witt does.........that's why I'm asking about the high school comparisons.  Obviously we can't look at his college career before it has happened.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Harper earned his GED in 2009 and played one season in college before being drafted by Washington.

Looks like this will be a very similar path to what Witt does.........that's why I'm asking about the high school comparisons.  Obviously we can't look at his college career before it has happened.

Arod and Griffey?  I wasn't tracking the draft that far back.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Those Las Vegas Juco schools don't count when you go as a high school Junior. 

7 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

What kind of numbers is Witt putting up in HS? Are they Manny-like??

"In his past two seasons, Witt has batted over .470 and recorded 18 home runs, 93 RBIs and scored 92 runs. He is currently committed to Oklahoma."

This is all I found in an mlb.com article.   Apparently A Rod hit .505 with 9 HR in his senior year of HS.   So they seem at least comparable maybe?

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

"In his past two seasons, Witt has batted over .470 and recorded 18 home runs, 93 RBIs and scored 92 runs. He is currently committed to Oklahoma."

This is all I found in an mlb.com article.   Apparently A Rod hit .505 with 9 HR in his senior year of HS.   So they seem at least comparable maybe?

I don't think comparing high school leagues is going to be a very fruitful endeavor.

To Frobby's original point:

The New York Yankees are on pace for 111 wins as of Wednesday. The archrival Boston Red Sox are on pace for 107. 

Even if they maintain that pace—an admittedly massive "if"—one of them will face a one-and-done wild-card playoff at best.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2781889-mlbs-flawed-playoff-seeding-rules-could-ruin-october?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

The New York Yankees are on pace for 111 wins as of Wednesday. The archrival Boston Red Sox are on pace for 107. 

Even if they maintain that pace—an admittedly massive "if"—one of them will face a one-and-done wild-card playoff at best.

If that's the case, then it means that the Orioles could literally win out for the rest of the year and not win the division. Depressing.

13 hours ago, McLovin said:

I read that article even before you linked it. Felt like I got click-baited by the title referring to a "flawed" rule. The author doesnt like the fact that, probably, a 100+ win team will face a single game elimination in the wild card. Personally I think it makes for great excitement. I don't think disliking a rule makes it a "flaw." 

1 hour ago, 99ct said:

I read that article even before you linked it. Felt like I got click-baited by the title referring to a "flawed" rule. The author doesnt like the fact that, probably, a 100+ win team will face a single game elimination in the wild card. Personally I think it makes for great excitement. I don't think disliking a rule makes it a "flaw." 

I love it.   Win the division or face exposure to the randomness of a one game playoff.    I prefer for the division title to be meaningful.  

Archived