O's to call up Ryan Meisinger and Paul Fry

wildcard

To help in the pen according to Roch.   I guess Ramirez and Yacabonis go back to Norfolk because they threw too many pitches yesterday to be used again in the near term.

40 man roster spots will need to be cleared.  Tillman to the 60 day DL is one.   My guess is Corban Joseph is the other.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

To help in the pen according to Roch.   I guess Ramirez and Yacabonis go back to Norfolk because they threw too many pitches yesterday to be used again in the near term.

40 man roster spots will need to be cleared.  Tillman to the 60 day DL is one.   My guess is Corban Joseph is the other.

Here's what I wrote about Meisinger in the offseason.

"Fastball/Slider reliever, high ¾ release and an arm stab that keeps the ball hidden adds deception. FB 92-94, arm-side run when he is sharp. Average SL, 82-84, throws it a lot, can command it at times.  He started the season looking good, he had above average command, run on the FB.  As the season progressed he started falling off more and more to the 1B side due to an unbalanced landing position, this seemed to kill the movement on his fastball and negatively affected his command.  He kept getting people out, but he stopped missing bats.  Middle relief profile."

And an update that I plan on including in my midseason prospect rankings which I'm currently working on and will be out somewhat soon.

Meisinger had a rough start to the season as he was plagued by the home run ball. He gave up 4 home runs in just 18 AA innings after only giving up 5 in his previous 160+ MiLB innings. Since being promoted to AAA though, Meisinger has been stellar and caught my attention once again. I managed to catch a couple of innings of his work and he has improved his follow-though and once again appears to be commanding the fastball. His slider has also taken a step, and looks like an above average pitch. It's sharper with a better finish than last year. Still a middle relief profile, but more likely to get there with some chance for a medium leverage role if he hits his command ceiling.

Fry may be useful too, he defends himself better against RHB than a Donnie Hart and can miss bats. He has three solid pitches (FB, SL, CH). His command can be spotty at times and that may be tested by MLB hitters (this applies to Meisinger too).

Just now, Enjoy Terror said:

I’m curious what happened to James Teague and why they used him so aggressively in Spring Training. He’s not been a thing since then.

He had command/control issues, then he retired from baseball, then he decided he wasn't retiring. The stuff is pretty good, but he's having trouble getting guys out in Frederick due to inability to consistently throw strikes.

24 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Guessing Bleier and Vielma to 60 day DL, Yacabonis and Ramirez optioned to Norfolk.

Bleier is already on the 60 day DL.   Vlelma is on the AAA DL and being paid a AAA salary.  To put him on the Orioles major league 60 day DL he has be be promoted and paid a major league salary.  I  doubt the O's will do that.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Bleier is already on the 60 day DL.   Vlelma is on the AAA DL and being paid a AAA salary.  To put him on the Orioles major league 60 day DL he has be be promoted and paid a major league salary.  I  doubt the O's will do that.

Hmm. Maybe they bring Tilly back and immediately release him. Not sure about the other 40 man spot.

These are all correct moves as we need to get an idea of who is AAAA fodder and who is a potential contributor in these rebuilding seasons ahead.  Our roster is just so gosh darn messy right now.  

As trades start happening, a few of these guys will be able to stay on the 25 man roster permanently, but it will be a bit of a shuttle until then, unless they cut the fodder like Wright, Peterson, Rasmus, maybe even Caleb.  I only keep Caleb if we see value in his leadership with the young catchers and pitchers, but at this point, I say move on.  You cut those 4 right now, that is plenty of space to work with until the trades begin. Can we cut Tillman, Sardinas, and Velmas while they are on the DL?  They aren't contributing in the future either, move on.  

Why is Chris Lee, Susac, and Corban on the 40 man roster still?  Susac and Corban aren't the future, and Lee will be 26 next year and has done everything he can to prevent an MLB promotion since 2016.  Messy messy roster.

Archived