Angelos Has Sold the O's to You. What's Your Plan?

Greg Pappas

6 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

Tell DD that the team is now his with an extension. If he doesn’t want Buck then fine. Brady can still advise on player performance/physical readiness but will not in anyway be involved in player decisions. 

DD will head a search for a latin america player scouting and development program that will be heavily funded. 

I will give DD a budget that will escalate each year after being reduced significantly the next two years to help fund the new scouting ventures. 

I would definitely not extend Duquette, Buck or Brady.  I want new.  

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jurczak said:

First things first, I obviously am raising ticket prices. This is a business not a hobby. And there’s definitely not more free tickets given away. I’d rather tarp it off like Oakland and decrease the supply to justify the new ticket price. 

Second, I clear out the warehouse. Better yet, let’s knock it down and get some new luxury box seating that can go in there. Bring in some corporate dollars. 

As far as front office personnel, everyone’s gone. Goodbye Dan, see you later Brady. And I bring in someone who will be loyal to me. Someone who values their job security more than winning or standing up for what I believe in. I also want someone with ties to the organization. That’s rights, Orioles fans, were holding a press conference for your new VP of baseball operations (I hold the title of President, after all I do own the team) ... David Segui!

After all that hard work, I think I’ve earned a vacation. I have David pack my bags and I jet off for the Caribbean for a few weeks of relaxation while managing the team remotely. I’m kept in the loop with daily briefings and I make all final decisions. Nothing gets done without my fingerprints on it. I want to make sure I get the credit when Baltimore returns to glory. If Jerry Jones can win 3 Super Bowls then I should be able to bring home the Word Series in no time. 

>Mangle the best ballpark in baseball, who has suites built into it. No way in hell will ANYONE pay to sit in the warehouse with some of the poor/distant views there. Less suites would drive said suite prices up if that's your angle.
>Make it easier for the Nats have to have lower ticket prices and for them to be the viable economic option for families dollars that you're directly competing with. Why would we go to a mangled OPACY versus going to see Nats park when it's cheaper to get in ticket wise? 

> Become Peter Angelos 2.0

Gotta remember that Jerry had Jimmy Johnson to help out with those 3 Super Bowls, and Jimmy did most of the drafting. Jimmy also had a metric ton of picks from trading Hershel Walker, something that the O's can't do. Jerry jones since Jimmy left, 3 playoff wins since 1995. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not picking on you, this goes for I think all of us.

Who is the best GM you could find?  I don't know.  I'm not sure where to start looking.  Just hire away an assistant GM from a successful team and hope for the best?

None of us know...but I would want someone who has not been a GM before...Kim Ng who would be a transformational selection or a hungry, smart assistant like Matt Klentak or Mike Elias with Houston

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/hou/team/exec_bios/elias_mike.html

What i would do is essentially become the East coast version of the St. Louis cardinals. Invest heavily into scouting, our minor leagues, the international market and all that good stuff that everyone has proposed. Get rid of Davis, Buck, etc. Keep Raj and our head of player development and tell them really to do as they please with a ton of money. One thing I'd be interested heavily in would be multiple sources of income. Hire a GM whose on board with being analytical. Basically everything you ever read here.

I'd buy all the minor league affiliates we have now while buying only 25-50% of the Ironbirds. I'd also buy the stadium plus the parking lots around the stadiums including the spring training site at Ed smith Stadium, ensuring $ for the cities in a lump sum and me with revenue from every team. Also ensures me a consistent pipeline that's close to home (anyone remember Ottawa). Another thing I'd do is end the MASN dispute and set everything in stone with the Nats, also allowing for inmarket streaming and charge advertisers there as well. One last thing i'd do is create something akin to the ballpark village in St. Louis with the Ravens. I'd go 50-50 with them on making an entertainment district around where the new Hammerjacks is being built. 

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/ballpark/ballpark_village/phase2/

Would also go 50-50 on creating something like mission rock with the ravens (proposed in phase two of the ballpark village, but just incase it falls through). 

https://www.mlb.com/giants/ballpark/mission-rock

Residential areas near downtown would make us some nice money. Finally, I'd buy the ballpark from the city and encourage the Ravens to buy out the parking lots with me, and we each split the parking revenue down the middle during the year. Ravens would make money during the summer, spring and fall and we'd make money during the winter. I'd also lobby for tailgating. 

This is how I'd make the Orioles GREAT AGAIN. It would be a Yuge undertaking, but in the long run we'd make tons of money and be a great team. 

Keep the relationship with Navy.

Plant tomato plants in the bullpen area again in the shape of "F Cito."

Tell Jon MIller that the organization loves him.

I'd keep Brady in some capacity but below the GM, and lure Cal in to work as Vice President of the Oriole Way.

Hire Jason Mcleod.  Let him hire the manager. Give him a massive check to hire the best international scouts he can find and a budget for facilities and signing.

Just win baby.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

I would definitely not extend Duquette, Buck or Brady.  I want new.  

Totally understandable. I personally believe DD has been forced to do some of the stupid hings he has done as a compromise given the insane limitations. Remove the shackles and I think you see more shrewd moves. 

4 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Shocking.  No one saw this coming.  That's right, you've just bought the Orioles from the Angelos family.  Now, share with us your ideas (with as much detail as you can muster) on what you'd do as the new owner.  Thanks in advance to all that participate.

I'd sell them immediately as no one I know or know of can run a billion dollar business to my knowledge. Maybe Frobby. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I'd sell them immediately as no one I know or know of can run a billion dollar business to my knowledge. Maybe Frobby. 

But can you sell a billion dollar business effectively? That might be almost as challenging.

19 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Keep the relationship with Navy.

Plant tomato plants in the bullpen area again in the shape of "F Cito."

Tell Jon MIller that the organization loves him.

I'd keep Brady in some capacity but below the GM, and lure Cal in to work as Vice President of the Oriole Way.

Hire Jason Mcleod.  Let him hire the manager. Give him a massive check to hire the best international scouts he can find and a budget for facilities and signing.

Just win baby.

Jon doesn't like Baltimore. Don;t know that he ever did. 

Some great posts in here.  In short, I'd fire everyone, hire a young analytics/advanced metrics obsessed GM.  Let him hire his manager.  Make sure the Oriole Way is implemented somehow, some way.  Everyone from the GM to the infield instructor in rookie ball has to be on the same page.

Hire away the best scouts from their current teams by giving them a good raise.  Increase the size of the scouting department overall.  Create a massive presence in the DR.  Horde young talent as best as I possibly can.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Some great posts in here.  In short, I'd fire everyone, hire a young analytics/advanced metrics obsessed GM.  Let him hire his manager.  Make sure the Oriole Way is implemented somehow, some way.  Everyone from the GM to the infield instructor in rookie ball has to be on the same page.

Hire away the best scouts from their current teams by giving them a good raise.  Increase the size of the scouting department overall.  Create a massive presence in the DR.  Horde young talent as best as I possibly can.  

This would be a great idea, but teams have tried to grade scouts for a while now and no one has really got it figured out, so identifying the top scouts may be difficult. 

Archived