New appreciation for Bordick

Barnaby Graves

23 minutes ago, Flacco Machado said:

I think if he had repeated his year last year, he'd be right there with Altuve.

But, this year has totally squashed that.

Even if he repeated last year he isnt in the same category as Altuve.  Alive had 8.3 WAR last season.   Schoop has had 9.1 WAR in his career.   Look at Altuve stats.   No comparison.   

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Can someone explain to me what the big deal is about Fanfest? Even if missing it is unprofessional, how does that translate to a guy hitting .200?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-schoop-20180129-story.html

It's over and done with now. And yes, it shouldn't affect his performance on the field, but it set his season off to a bad start with the drama of it at the time. And Buck, was none to pleased, with the advice that Schoop's agent gave him. Almost, as if it was a "mini holdout." It made no sense then and it still doesn't.

34 minutes ago, Flacco Machado said:

I think if he had repeated his year last year, he'd be right there with Altuve.

But, this year has totally squashed that.

In Schoop’s best year he was half as valuable as Altuve. He was also behind Jose Ramirez, Brian Dozier, and Daniel Murphy. Coming into 2018 I probably would have taken at least 6 guys ahead of him for the year. 

13 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

In Schoop’s best year he was half as valuable as Altuve. He was also behind Jose Ramirez, Brian Dozier, and Daniel Murphy. Coming into 2018 I probably would have taken at least 6 guys ahead of him for the year. 

Wow, who? If Ramirez, Dozier, and Murphy are three.

Schoop, had a better year in '17, than LeMahieu, Pedroia, Cano, and Kinsler. 

18 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

On some people's list, he would round out the top five.  Most lists I saw had him anywhere from 6-9, and it fully depends on how people value Schoop's breakout year versus the history of the other guys like Cano and Pedrioia.  With another good year, could he have moved up to third?  I think so, but Jose Ramirez was an MVP candidate last year and isn't going anywhere.  Those guys are talked about as top talents in the American League, and I don't think Schoop is that level. 

9 hours ago, Flacco Machado said:

Wow, who? If Ramirez, Dozier, and Murphy are three.

Schoop, had a better year in '17, than LeMahieu, Pedroia, Cano, and Kinsler. 

Schoop's underlying batted ball data also suggested he was a bit fortunate in 2017 and was due for some regression. Granted, I would have predicted nothing close to being as bad as he has been this year, obviously. If I were putting odds on which 2nd basemen would be better than him coming into 2018 without the gift of hindsight I probably would have put good odds on Altuve, Ramirez, Dozier, Murphy, Cano, Lowrie, and maybe even Baez. I would have had Schoop to be likely in the Whit Merrifield, Cesar Hernandez, Dee Gordon tier.

Obviously Ramirez is now mostly playing 3rd, Dozier has been a disaster, Murphy has been hurt most of the year, and Cano got suspended. So I would have been wrong about damn near everyone.

10 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Also, I think Adam Jones at this point is a detriment for School.  On Tuesday, I was sitting with a couple friends in the club level, and one of them pointed out that, when Jones and Schoop were warming up between the lineup announcements and taking the field, Jones was wearing a catcher's mitt.  Instead of doing a lot of longer-tosses that I see from most players on the away side and from Machado, Jones had Schoop throwing him curve balls and half the time, Jones was crouched as a catcher.  Not very impressed from that.  

Eh - sounds like a way to stay loose and have some fun during the season to me.  I'm frustrated by Jones' inability to play CF anymore, but I've never questioned his work ethic or his leadership.

13 hours ago, weams said:

Manny did it twice. 

Well both times it was reported that Manny at least had a reason.  It may not have been what we consider a great reason, but it was something.  Schoop basically had no reason, other than negotiating tactics I guess.

I've always been of the opinion that it was a big deal that he bailed on FanFest, and I really don't have much interest in the event outside of taking my kids.  I certainly don't think it's the reason why he's struggling, but perhaps it did reveal something about his mindset or character that we're seeing play out here.  

Or maybe there's no real explanation and he's just having a bad season.

12 hours ago, Flacco Machado said:

Who's on the next train out of Baltimore, though? Buck or Jonathan?

We know Manny is gone.

I'm not so quick to give up on Schoop. In the past, even on winning teams, Schoop seemed to disappear or lose focus in blow out games. I wonder with all the losing, the fact that Manny will be traded at some point, and the fact that he might not be a Buck guy and no one knows what's going on with Buck or Dan or anyone's situation, may have sucked away the fun for him.

Schoop probably needs a fresh start, and that will come here in Baltimore with a new regime or if he's traded. I would not bet against a rebound from him in the right situation and with the right mentorship.

I love the idea of sending Schoop to Norfolk. He needs to be humbled. His approach stinks this year after making marginal improvements each season since his rookie year.

Not going to hurt his trade value. He has none at this moment. 

For the record, Schoop did apologize about the FanFest thing, or at least it sounded like he understood the fan disappointment:

Schoop pledged he will do everything he can to make amends with Orioles fans, saying he would make greater effort to sign autographs for fans before games and answer more autograph requests that come his way through the team.

“Yeah, of course [I feel bad] for the fans,” Schoop said. “That’s why I’m going to sign [autographs] for them. … Every fan, I’m going to sign for them and give them something back. I’m glad it’s over and I can focus on baseball now, so I can focus on being out there and helping the team win.”

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

For the record, Schoop did apologize about the FanFest thing, or at least it sounded like he understood the fan disappointment:

When he is out of baseball in a couple of years he will be thinking about how much he wishes he was at Fanfest.  He won't be invited back as an alumni player. 

18 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Tony have you heard Schoop came into camp not in the best shape? Two people I know said that is what happened. Dont really care if he shows up to Fanfest ;,but not in the best shspe is worse 

Schoop hit like 6 home runs in spring training.    

Archived