Orioles Sixers analogy

Deadwood Fan

5 minutes ago, Deadwood Fan said:

Does MLB have the power to intervene with the Orioles like the NBA did with the Sixers with Jerry Colangelo? 

I'm not sure what you mean?

MLB isn't going to get involved unless things get as bad as they were with the Dodger's former ownership.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The O's aren't tanking. 

The White Sox, the Tigers, the Marlins, those teams are tanking.

The O's, bless their hearts, are trying to win.

But those teams have a better record than the O's. If we are trying to win and failing this miserably...That's one definition of tanking. 

Just now, Natty said:

But those teams have a better record than the O's. If we are trying to win and failing this miserably...That's one definition of tanking. 

Sure, tanking does have multiple definitions.  But why should MLB get involved because a team tried to be good but was bad at it?  That and the OP was comparing the Orioles with the Sixers, who were unabashedly not attempting to be competitive.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We know they won't say anything after three.

Astros were highly profitable during those seasons. I think they would care more about someone not being able to pay their bills than losing a bunch of games.  

Trying to legitimately upgrade your weakest area during the offseason doesn't scream a team is trying to tank to me.  If this is team is tanking, they're a sorry bunch of tankers because they've been in a lot of games, even recently.

"Tanking" implies intent.  Losing short term to accomplish a long term improvement.  Sadly, that doesn't fit the Orioles.  They're just incompetent/dysfunctional.  The Astros tanked.  The Cubs tanked.  The O's aren't tanking, at least not yet.  Maybe in if they trade as many vets as possible and bring up a bunch of the prospects we all know and have discussed.  Then you could say that they're tanking.

Archived