Buck praises Davis for error allowing 2 runs to score

amdcpus

It was a ball off the end of the bat. It had a funny spin to it. Last second, I had a good look, it dipped down. Tribute to Chris, he came back and made a real nice play on another tough ball. Balls up here, when you’re looking at defenders, Manny and Jon talked about it when they first came up, about balls having more topspin, there’s a lot more. That’s a play that Chris normally makes, but you can see how it would happen. What really cost us was not scoring any runs.”

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

It was a ball off the end of the bat. It had a funny spin to it. Last second, I had a good look, it dipped down. Tribute to Chris, he came back and made a real nice play on another tough ball. Balls up here, when you’re looking at defenders, Manny and Jon talked about it when they first came up, about balls having more topspin, there’s a lot more. That’s a play that Chris normally makes, but you can see how it would happen. What really cost us was not scoring any runs.”

Buck making excuses for veteran screw ups? Yeah, shocking.

2 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

No, Buck what cost us right tnere was 2 runs because he didn’t catch the ball. Man, Buck’s schtick has just worn completely thin.  His constant rationalizing and  apologizing for players worked ok when they were winning games and only having to apologize occasionally, but now it is godawful baseball, bereft of talent or fundamentals EVERY game, so Buck’s style of always making excuses every single game makes him look ridiculous now. 

Next week future Buck: "Yeah he struck out 4 times today, but did you see that bat speed.  I'll tell you what, those opposing infielders out there really appreciated the breeze from his whiffs in this 100+ heat.  It takes a special type of player to generate that type of wind velocity without making contact with a baseball.  I know our guys appreciate it; they've all been able to keep their BGE bills way down through this scorching summer."

1 hour ago, amdcpus said:

That's Exhibit A if you want to understand how the Orioles got here.

59 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

59 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Imagine if Buck had been managing the Red Sox for the Buckner play. There would be riots in the streets if he said, "You can see how it could happen."

Imagine if the one game playoff fiasco had happened with the Red Sox or the Yankees.  He would have been fired the very next day.  

Buck certainly seems to very rarely criticize his players in public.  And I'm sure that's probably why the players seem to usually like him.  It also makes the few times he does openly criticize players (Mountcastle or recently Tillman) more notable.

If Chris Davis went 0-5 with 5 K's and an error and Buck was asked about it in post-game I would expect him to point out some other play that he made in the game that was 'super important' or whatever to try and build him up.

It's just the way he is, and the way he always will be.  Get ticked off about it if you choose.

Archived