Who’s your 2018 back-up team?

Frobby

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't necessarily have a backup team that I'm pulling for.  The Orioles terrible start of the season has actually effected my entire outlook.  I am one who flips over to the MLB Network as soon as the Orioles game ends, but this year, the Orioles complete failure has impacted my love of the sport, and I have been actively seeking out other things to watch instead of baseball.

In the past week or two though, I have been watching more of the Nats, and whatever National game is on either ESPN, MLB, or Fox channels.  I've decided I will not let the Baltimore Orioles failure ruin my love for the game of baseball.  I'm back in Baby!

So with all that said, yeah, it would be cool to see the Braves come out of nowhere and take the NL East, and see Nick win one after all those lean years here.  

30 minutes ago, atomic said:

I was watching the Capitals win the cup.  Then since the World Cup has started have been watching for that.  Rooting for the French team.  Don't care for another baseball team.  Baseball really isn't exciting enough to watch some random team play.  

+1 except Belgium. I try not to get attached to players any more, because they come and go and once they are gone they are gone. I couldn't care less how Markakis does with the Braves.

I hadn't followed hockey in years but jumped on the bandwagon hard for the Caps.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

+1 except Belgium. I try not to get attached to players any more, because they come and go and once they are gone they are gone. I couldn't care less how Markakis does with the Braves.

I hadn't followed hockey in years but jumped on the bandwagon hard for the Caps.

That Belgium / Japan game was very exciting.  The Brazil/ Belgium game should be good today. I will be rooting for Belgium in that game.  

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Harper just seems like a douche

He is.  I used to work for a showcase company, and he did a showcase down in Tampa.  They were filming player introduction before the event; "My name is so-and-so from such-and-such high school in said-place."  When they got up to Harper, 15-16 years old at the time (but already a big name in the baseball world) he simply said "You know who I am."  

I told my buddy at that time, he might be a great player one day, but I put all my money on him never winning a WS, in a Barry Bonds-esque way.

White Sox for me.  I live in Chicago and I love what they've done with their rebuild and am obviously insanely jealous of it.  They're going to be an exciting team as soon as next season so I decided to get on the bandwagon early.  Also, Yolmer Sanchez is pretty great to watch.  High energy, fun loving guy and he can play ball.

And I've been the stadium a few times.  Very affordable and a nice park.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing the Astros repeat. They're an entertaining team top to bottom and I have many friends from Houston.

Also, whatever team Adam Jones winds up on would be an automatic favorite of mine.

As I've said before, I want to like the Braves but the Tomahawk Chop is just awful and the deeper the Braves go the more I have to hear it.

Top priority of course is Anyone But the Yankees or Red Sox.

17 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

He is.  I used to work for a showcase company, and he did a showcase down in Tampa.  They were filming player introduction before the event; "My name is so-and-so from such-and-such high school in said-place."  When they got up to Harper, 15-16 years old at the time (but already a big name in the baseball world) he simply said "You know who I am."  

I told my buddy at that time, he might be a great player one day, but I put all my money on him never winning a WS, in a Barry Bonds-esque way.

Totally not surprised by this anecdote.

45 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I am not sure what that is supposed to mean.  Barry Bonds played in one World Series and had a 1.994 OPS.  I am not sure that you could do better than that.  

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

This is exactly my take on the Nats.  I was in DC area (for 30 years) when the two former iterations of teams were there and never got attached.  Epstein, Ted Williams, Brinkmann, Frank Howard, etc. were interesting but I never fell in love like with the O's.  I am rooting more for the Braves now with all of their studs.  I loved the series we played them this year.  That is the kind of young talent that's fun to watch (also the Phils to a second degree).

Woe are the O's!  Tear it down and rebuild boldly - but my expectations are low as usual.  Ten years ago I never we would have believed we could have "accomplished" as much as we did under Buck, but his time has passed unfortunately.

I'm in OH now for the summer/fall so maybe the young and "rebuilding" Redlegs will "throw me a bone"?

I was the opposite, the senators was my team, and boy did i love them, even down to the backup catcher Jim French and of course, Paul Casanova was their 1st string. Dick Bosman might have been more well known, if he had pitched for a team like the Orioles. They had a great fireman in Darrel Knowles and the young hot shot Aurilo at 3rd.

Archived