TT: Orioles get Haul for Machado

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Good stuff.  Have you thought about where these guys might slot in among our top 10-20 prospects?  I would think that Diaz is going to be among the top 2 or 3 if not the top spot, with Kremer solidly in the top 10, and both Bannon and Pop getting top 10 consideration.  

Does this trade bring our system solidly into the top half of MLB teams?

I haven't really looked at yet and I'm sure @Luke-OH will have his thoughts as well. Diaz will definitely be in the top five without looking too hard. Mountcastle, Hays, Akin, Rodriguez, Hall are in the mix as well. Kremer should be in the top ten if he can keep up the good performance at AA and Pop might be the under the radar gem. If he really is throwing mid-high 90s with heavy sink than that's right-handed Britton stuff.

Honestly, 4 out of the 5 prospects acquired are probably in the top 15 which might say something about our system. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Tony is Nunez coming up to replace Manny?  If no word yet do you think its the move? Hes had 3 stints in the majors with 60 ABs total, So he needs a shot IMO.

I would not be surprised if they gave him a look at 3B especially since they optioned Valera. I will say the few games I've caught him in AAA in video I was not impressed with his defensive ability though. Still, might as well give him an extended look to see if he's a piece.

30 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

With Rylon Bannon coming over, do you see Jomar Reyes getting moved/the boot or would he move to Bowie and Mountcastle moves up to see what he can do in Norfolk?

Not sure why Reyes keeps getting mentioned.  The dude can not hit.  He's not a prospect.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Tony, do you think Mountcastle can hack it in LF?  Is there enough speed there to be an average defender?  

Yeah, he's a fairly athletic guy overall. whether he can track flyballs will be the first issue and how his arm will play is the second. Saying that, if Mancini can play LF in the big leagues, I can't imagine Mountcastle being worse. I would personally start the transition now.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I would not be surprised if they gave him a look at 3B especially since they optioned Valera. I will say the few games I've caught him in AAA in video I was not impressed with his defensive ability though. Still, might as well give him an extended look to see if he's a piece.

Nunez or Dosch, with Beckham FINALLY moving back to SS, right?

1 minute ago, Horsepower said:

So,,,,do you think we valued Diaz over Verdugo or was LA just unwilling to let him go?

I really don't know, but I would imagine that Verdugo is thought of more highly than Diaz overall. More power potential in Verdugo's bat and could end up being a top 20 overall prospect in baseball.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I really don't know, but I would imagine that Verdugo is thought of more highly than Diaz overall. More power potential in Verdugo's bat and could end up being a top 20 overall prospect in baseball.

I liked Verdugo better as he's lefthanded at Camden. They look pretty comparable to me. My concern would be that Diaz seems to make a ton of errors from what I heard

4 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

Nunez or Dosch, with Beckham FINALLY moving back to SS, right?

Only @Legend_Of_Joey and Drew Dosch's mom think he'll be an option at third base for the Orioles this year. ;)

My guess is that Nunez will get a look though he plays third base like he's in the Army's in the late 80s, it's not just a job, it's an adventure!

I will say this, the Orioles could play Valencia everyday at 3B to try and spotlight him a bit. I think that's why he's playing some RF as well as they try to show off his "versatility". At the end of the day, the Orioles may be able to get a B- prospect for Valencia from a team needing a masher against left-handed pitching.

8 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Not sure why Reyes keeps getting mentioned.  The dude can not hit.  He's not a prospect.

I only brought him up because he is the third baseman at Frederick, the spot it seemed like Bannon would be going to until this news came out.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Only @Legend_Of_Joey and Drew Dosch's mom think he'll be an option at third base for the Orioles this year. ;)

My guess is that Nunez will get a look though he plays third base like he's in the Army's in the late 80s, it's not just a job, it's an adventure!

But...But...He is special!!!!

I just think he should get a look. His defense isn't that good, but it seems to favor a bit more than Nunez. Plus, if they were willing to put Pedro "The Hammer" Alvarez there....

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I liked Verdugo better as he's lefthanded at Camden. They look pretty comparable to me. My concern would be that Diaz seems to make a ton of errors from what I heard

If I have two options that are fairly equal and one os left-handed, i'm taking the left-handed outfielder. I just don't think the Dodgers wanted to part with Verdugo.

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He's mostly playing CF right now isn't he?  Maybe with less ground to cover he makes less errors

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If I have two options that are fairly equal and one os left-handed, i'm taking the left-handed outfielder. I just don't think the Dodgers wanted to part with Verdugo.

I used to agree.   But I wonder nowadays if lefties lose a bit of value compared to righties because of the extreme shifts in the majors?

Archived