Big time talk from Dan

eddie83

2 hours ago, NashLumber said:

Haven’t gotten all the way through these posts, in my fantasy, I wish they had packaged Brady in the Manny deal somehow, a little sweetener to “condition” the Dodger players. No charge. Seems like an LA guy anyway. 

Too late now, but Brady graduated from UC Irvine.  He is most definitely is a LA guy. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Paraphrasing here DD saying they will build up their International system. Other stuff as well. Saying they are rebuilding how they operate basically.  

They did not trade their international slot money. 

It's all words that we needed to hear.  Despite a lot of the crap he's received, Dan Duquette knows how to build a ball club, even one without a lot of resources.  He helped make the Montreal Expos relevant, traded for Pedro Martinez twice, got the Red Sox back to the playoffs and helped lay the foundation for the team that finally broke the curse.  The man knows how to build a team, when given the freedom and resources to do it.  Not all of his moves worked, nobody's does, but the man isn't and never has been inept at making baseball decisions.

The challenge is we've heard statements like this before and they've not come to fruition.  It got mentioned earlier the comment about improving the team OBP and how that's never happened.  Now whether that was just GM speak, or the intention but ownership never provided the resources to make it happen, who knows.  Regardless, it hasn't happened and that can't get overlooked.  As @Tony-OH always reminds us, actions speak louder than words.  We've heard the words so now lets see what action will come.

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

As I have said all along, when Dan Duquette had the influence to make the decisions, this organziation was one of the best. If the Angelos sons have chosen Dan to make the final decisions once again, I'm all for it, but they need to make sure that Brady and Buck are not part of the decision making, but perhaps part of Dan's team if he wants their imput. Dan should have the final say and let him do what he does best.

If this organization really is going to invest in analytics and most importantly international scouting with Dan at the helm, then I feel 1000 times better about the future of the organization.

BTW, it should be Dan's decision on whether he wants to retain Buck. While Buck is a good field manager, it should be Dan's decision to ultimately decide if he's his manager during this rebuild.

Additionally, Brady's role needs to be defined and there should be no end around of competing decision makers.

Until that happens there will always be a shadow.

Perhaps Dan Duquette actually won this Game of thrones afterall? If so, what a comeback! 

I've said this before but the big difference between DD and Buck or Brady is while Buck and Brady are smart guys, it seems like they both see themselves as a hammer and every part of running a baseball team as a nail. They think the best person for each and every decision. I don't get that from DD, I think he knows his limitations are realizes running anything of the scale of a baseball team requires surrounding yourself with smart people and delegating responsibilities and trusting your employees. Hopefully he's allowed to do that. 

7 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

How many times has DD said they were going to improve OBP?

I think everything hinges on whether we really execute this, and actually remove the obstacles that have held this team back for so long.  Will our baseball people finally be allowed to do their jobs, full force, without being held back by the disjointed politics at the top of the hierarchy?  Here's hoping that it's true.

If this horrible season was the thing that finally snapped us out of our fingers-in-our-ears-and-eyes-closed approach regarding the path to success... then it might be one of the most important seasons in our history, despite us struggling to win 50 games.

Archived