The Orioles Should Trade Gausman at the Deadline

Luke-OH

1 hour ago, LC_O's_87 said:

I am not hoping for a magical run, I'm suggesting that Kevin Gausman will be a viable asset in 2021 and worth keeping around. 

I am suggesting that if you think they are going to draft, develop or otherwise acquire 5 MLB Quality Starting Pitchers in 2021 who will be better than Kevin Gausman you are wrong.

I am on board with trading pretty much every single person on their 25 man roster except guys  with <2 years of service time.  But I'd prefer they keep Gausman and Bundy.  This organization's track record of developing effective starting pitching doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, and it seems a bit foolish to dump these two.

If they get a Cole Hamels or Sonny Gray return for those guys, ok sure do it.  But I just don't see that happening.   Short of those types of offers, keep em.

I don’t think we could draft 5 by 2021. That’s why we should trade Gausman, Bundy, Givens, or anyone that won’t be here for 2021 and beyond for as many SP lotto tickets possible. 

I say go full on 76ers.  Get 3 straight top 3 picks.  We’re already the worst team in baseball, how much worse can it get? We’re not even going to have to try to be terrible. So we should just go full on tank. I don’t even know any players in AAA. AA or lower.  

I’d trade Gausman this deadline. Bundy in the offseason. Givens, O’day, Bleier next trade deadline. Hopefully Cashner and Cobb too. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should trade anyone in Baltimore that can bring back good MiLB talent.  There are players nobody would want, of course, but I'd list the others like:

The get-whatever-you-can candidates: Britton, Jones, Brach, Valencia, Trumbo, Beckham, Mancini, Cashner, Hart, Wright

The for-the-right-price guys: Gausman, Bundy, Schoop, Givens

Is there really anyone that they shouldn't be considering getting return on at this point.  I'm just happy that something other than a player's best year seems to be driving the decision about whether to consider them for trading.  After all, the best year analysis is what saddled us with Davis.  Dump everyone with value for the best value you can get.  Problem is with a fire sale, the seller usually gets hosed... or lesser value than they would have gotten if they had been smart about trading in the first place.  When Manny made it clear he was going into FA two years ago, the value he had then was far greater then than now.  The same idea should drive all trade considerations NOW.

8 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Bundy would bring back more than Gausman and it’s not close, imo. 

That said, agree that we should trade Gausman if we can get 3 top 100 prospects. I also believe Gausman has much more than he has shown here. Same as I believed with Jake.

I love Bundy as a player, he was the first guy who was my favorite guy in the entire draft that they actually got. I saw him in Frederick in 2012 when he was sitting in the upper 90s with a hammer curve and a cutter rather than the current slider (it is a different pitch IMO). He's not that guy anymore and I doubt he'll ever be close to that. He's a good pitcher, and he could get better, but shoulders are what kill careers and Bundy's shoulder is a mess, calcification is not good, if I was another team, I'd be scared to acquire him especially for a big prospect haul.

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I love Bundy as a player, he was the first guy who was my favorite guy in the entire draft that they actually got. I saw him in Frederick in 2012 when he was sitting in the upper 90s with a hammer curve and a cutter rather than the current slider (it is a different pitch IMO). He's not that guy anymore and I doubt he'll ever be close to that. He's a good pitcher, and he could get better, but shoulders are what kill careers and Bundy's shoulder is a mess, calcification is not good, if I was another team, I'd be scared to acquire him especially for a big prospect haul.

ScOtt and I loved the guy we saw in Frederick. I've never seen that guy as an Oriole, other than in spring training in Fort Myers one year. 

6 hours ago, Ripken said:

They should trade anyone in Baltimore that can bring back good MiLB talent.  There are players nobody would want, of course, but I'd list the others like:

The get-whatever-you-can candidates: Britton, Jones, Brach, Valencia, Trumbo, Beckham, Mancini, Cashner, Hart, Wright

The for-the-right-price guys: Gausman, Bundy, Schoop, Givens

I would move Beckham over to the wait a year list. Same with Mancini. Mancini should even out once he can play a position he is more comfortable in and Beckham is coming off an injury and I think there is some talent there that hasn’t been realized. Question is will he ever, I don’t know but I think he needs to finish out the year and settle in next year before we really see who he is. 

Last year was the only year he got anything somewhat consistent play and he put up .300 #’s. I think if you give him the rest of this year and a full year next year you will see a solid player. If he is of value at the deadline or next winter move him then but not now. I think he could be a Brandon Crawford like player, with better average and not gg defense but acceptable. 

6 hours ago, sevastras said:

I would move Beckham over to the wait a year list. Same with Mancini. Mancini should even out once he can play a position he is more comfortable in and Beckham is coming off an injury and I think there is some talent there that hasn’t been realized. Question is will he ever, I don’t know but I think he needs to finish out the year and settle in next year before we really see who he is. 

Last year was the only year he got anything somewhat consistent play and he put up .300 #’s. I think if you give him the rest of this year and a full year next year you will see a solid player. If he is of value at the deadline or next winter move him then but not now. I think he could be a Brandon Crawford like player, with better average and not gg defense but acceptable. 

Beckham is a non tender candidate in the offseason. We might keep him around because we gave up a good prospect(now top 20 for TB).  Plus Beckham might be the type of guy that will put up big numbers on a bad team if we just hand him SS. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Beckham is a non tender candidate in the offseason. We might keep him around because we gave up a good prospect(now top 20 for TB).  Plus Beckham might be the type of guy that will put up big numbers on a bad team if we just hand him SS. 

image.thumb.png.e4feadca5b492c17c0fda2c999e7636e.png

He's 20 next month. So there is time.

15 hours ago, weams said:

Does Gausman bring back a Shelby Miller return?

Arizona could even be the destination again, and because Shelby Miller is struggling to hold down their last rotation spot (no surprise as they rushed his TJ return timeline after Walker went down).

16 hours ago, Punchandjudy said:

I don't know if they "should" trade him unless they get something viable in return.  They may want to look at extending him too.  They need to field a competitive team the next couple of years even if they still are the worst team in the East.  I don't expect them to compete for a title, but 70 wins should at least be a bench mark to shoot for even during the next few years which could be brutal.  They should only trade the guy, if it makes sense and they can get something in return for him. 

If we’re going to be bad, I’d just as soon be bad enough to garner a couple of no. 1-3 draft picks.    As I’ve documented, the draft is a bit of a crapshoot even at that level, but the odds of getting high impact talent are much better.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If we’re going to be bad, I’d just as soon be bad enough to garner a couple of no. 1-3 draft picks.    As I’ve documented, the draft is a bit of a crapshoot even at that level, but the odds of getting high impact talent are much better.

the draft is enough of a crapshoot that you don't tank just to get a draft pick.  If memory serves, Manny was drafted 4th right?  Trout was drafted in the 20's somewhere...you can find transformative talent in many places especially in the first round.   The problem I have with the thread is the word "should."  The O's should trade anyone for the right deal.  Everything is for sale for the right price. 

Archived