Schoop: Extend or Trade

Dipper9

What should we do with Schoop?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Schoop?

• Extend him.
    • Trade him.
    • Wait until next year's deadline when his value may be higher.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

We know what he is capable of.  If his performance this season lowers his asking price, then extend him.  If we can't get a reasonable price on the extension, try to line up a trade during a time he's performing well.  It really depends on what he's willing to sign for.

I'd think about extending him if his defense were better. But it's not.

28 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

If we are 5 or more years away from contending there is no point in keeping Diaz, he will be 27 and will be facing free agency by the time we contend again.

I’m estimating 5 cause of our history of refusing to participate in the international market and I’m not a big believer in the prospects currently in our farm system (pre-Manny trade).

If Duquette isn’t just blowing smoke and we really start to invest in international scouting than that would speed up the process.

Other than Bundy, Gausman, Schoop, and the Bullpen (maybe Mancini, maybe Sisco) the roster has holes everywhere. Signing Free Agents has not been kind to us and we have the Davis albatross for 4 more years. So I’m looking at the draft and trading off a few MLB vets as being our only means of rebuilding until proven otherwise.

Five years seems conservative considering it took 14 years the last time 

Long time reader but first time poster.  Including reading all 300+ of the Manny Trade Expectations thread.

I've been thinking about Schoop situation for a bit and have gone back in forth on signing vs trading.  Although Schoop has preformed better lately, I expect we would be selling low right now.  We can trade in off-season but then we would be in similar situation we were in with Manny, who wants to trade a haul for a 1 year rental?  Schoop may not be as adamant as Manny in becoming free agent and may be open to resigning before his contract is up. witch could help us. 

With our young outfield depth in the minors, I think it is unlikely that Adam Jones returns in 2019.   And with the way Davis is playing, I hope to see him in more of a DH role in near future and he obviously isn't a leader in the clubhouse. 

That said, Schoop would be the only non-pitcher veteran leader in the batting lineup and defensively.  If we can sign him to a reasonable 5-6yr deal and let him provide some veteran leadership to all the your guys hitting the majors in next few years, we should strongly consider sign him (especially if he is open to 3B).  If that doesn't seem like the right role for him, then trade him.  

17 minutes ago, utvolzac said:

I’m estimating 5 cause of our history of refusing to participate in the international market and I’m not a big believer in the prospects currently in our farm system (pre-Manny trade).

If Duquette isn’t just blowing smoke and we really start to invest in international scouting than that would speed up the process.

Other than Bundy, Gausman, Schoop, and the Bullpen (maybe Mancini, maybe Sisco) the roster has holes everywhere. Signing Free Agents has not been kind to us and we have the Davis albatross for 4 more years. So I’m looking at the draft and trading off a few MLB vets as being our only means of rebuilding until proven otherwise.

Five years seems conservative considering it took 14 years the last time 

Then we should only be trading for teenagers. What is the sense of getting a 22 year old about to break into MLB, when we will have to move him before we are ready to contend again?

Personally, I think we should be ready to contend for a WC by 2020. 

Extend him and move him to third....Bannon projects better at second anyway. Could this line-up compete for a WC in 2020?

C- Sisco

1b - Mancini

2b - Bannon

SS- Witt

3B - Schoop

LF - Hays

CF - Mullins

RF - Diaz

DH Stewart

12 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

While your reasoning may prove to be true, I would counter with your "holes" theory that the OF seems to have a number of projected players especially if you add Mountcastle to the obvious Diaz, Mullins and Hays (if he ever returns to health).  If Mancini returns to form, there aren't that many holes remaining to fill in the 5 year timeframe you speak of here.  We currently have Beckham and by all accounts, may be selecting the top SS prospect next season.  

I don't understand your first point about international signings when the brass just announced they would be aggressive in this realm.  I don't think you're being fair or honest there - maybe you're not aware.

We'll see - I think this might be quicker than you think.

That’s a lot of If’s. Other than Manny, our developmental system doesn’t have a great track record of guys reaching their potential 

I’ll believe it when I see it regarding international signings. Talk is cheap. I’m still waiting for that OBP priority that Duquette promised us he’d focus on.

Also, are you saying Tim Beckham would be an everyday player for a contending team?!?!?!?

Probably not.

They should have traded Schoop this past winter.  I’m not sold on him repeating last years offense and I have long felt his days at second we’re numbered.  Likewise I’m not sure he is quick enough with soft enough hands for third.  

I agree the optimal time to trade Schoop has passed but I say you extend him now and trade him later if theres a team willing to trade.  As of now hes going to be (or needs to be) a top performer on the team for the near future.  Its still a bargain to extend him.  

37 minutes ago, O’s Fan in Texas said:

Long time reader but first time poster.  Including reading all 300+ of the Manny Trade Expectations thread.

I've been thinking about Schoop situation for a bit and have gone back in forth on signing vs trading.  Although Schoop has preformed better lately, I expect we would be selling low right now.  We can trade in off-season but then we would be in similar situation we were in with Manny, who wants to trade a haul for a 1 year rental?  Schoop may not be as adamant as Manny in becoming free agent and may be open to resigning before his contract is up. witch could help us. 

With our young outfield depth in the minors, I think it is unlikely that Adam Jones returns in 2019.   And with the way Davis is playing, I hope to see him in more of a DH role in near future and he obviously isn't a leader in the clubhouse. 

That said, Schoop would be the only non-pitcher veteran leader in the batting lineup and defensively.  If we can sign him to a reasonable 5-6yr deal and let him provide some veteran leadership to all the your guys hitting the majors in next few years, we should strongly consider sign him (especially if he is open to 3B).  If that doesn't seem like the right role for him, then trade him.  

Welcome to the board (as a poster)!

Archived