Dan Duquette -- any chance he stays?

Bradysburns

A month ago I would have said no chance. All the signs were pointing to Brady's ascendancy and combination of mutual disdain between DD and the organization going back to the Toronto fiasco. However, his comments after the Manny trade were certainly encouraging. Sounds like there is a culture shift going on and he may be leading it. It is possible that Brady has fallen out of favor with the performance of "his" guys reflecting poorly on his judgment. Personally, if I was DD, I would be looking to get as far from Baltimore as possible, as quickly as possible.

On the outside, it's very hard to know how much of the current team is due to DD and how much is Brady/Buck/Angelos. I would be open to giving DD a shot to run it his way, especially if that means rebuilding and going international.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on his lengthy comments about the future of the Os following the Manny trade, it definitely seems that he is gaining influence inside the organization.  I wonder if that's because he was strongly against resigning Davis/Tillman and perhaps advocated a rebuild last year (which fell on deaf ears at the time).  Perhaps those bad decisions were made by someone else (i.e. Brady) and Duquette gets to say "I told you so" now.  Of course, I am using a lot of speculation but I hope that is what happened and now ownership can forgive Dan for flirting with Toronto and extend him!

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

As long as Brady is around there is going to be meddling in the organization.  He needs to go before DD or a new GM can operate effectively.  

And Buck. I think Buck can go first.   If Brady wants to be team president or any position of authority he needs to get his locker out of the locker room and stop playing buddy buddy with the players. 

If they want to extend DD, I think DD will ask to be made GM with expanded powers. 

I think if DD is extended, then he and Buck will part ways because I do not think Buck wants to manage a rebuild, but we'll see. 

Based on developments over the past couple of days, I could see the status quo -- DD, Buck, and Brady all back.  

No one wants to lose their job in MLB without a new job. They're just like the rest of us. 

Personally, I'd like to see DD stay as GM and move on from Buck. Sounds harsh because I think Buck is a good manager, but I'm desperate for a clear chain of command. 

Brady should be in the gym and dressing room. He should not be in the Warehouse. I mean that physically and metaphorically.

Honestly I think if the rumor are true that Pete is no longer a voice at all, then John needs to give DD the keys and let him have 100% control of the baseball side for at least 2 years. Heck promote him to President of Baseball Operations or whatever freaking title he needs to show that HE is the man in charge. Then let him have full say. If in 2 years you don't like the direction he's going you fire him and find a new direction. Someone though has to be the big man/woman in the big office making all of the final decisions. This constant let me check with X and go through Y over the past decade doesn't work. Look at the good teams, look at the bad teams. The good ones have their man/woman. The bad ones have this complicated spaghetti ball mess of leadership.

1 hour ago, Paganosfan said:

Based on his lengthy comments about the future of the Os following the Manny trade, it definitely seems that he is gaining influence inside the organization.  I wonder if that's because he was strongly against resigning Davis/Tillman and perhaps advocated a rebuild last year (which fell on deaf ears at the time).  Perhaps those bad decisions were made by someone else (i.e. Brady) and Duquette gets to say "I told you so" now.  Of course, I am using a lot of speculation but I hope that is what happened and now ownership can forgive Dan for flirting with Toronto and extend him!

Right - why make him the spokesman for their supposed change in philosophies if he's not going to stick around to lead the implementation of said changes?  I think he's stayin.    

29 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Right - why make him the spokesman for their supposed change in philosophies if he's not going to stick around to lead the implementation of said changes?  I think he's stayin.    

You have to ask? B/c we’re the post-1985 Orioles. Lol.

In all seriousness- seems like a good indication- but for all we know DD viewed it as a final opportunity (i.e. most consequential transaction remaining this year) to go on record for what he would do with the organization if he could have. A kind of General Washington “Farewell Address” for posterity...

Hope not though!

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

A month ago I would have said no chance. All the signs were pointing to Brady's ascendancy and combination of mutual disdain between DD and the organization going back to the Toronto fiasco. However, his comments after the Manny trade were certainly encouraging. Sounds like there is a culture shift going on and he may be leading it. It is possible that Brady has fallen out of favor with the performance of "his" guys reflecting poorly on his judgment. Personally, if I was DD, I would be looking to get as far from Baltimore as possible, as quickly as possible.

On the outside, it's very hard to know how much of the current team is due to DD and how much is Brady/Buck/Angelos. I would be open to giving DD a shot to run it his way, especially if that means rebuilding and going international.

I don't think Brady has "fallen out of favor" as much as... he always had Peter Angelos' ear and Angelos trusted his advice.   And Peter isn't running the show anymore and probably isn't significantly involved.

I want Dan to stick around and I think it's best if he does. I would really like to see what Dan can do when he has control and his hands aren't tied. I know Dan is a big believer in International talent, so I would like to see what he can do on that front. I think after the years of abuse he's taken in Baltimore, I think he deserves a chance to show what he can do.

I do however believe Buck needs to go, and Brady needs to go or have a lesser role in the organization. Preferably, they both go. 

Archived