Tillman DFA

TonySoprano

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

So we are still not making a clean break. If he pitches in AAA he is wasting a roster spot and hurting the development of some viable player.

So tough for this organization to make simple decisions

We have five viable starting pitchers in Norfolk?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

So we are still not making a clean break. If he pitches in AAA he is wasting a roster spot and hurting the development of some viable player.

Good lord man, it's AAA. There are a ton of guys that aren't viable/ever going to be a part of the big league in AAA all over the majors. 

But hey, we gotta complain about something, right?

As for Tilly, always going to remember the good ole' days with him. Was tremendous for us for several years and took a large part in where we got during our competitive window.

It was time though, and I'm happy DD and co. realize it and are allowing the young guys a chance. Gotta really love seeing this after the quotes a couple days ago on Machado and backing it up with it here.

14 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Looks like some things haven't changed since I've been away.  

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

Ryan pitched as almost always a starter for about 27 seasons.Think about that. He was a freak of nature. No one will ever approach his strikeout record.He was a marvel in baseball. We shall never see his like again.

I used to sit right behind home plate in Memorial Stadium and watch him pitch. Baseball looked like it was the size of a pea.

Tillman deserves his own appreciation thread, but I guess that's kinda what this will be.

Now, if Duquette makes the same DFA and release of Mr. Davis, THAT would be a real eye opener.  I don't think he will, and honestly with a wasted season, I don't think we should, but that would be an absolute no doubt indicator that this team has changed its philosophy. 

It needed to happen.  He was a big part of a lot of good seasons, and it's a shame that his career got derailed by arm trouble.  Especially the timing of it where he didn't get to sign a nice big FA deal with someone.  He's done okay for himself though, and the Orioles certainly did right by him.  It was tough to watch him struggle, I hope he can find success and fulfillment in the next phase of his life.

Sad to see the end of an era, but this breakup of the team was bound to come now or at the end of the season.  I'd be happy if he pitched at AAA and helped mentor some of the prospects coming up without taking up a MLB roster spot.  I highly doubt things will change for him, but you never know....perhaps he finds himself again and becomes a viable fifth starter option or something.  The O's won't compete for a few years regardless.  Whatever happens, Tilly was a great pitcher for the O's for a number of years and pitched in some really big games.  I wish him well no matter where life takes him from here. 

Archived