Brach Trade Discussion & Expectations

Rene88

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

We had a lights out Britton and Givens was amazing. He was a surplus we didn’t need at a time when closers were going for a fortune. They also could have traded him in the offseason and didn’t. 

We were in 1st place at the deadline and Givens was not “amazing”. He was walking 4.5 per 9 IP and LHB were hitting .366 against him. All his numbers were worse than Brach’s except he was striking out a few more guys.

Trading Brach at the deadline in 2016 was not an option and I can’t imagine it was even discussed by anyone at the time.

Brach is looking like he’s going to be an August trade candidate at best. Just to move him we’d have to eat his salary plus get nothing back. We might be able to bring him back on the cheap and offer him the opportunity to close. I don’t know if we can do anything with him this year. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Brach is looking like he’s going to be an August trade candidate at best. Just to move him we’d have to eat his salary plus get nothing back. We might be able to bring him back on the cheap and offer him the opportunity to close. I don’t know if we can do anything with him this year. 

Just get him off the team before next year would be a plus. 

I believe the Orioles were thinking he would take over closer if Zach was dealt.  Then Zach and O’day were both injured and left them with Givens and Brach trying to hold the fort down last year.  This off season they may have considered it but with Odays injuries I believe they were concerned to move him if they wanted to compete, then Britton got hurt and there wasn’t anyway they were trading him and leaving Givens and injury risk O’day as only back end of pieces.  

Every July Brach goes into this HR funk. His delivery changes and he looks like a wild man  out on the mound. Why throw a hanging curve ball to aToronto hitter whose name you can't pronounce. Why? Dempsey asked the question when you throw in the mid 90's why throw a slow pitch hanging batting practice pitch to a hitter? I've never seen him throw a swing and miss curve ball. They get crushed when he throws them. Joseph or Wynns should never call that pitch again. Even if called from the dugout. He blew a chance for Cashner to pick up a win he can't seem to get. Did they say it's been over 2 months without a win?  He could have had 3-5 more wins with a decent pen and some hitting behind him.  If he was pitching for Boston or NY he would have at least 8  or more wins right now. If Brach keeps blowing games he might get chewed out in the locker room.  Maybe it's already happened to him. It was an unhappy looking team after blowing that game yesterday. Same for Scott!  He threw a fastball down the center of the plate to cost us the game yesterday after Brach started the disaster. Scott should definitely get chewed out.  He walks off the mound after giving up runs like nothing happened. No emotion! No fire! Somebody help him. He pitches like a guy with an emotional disorder or is in a fog. I really think he needs help. Greg Olsen questioned his approach on the radio.

Brad Brach 

If the Dodgers are unable to bring in Britton, they could turn to another part of the Orioles bullpen to bolster their relief pitching. 

According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers are interested in Brad Brach in addition to Britton. 

Brach, who unlike Britton pitched since the start of the season, has 10 saves in 41 appearances for the Orioles, but he possesses a 4.97 ERA in 38 innings. 

The 32-year-old right-hander would be a downgrade from Britton, but he'd still be an addition who could help Jansen throughout the final two months of the regular season and playoffs. 

Archived