Former Orioles farmhand: " I was pretty broken" when he left organization

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, weams said:

16th round. Signed for slot. Which was 100k. 

He may or may not have gotten 100K. From the 11th round on, the slot is 100k which means you can pay up to that amount without going over, but few will receive that much.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tony-OH said:

He may or may not have gotten 100K. From the 11th round on, the slot is 100k which means you can pay up to that amount without going over, but few will receive that much.

I thought I posted a link that said "slot" somewhere. I'll dig it up. 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

True,

But looking at the results of the organization, leads one to believe there might be a bit of truth to it.

We all thought Ed-Rod wasn't receptive to coaching.

But, the more of these cases pop up, it starts to build a case

I don't recall that at all. The question was whether he could locate his fastball well enough and if his slider could be an effective and consistent third pitch.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Where does it say slot for Rennie? Says slot for the Will Hurt kid by Minnesota. As a side note, Hurt slashed .205/.306/.218/.524 in two seasons and hasn't played pro ball since 2014. Some scout missed on that one.

image.png.303ec4af992861159d2d6331a65370f6.png

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Where does it say slot for Rennie? Says slot for the Will Hurt kid by Minnesota. As a side note, Hurt slashed .205/.306/.218/.524 in two seasons and hasn't played pro ball since 2014. Some scout missed on that one.

Britton is getting traded today, isn't he ;)

4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Haha.  I'm not trying to mock you ScGO's (would never do that to a fellow Carroll Countian!) and you definitely did a good job qualifying this as info to be taken with a grain of salt.  It's just funny to see it all spelled out.

You know a guy who knows a guy who's an Uber driver who picked up an Angels player who said something that Bridwell had said.  That's, like, 5th hand information.  

No doubt, as I typed it up I thought "why am I typing this out."  I know the UBER driver too, just haven't talked to him in years.  This convo happened last week as I was in town for a day, and I stopped and had some beers with my buddy in the city  right after the O's traded Manny.  We talked many things O's, but this finally came up as, "remember so-and-so, yeah, he's out in Vegas Ubering, and he told me...."  We both had the same thoughts during the convo though; "how much can you buy into this but its interesting none the less with everything going on.."

Sorry, no more 5th hand info though

17 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't recall that at all. The question was whether he could locate his fastball well enough and if his slider could be an effective and consistent third pitch.

There was a quote from somebody and I swear, I wish I could find it or remember it better.

Basically, they were talking about why Ed-Rod was having more consistency with the Red Sox, then he showed here at AA.

The gist of the quote, was, the trade was a wake-up call and change of scenery was good for him, and once he started listening better, the results on the field improved.

I can't compare this to other teams but it seems like the Orioles have massive trouble developing starting pitchers. Is it lack of proper scouting judgement to begin with or poor coaching or both? How many home grown starters have had big success with the Orioles since Mussina left?

Archived