John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

This discussion reminds me a little of when Mike Hampton asserted that he signed with the Rockies because he "had heard good things about the Colorado school system" for his kids.

Of course nobody took Hampton's claim seriously, considering that he had enough money to live in the richest areas (and/or send his kids to private schools), regardless of which team that he chose to play baseball for.

Rockies' Hampton, the Education Pitcher, Is Sticking to His Story

(By Murray Chass)

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/05/sports/on-baseball-rockies-hampton-the-education-pitcher-is-sticking-to-his-story.html

It's not the same exact situation, but the subject of the potential  "hardship" made this come to my mind.

o

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I can't there's a 10 page thread complaining about a player doing what he's perfectly entitled to do a GM trying to do his job.

PS - It's not up to you to determine what sacrifice is an acceptable on for Adam Jones to make. If you have a problem with it take it up with MLB because they negotiated this rule with the Player's Association. 

o

By the way, as I stated earlier, this also reminds me of Melvin Mora's situation in the latter portion of his tenure with the Orioles ........ I really like the idea of a player from a losing team asserting his right to utilize the no-trade clause in his contract, and decline to go to a contending team.

Mora had his reasons for wanting to stay with the Orioles, and Jones (should he choose to stay) has his. 

Any player that insists on staying an Oriole (for whatever reasons) is fine with me.

o

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would his kids have to be pulled out of school? 

This uprooting thing is really annoying me. 

There is no reason Jones' family would have to go to Philly with him.

None.

No one would be uprooted.

Because maybe he wants his family with him? 

8 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

To me, I have a memorabilia collection for sports.  I also have a bobblehead collection.  So in the same way that people like video games, or collect any of the numerous collectables out there, it's a hobby.  

Now, there are some collectors who sell who are season ticket holders, or buy tickets from season ticket holders to get into this event.  But by and large, this is season ticket holders and a fair amount of kids who want to meet their favorite players and get an autograph.  I would estimate a good portion of the season ticket holders don't even come with special items like jerseys or bats, or even baseballs, to get signed, but either take the cards offered at the table or have them sign one item like a single ball (I saved my baseballs for specific players each year.) 

Now, as I said earlier, this is one of the biggest benefits for season ticket holders.  Only 81 and 29 game season ticket holders can get into this event.  Unlike FanFest, where everyone can come and you purchase autograph vouchers, this is completely free as it's a season ticket benefit.  So yeah, when two players no-show the event and there are no reasons as to why given, season ticket holders have a right to be upset until a legitimate reason is given. 

At least they didn't publish the names again this year.  I imagine most of the people would've went to the lines for Jones and Schoop and been highly pissed off. 

I get it's a hobby, cool. But, again why is it worth getting upset about? I mean step back and think about it for a second, like seriously, someone signed their name on something.

I don't understand, I don't think I ever will. To each, their own and I hope you don't feel like I'm attacking you for something you're passionate about.  It's always been weird to me. 

Thanks for responding. 

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

ONCE AGAIN I have ZERO problem with Jones using his right to refuse the trade.

What I do have a problem with is the idea that getting traded to Philly for 2-3 months is somehow uprooting his family.

That's nonsense.

It’s not nonsense. It’s changing his life and situation as well as his family. You don’t know whether or not he’d have to move. As said before, if he wants to spend as much time with the family maybe he doesn’t want to inconvenience himself and his family? If he played for Philly, then that means there’s something like an additional 50% of games left he’s playing on the road and/or uprooting his family to be around him. 

I’d imagine he wants to make the decision of where his family goes. Not Duquette. Well within his rights.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Adam can do what he wants, but taking his kids out of school isn’t an issue.   His older boy is four years old.  

Why isn’t it an issue again? My son started pre-K when he was 2. You don’t know their schooling situation. Neither do I. But I’d presume summer school, pre-K, family time, the fans are all important to him. 

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

It’s not nonsense. It’s changing his life and situation as well as his family. You don’t know whether or not he’d have to move. As said before, if he wants to spend as much time with the family maybe he doesn’t want to inconvenience himself and his family? If he played for Philly, then that means there’s something like an additional 50% of games left he’s playing on the road and/or uprooting his family to be around him. 

I’d imagine he wants to make the decision of where his family goes. Not Duquette. Well within his rights.

ONCE AGAIN where have I said differently?

ONCE AGAIN where have I said Adam is in the wrong?

What is nonsense is that a 2-3 month period where one person will be working a couple hours away somehow constitutes a need to "uproot a family".  That is absolute silliness.  

Adam has every right to refuse to do it but it is a reality that plenty of people deal with on a daily basis.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

What is nonsense is that a 2-3 month period where one person will be working a couple hours away somehow constitutes a need to "uproot a family".  That is absolute silliness.  

Adam has every right to refuse to do it but it is a reality that plenty of people deal with on a daily basis.

Remember it’s an athlete and we have to treat them like they are special.

It’s up to Jones.  I don’t care one way or the other.  

This could be Jones last chance play in the playoffs,  You would think Jones would gladly welcome a trade. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's fine for the people who choose to do that.  In this case, Adam Jones has earned the right to make a choice as well, and it looks like he's chosen not to be apart from his family over the next couple of months.

It sounds like you don't like the terminology "uproot his family".  Can we agree that he'd either be moving his family or living away from his family for a couple of months?  Because I'm pretty sure we can agree that the solution isn't for Adam Jones to drive up and down I-95 in the middle of the night for three months.

Archived