TT: A quick look at three pitchers acquired for Britton

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, ISU94 said:

Good write-up Tony. I agree with you.

Tate is a nice get here. Like what Carrol brings too. Has setup/closer potential and soon.

How soon? Straight to Baltimore? (Not replacing Britton closing of course. But a new piece in the pen?)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, scOtt said:

How soon? Straight to Baltimore? (Not replacing Britton of course. But a new piece in the pen?)

Wouldn't shock me. He's ready. Yankees just had a crowded bullpen and a rookie in a pennant race may have been a tad worrisome late innings.

I will say my main problem with both the Machado and Britton trades so far is it's certainly quantity over quality. These reminds me more of the deals made when MacPhail traded Miguel Tejada and less that of when he traded Bedard. Granted, in all 3 of the circumstances (Machado, Britton, Tejada) they were rentals. But I get that the farm system is in dire need of talent across the board, so perhaps this is a way to reduce risk in just putting all the chips in one player.

I will also say I like this much better than the Moran trade from last year. Glad that trade was never made.

Also, Tony, it's Dillon Tate. Not Dillion Tate like you have in your article.

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I will say my main problem with both the Machado and Britton trades so far is it's certainly quantity over quality. These reminds me more of the deals made when MacPhail traded Miguel Tejada and less that of when he traded Bedard. Granted, in all 3 of the circumstances (Machado, Britton, Tejada) they were rentals. But I get that the farm system is in dire need of talent across the board, so perhaps this is a way to reduce risk in just putting all the chips in one player.

I will also say I like this much better than the Moran trade from last year. Glad that trade was never made.

This is the way I see it. Right now, a couple of high ceiling guys aren't going to take us over the top by themselves. We need to bring in guys who have major league potential. There a real chance that we have brought in 4 or 5 guys who significantly contribute to this team in the future. While we're lacking star power too, we REALLY need to find a quantity of guys who are legitimate big leaguers. A team of a couple super stars, a couple solid players, and 2/3 filled with AAAA talent (or less) is a team that loses significantly more games than it wins. Not to mention, we're going to have high draft picks the next couple of years I would assume. There's at least a decent chance we find at least one star with those picks.

7 hours ago, ISU94 said:

I can't read the whole thing without a subscription, but Rosenthal is and always has been one of the most critical people of the O's organization.  I would say this is exceptionally high praise coming from him!

8 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I understand this, I do.  And I think it is intentional that it has been this way.  And it is certainly fair to say that prospects do not always pan out.  That said, we enter this period knowing we will not be competitive for a minimum of 2-3 years.  Adding guys with potential to help then is much better than getting guys to help now.  I am pleased at both deals even as some of the more electric names some have hoped for here did not cross over to us.

Do we need some Manny Machado's and Zack Britton's?  Well of course we do.  But what we have received for about 130 days of service is going to pay years of dividends even if we do not necessarily have a slew of all stars.  It is arguably the most intelligent two weeks of Oriole baseball since 19 year old Manny Machado was inserted into third base. 

Oh and by the way, if even one of these 8 blow up into something more than anticipated.......

But to the bolded above.  I think what is very important to not forget, is that the Orioles have taken this time to get not just quantity over quality....but quality quantity.  Im impressed.  What's next?

1 hour ago, Surhoffan17 said:

I can't read the whole thing without a subscription, but Rosenthal is and always has been one of the most critical people of the O's organization.  I would say this is exceptionally high praise coming from him!

Rosenthal has had a lot of reason, rightfully so to be critical of the organization. But like any reporter/analyst, he calls them as he sees them and in this case I happen to agree, I've been pleasantly surprised by the quantity and quality of the players we've gotten in return. 

9 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

First off, thanks for the catch on the misspelled name. I yearn for the days of players being called Jeff, Mike and Jose one again! :D

I understand your point, but I guess I look at like this:

1) Both the Dodgers and Yankees are getting rentals. There is no controllability after this year so that is going to always temper returns.

2) I like the potential in the deals. We're talking about guys with some good ceilings:
Diaz - Everyday leadoff hitter/right fielder
Tate: 3rd starter or closer
Carroll: Closer late inning power reliever
Pop: Closer late inning power reliever
Kremer: 4th starter
Bannon: potential everyday 2B or 3B

That's six guys with potential to have significant roles in the future. For two rental. Really only Rogers and Valera look like throw in guys and one could be a decent utility guy and the other could end up as a Bleier type reliever or 5th starter depth.

If you were looking for the one superstar, then I could see you being disappointed, but I doubt that no doubt superstar prospect was out there in these deals. 

Now if Machado was traded last offseason then maybe, but honestly, for when the moves were made, I think the Orioles have gotten a pretty good return.

4 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Ouch.  Harder grades than at MLB.com

Love Fangraphs but find their prospect evaluation wanting.  I looked back at some of their prospect rankings va other major players over the years and they were noticeably worse. 

I am on the Kremer train. He will be a #2.  Late start as pitcher has people undervaluing him.   

Archived