Your Oriole Closer Ranking List

Redskins Rick

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, LarryBigbie said:

BJ Ryan and Chris Ray were some of my personal favorites before Zach. 

Sure don’t miss the stress from Armando Benitez! 

5 minutes ago, theobird said:

Britton was the best. He ranks among the best of all time. His numbers in 16 were ridiculous, we may never see another relief pitcher like him. That said, I am in full support of the trade, I am not at all sure if Britton will ever approach those numbers again.

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I was thinking of him as well

As I stated in the beginning, I was sure to miss some names. I guess I should have spent time in google before starting the thread.

BJ Ryan only close 1 season for the Orioles before being traded away.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He might have been a fireballer at the time but...when he got here I remember him throwing slow and slower.

I’d never even heard of the guy, I had to look him up. ?

judging by his stats for the year he was here, the only fire he had was for the gas can. 

2 hours ago, esmd said:

1.  Britton

2.  Olson

3.  Tippy

4.  Jim Johnson

5.  Randy Myers

6.  Lee Smith

7.  Aase

8.  Ray

24 minutes ago, theobird said:

Britton was the best. He ranks among the best of all time. His numbers in 16 were ridiculous, we may never see another relief pitcher like him. That said, I am in full support of the trade, I am not at all sure if Britton will ever approach those numbers again.

These are exactly correct IMO. Britton 2016 was a perfect season. I got to see him close out DET on the road in 2014. That is probably my favorite in-person highlight from our 2012-17 run. Perhaps the only negative I can think of for Britton was he seemed to run out of gas in the KC series.

Very close call between peak Olson and peak Britton. Olson's curveball was a sight to behold. But I would have to give the edge to Britton because the team was winning at the time whereas I think '89 was the only season the O's contended with Olson. Just feels like Britton saved more big games for us.

Also fond memories of Tippy Martinez. My dad took me to watch him in the box seats behind home plate in the late innings when Memorial Stadium cleared out to show me up close the best curveball in MLB. He should be on the list just by virtue of the three pickoffs.

1. Britton 

2. Olson

3. Johnson

If we are going to acknowledge the likes Chris Ray and BJ Ryan, then I think we are leaving out someone deserving of mention. Understanding that the role of the "closer" has evolved -- especially since the 1969 institution of the Save rule, the addition of the Designated Hitter and other changes in strategy -- there is an Oriole whom I think qualifies for inclusion: Eddie Watt. I realize that few will be impressed by his 74 Saves, but Watt, who was the starting pitcher in 14 games as a rookie, threw @ 515 innings in relief over eight years as an Oriole, posting a career ERA as a reliever in Baltimore < 2.70 and a WHIP < 1.13. He kept the ball in the park pretty well, too, allowing @ 0.5 HR/9. I think I would put Watt above Ray and Ryan on my list of top Orioles' closers

Tippy was before my time, and while I remember Olson, I was a little too young at the time.  But it all depends on if you prefer the devastating curveball or unhittable sinker.  Olson gets the vote for consistency and duration of stay since this year and last were lost for Britton.  But, for sheer dominance I have to go with Britton.  A WHIP south of 1.000 for three straight seasons, that is flat out dominant.  

17 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

1. Britton 

2. Olson

3. Johnson

If we are going to acknowledge the likes Chris Ray and BJ Ryan, then I think we are leaving out someone deserving of mention. Understanding that the role of the "closer" has evolved -- especially since the 1969 institution of the Save rule, the addition of the Designated Hitter and other changes in strategy -- there is an Oriole whom I think qualifies for inclusion: Eddie Watt. I realize that few will be impressed by his 74 Saves, but Watt, who was the starting pitcher in 14 games as a rookie, threw @ 515 innings in relief over eight years as an Oriole, posting a career ERA as a reliever in Baltimore < 2.70 and a WHIP < 1.13. He kept the ball in the park pretty well, too, allowing @ 0.5 HR/9. I think I would put Watt above Ray and Ryan on my list of top Orioles' closers

While I am old as dirt, and I remember the name Eddie Watt, I dont remember much, I just wasn't an Oriole fan at the time.

74 saves for that ERA was pretty significant, and much like Tippy, he would throw 1-3 innings, which limit back to back games sometimes.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

As I stated in the beginning, I was sure to miss some names. I guess I should have spent time in google before starting the thread.

BJ Ryan only close 1 season for the Orioles before being traded away.

On Year. 36 saves. I take Jim Johnson over that. 

Archived