-Next 8 starts 

55.1 IP, 8 HR

2.60 ERA 

BA .192, OPS .609

last 8 starts 

39.2 IP, 15 HR

ERA 9.08 

BA .343, OPS 1.101

In his 2 good stretches 9 HR’s allowed in 87 IP. 

Two bad stretches 24 HR’s in 48.2 IP. 

-First bad stretch was talk of groin. 

-Second bad stretch off of ankle injury.  

He allowed more HR’s in his second good stretch but also lower BA. He goes from being a number 2, (at worst) at his best to being a AAAA pitcher. Clearly all pitchers have good and bad stretches but this is extreme. 

Arm fatigue, IMO.    He’s just not cut out to start every five days for six months.    

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m leaning that way.   It’s a shame, because when he’s fresh, he’s an excellent starter.   

He had the reputation a workout animal when he was drafted, but I do wonder a bit about his conditioning. He’s not exactly svelt; looks like he carries some baby fat in his neck and face, etc. Not accusing him of being lazy or whatever, but I do wonder about his conditioning. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

He had the reputation a workout animal when he was drafted, but I do wonder a bit about his conditioning. He’s not exactly svelt; looks like he carries some baby fat in his neck and face, etc. Not accusing him of being lazy or whatever, but I do wonder about his conditioning. 

Yeah, I would like to see him try to change his body a bit and see if that makes a difference.  Maybe he needs to do Pilates ala Arrieta?

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

I think he has a thick build. He gets a lot of his strength from his lower half. Like Clemens. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I think he has a thick build. He gets a lot of his strength from his lower half. Like Clemens. 

If thick equals fat, then I hope the Orioles advise him to lose it. Not trying to be harsh, but if his problem is mainly stamina then they should reconsider his conditioning program. 

8 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

If thick equals fat, then I hope the Orioles advise him to lose it. Not trying to be harsh, but if his problem is mainly stamina then they should reconsider his conditioning program. 

Why would he need to lose weight? There are different body types. It may be an arm stamina issue. Not everyone is built like Jim Palmer.  

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why would he need to lose weight? There are different body types. It may be an arm stamina issue. Not everyone is built like Jim Palmer.  

I didn't say lose weight. My point is that if he's having stamina issues, then his conditioning program may be inappropriate. 

6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

U don’t lose 5mph off your fb and a bunch of rpm off of your breaking stuff do to conditioning. He’s injured or otherwise broken. I don’t see how any parent with a top pitching prospect would allow him to sign with the O’s.

You are telling me if your son is a college junior and the O's take him #2 and offer him 7.5M to sign you are telling him to go back for his senior year?

So he can get 2M?

15 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

U don’t lose 5mph off your fb and a bunch of rpm off of your breaking stuff do to conditioning. He’s injured or otherwise broken. I don’t see how any parent with a top pitching prospect would allow him to sign with the O’s.

I actually mostly agree with you on this. I think his conditioning needs to be evaluated, but I don't think that's his main problem. Where did you see rpm data on his breaking stuff? I can never seem to track these data down. 

Was looking at Bundy’s career stats today ... looking pretty close to Brad Bergesen atm. More K’s, more wins, and higher WAR, but similar ERA in about the same number of innings.

I guess my point is that I didn’t think much of Brad Bergesen and Bundy shouldn’t even be whispered in the same breath, ideally. But here we are.

Archived