Superstars that come out of nowhere (sort of)

Frobby

Everyone’s drooling at the high pick we’ll get next year and for the next couple of years, but what we really need is a superstar or two who comes from a spot not that heralded.     

Mike Trout - no. 25 overall pick

Mookie Betts - no. 172 overall pick

Aaron Judge - no. 32 overall pick

Those are three top examples, but there are lots of them.    I’d love to see one of them fall our way.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Everyone’s drooling at the high pick we’ll get next year and for the next couple of years, but what we really need is a superstar or two who comes from a spot not that heralded.     

Those are three top examples, but there are lots of them.    I’d love to see one of them fall our way.

I'm not sure I'd qualify Trout and Judge as over achievers. They were still drafted pretty high...

I know the verdict's still out on this players, but I think better examples might be Max Muncy and Jesus Aguilar.

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Ryan McKenna - 133 rd pick

I'd love to see McKenna develop into a good major league regular, but it's too soon to say that he will.   He came on like a house on fire at Frederick this year, but has been just so-so at Bowie.  He's young, so I don't hold his Bowie performance against him, but we will need to be patient and see how he adjusts as he moves up the levels.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree with you totally.

Just curious, for the Orioles, who has been their best player taken lower in the draft?

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So would I. 

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I agree with you totally.

Just curious, for the Orioles, who has been their best player taken lower in the draft?

David Hernandez, who is of Mexican-American descent, was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 16th round, 483rd overall pick, of the 2005 Major League Baseball draft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hernandez_(baseball)

Paid fifth round money. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

David Hernandez, who is of Mexican-American descent, was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 16th round, 483rd overall pick, of the 2005 Major League Baseball draft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hernandez_(baseball)

Paid fifth round money. 

Sounds good, but he had success after the Orioles, much like many guys that have come through the org.

I

Archived